Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Budget scope for NP2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:44 am 

What is a good budget scope for a "tuned" NP2?This gun shoots 14.3gr @860 fps.After around 2800 pellets the OE Centerpoint scope has pieces that look like glass rattling around inside.I seen a Walther airgun scope that is a 4x32 non adjustable.Is this strong enough?I can only spend $150 tops.I will only be shooting 10- 30 yds so I don't really need adjustable power levels.I was thinking a smaller lighter fixed power scope with fewer internal parts might hold up better.Any suggestions on scopes and mounts.Maybe a better shock absorbing mount?Thanks for any replies.

Post subject: Re: Budget scope for NP2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:48 pm 

I have been looking most of the day at scopes and my budget.First what should I get for a mount? A one piece adjustable to keep reticle centered? Or a one piece with rubber bushing to absorb shock?Both of these are in the $75-80 range.Scopes that are in my budget are Hawke 4x32 AO Vantage,Hawke 2-7x32 AO Vantage,UTG 3-9x32 Bug Buster,UTG 3-9x40 Hunter and the Walther 4x32.Are any of these strong enough?I only have around $160.00 to spend so if I use these mounts it will limit my selection.Any recomendations on mounts or scopes I should look at would be very helpfull.Since money is limited I don't want to buy something that will fail.Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:51 pm 

The Bug Buster seems to be a popular air rifle scope.
It's on my wish list.

Myself I prefer a scope with an adjustable zoom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:55 pm 

Another vote for the bugbuster, or one of the other UGT scopes. I've got the 3-9x40 and it holds zero well so far. Price is right, and being able to correct parallax up close (5 yards in my case, 3 yards for the bugbuster) is nice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:01 pm 

Sid66 wrote:
What is a good budget scope for a "tuned" NP2?This gun shoots 14.3gr @860 fps.After around 2800 pellets the OE Centerpoint scope has pieces that look like glass rattling around inside.I seen a Walther airgun scope that is a 4x32 non adjustable.Is this strong enough?I can only spend $150 tops.I will only be shooting 10- 30 yds so I don't really need adjustable power levels.I was thinking a smaller lighter fixed power scope with fewer internal parts might hold up better.Any suggestions on scopes and mounts.Maybe a better shock absorbing mount?Thanks for any replies.

860fps....pretty good numbers...who sells the np2 in Canada.....I want one..... :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:30 pm 

I have also heard good things about the UTG scopes but no first hand knowledge,I was kinda already leaning that way.The gun was purchased as a non pal version. Piston and seal are sanded to max limit.At least .030" taken off piston face after welding the hole up.Sanded seal to .015" headspace.I only have about 1/4 dia of the pin for preload on the Nitro spring.I gained 1.5 mm stroke.There prob not room to sand piston further,if I damage it somehow will have to buy a new piston.Ps the crosman pellets @ 860 have about a 3 inch or bigger group @35',I use 18 gr Sniper Magnums mostly and it shoots those at 790-800 with 1/2" groups @35'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:49 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
Sid66 wrote:

860fps....pretty good numbers...who sells the np2 in Canada.....I want one..... :D

Exactly - 23.4fpe, or thereabouts. Is it accurate? If so, how accurate?

I wrecked a bug buster on a Bam 28C in .22. Didn't break it, just locked up the power wheel - to non-turnable.

I would put a better scope on that magnum .22 NP2.

A straight fixed power 4X would likely be about the best all-round for strength and power.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:04 am 

Not really sure how accurate it is at distance,I have only shot in my basement @35'.The most accurate pellet I tried so far is 21 gr Barracuda @675 fps/21 ftlb.The heavier the pellets were, the more accurate it seemed to become.then I started losing zero.then pieces started rattling around.In all fairness to the Centerpoint scope,during the tuning process I did sand too much from the seal once causing the piston to hit and making a mark that needed more sanding.That would be extreme dry fire when metal to metal contact is made.Pretty sure that is what killed it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:49 am 
Site Moderator

My suggestion --- Hawke 4 x32mm with AO ( about $130Cdn). If you can spare the extra cash then the 3-9 version would be an option.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:44 pm 

TCooper wrote:
My suggestion --- Hawke 4 x32mm with AO ( about $130Cdn). If you can spare the extra cash then the 3-9 version would be an option.

Thanks for all the suggestions.I think I have wife talked into spending a little more.What mounts would you suggest adjustable,http://airgunsource.com/fx-no-limit-mounts-1%E2%80%9D-weaver-picatinny/dp/2497 ,mounts with rubber bushings,http://airgunsource.com/sports-match-1-dampa-mount-high-weaver-picatinny/dp/1862 I am going to put the weaker Nitro spring in it.That setup is a lot smoother and I still get 680-690 fps with 14.3 gr or 600-610 fps with 16.3 gr.Hopefully the scope can survive better this way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:29 pm 

The Optician 3X9X42 from SSSO.Specialty shooting Sports Outdoors.
I have used this scope for a couple years now and i'm pleased with it.
Its not as compacted as the bug buster but it looks good on a full size rifle.

Sports Match mounts are nice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:28 pm 
Site Moderator

Sid66 wrote:
TCooper wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions.I think I have wife talked into spending a little more.What mounts would you suggest adjustable,http://airgunsource.com/fx-no-limit-mounts-1%E2%80%9D-weaver-picatinny/dp/2497 ,mounts with rubber bushings,http://airgunsource.com/sports-match-1-dampa-mount-high-weaver-picatinny/dp/1862 I am going to put the weaker Nitro spring in it.That setup is a lot smoother and I still get 680-690 fps with 14.3 gr or 600-610 fps with 16.3 gr.Hopefully the scope can survive better this way.

I would use regular 2-pc mounts with 4-screws on the ring and 2 on each clamp. The Leapers and Hawke brands have them for under $30. One pc mounts are available from these companies for a few dollars more. I wouldn't bother with the rubber bushing stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:08 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions.If I don't use the expensive mount then I can spend more on a scope.The Hawke 3-9x40 just became a viable option.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:24 am 

Don't make that mistake! ...if one scope broke likely more will - get a Dampa mount & that way you can skimp out on the scope till later. If you buy a higher priced scope now .. you really want to risk shocking it to pieces ... ?
I have some posts on the forum about scope/Dampa mounts

All the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:51 am 

Decisions Hmm what to do.Looks like I will wait till I have more cash to spend.The amount of time and money I put into this break barrel I could have bought a Discovery with pump.I think I got more enjoyment out of "tuning" it.I should have just bought the $80 Canadian Hunter.Heck I could have 3 with scopes for the money I have already spent.