Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: ...trading airguns....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:29 am 

....Anyone else trade their airgun in for a shovel lately ? ....My snowblower with 2 hrs. on it won't start ....I'm 70 ....Does life really end this way ? ....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:54 am 

Don't knock having a shovel, they have MANY uses...even after their done with the intended ones. 8)

Even if you don't like AK's, it's an entertaining read....

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulle ... mi-warning

Al

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:22 am 

If the gas has been sitting for even a couple weeks I would try fresh gas. I had a snowblower do this before. It was working perfectly the last time I used it and not starting the next time. Small engine repair friend said try fresh gas first. First pull it started.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:16 am 

...Gippeto,....great read ....."hunter01" , gas is fresh, carb is clean (just not passing gas, lol) ...Once I lay down I can't get up.....don't mind while shooting 'cause I can shoot forever, but not working on a snowblower .......It's back to rain now, so I don't give hoot.....Maybe I'll just shoot it !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:37 am 

If that blower has a 2 stroke motor than my money is on a fouled plug. Even been known to happen on four bangers. I'd pull it out and check the condition. These can't be more than a couple of bucks to replace, might as well throw a new one in.

The other avenue to pursue is this: look for a label that may contain these words: "Made in China". If so you solution is even simpler: load it up to the pickup and return it to Chinese Tire.

I'm handy with a shovel then again I'm not 70. And even my collection of winter tools has shown me two things: can't live without them and they're killing me (starting with my back - man, this been a tough winter for us). topic75172.html

The biggest downside of not having a shovel when a zombie storm approaches is that you can't (I couldn't) throw a snowblower at them. A well used, naturally sharpened shovel from all that scraping against concrete would make a great weapon for when you run out of bullets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:17 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Don't knock having a shovel, they have MANY uses

So true, couldn't have rebuilt the giant ice slide with a snowblower. Chinooks took a toll on the slide but a new dump of snow along with temps down to -27C meant version 2.0 was higher and faster. Kids loved it. For 2 days. Then a new chinook arrives and it's melting once again.

Moral of the story: shovels aren't only for smashing zombie heads.

Attachments:
giant-ice-slide-version-2.jpg
giant-ice-slide-version-2.jpg [ 97.21 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:43 am 

I have been spending time with a shovel also.My 20+ yr old snow blower died a painfull death.Lots of knocking then bang rod out the side.I am really gonna miss it as I have a big driveway,prob 6 hours of shoveling.I am not 70 yet but 51 and not really liking that much shoveling in one shot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:58 pm 

On the topic of gas,
beware of gas stations selling gas with ethanol.
Its okay in cars and trucks that are daily driven but not suitable is engines that sit for long periods.
Its something to do with the ethanol attracting water.

thumper have you considered having somebody clear your driveway for you for a fee?
A buddy of mine has an arrangement, $25 a storm to clear his driveway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:18 pm 

SureShot wrote:
On the topic of gas,
beware of gas stations selling gas with ethanol.
Its okay in cars and trucks that are daily driven but not suitable is engines that sit for long periods.
Its something to do with the ethanol attracting water.

thumper have you considered having somebody clear your driveway for you for a fee?
A buddy of mine has an arrangement, $25 a storm to clear his driveway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is what we do now, that someone stole my S Blower. Last year it cost us $125.00 and this year, $100.00 only. At $1,350 for a new blower to replace the old one, it's cheap and it's done at 05:00 to 06:00.

The fellow uses a cat tractor with a bucket - and it's a quiet one - I never hear him doing either of our driveways.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:49 am 

....Lots of good responses, which I do appreciate .... I've been messing with engines all my life and, in this case, I think ethanol may be the culprit....I'll find out when I pull the carb to check the primary and secondary circuits ....they may just be plugged as there's gas going in but not going through ....That ethanol will kill outboards, it's wicked....If you want leaded gas, go to your local airstrip....They can't mess with anything aviation, so 80/87 is still a leaded fuel and most small planes use it (smells great) ....It's been a few years now , but regulations regarding aviation are written in stone....I usually gas up my TR3 ('59) with gas from the Courtenay airstrip, but it's been a while....I'm signing out 'cause this is an airgun forum .... thanks all ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:00 pm 

100LL (l00 octane low lead - "low" being a relative term as it has a lot of TEL in it compared to the leaded automotive gas that used to be available, but significantly less TEL than the 100/130 avgas it replaced) is just about the only avgas you can purchase these days. Automotive gasoline has long had various additives that improve it in some way but reduce its long term stability which is why long before ethanol became a common additive it was wise to either drain the fuel system or add a stabilizer for long term storage. Using 100LL will also work well. It will however deteriorate the engine oil much quicker than unleaded and you may well find the spark plugs are affected by lead fouling. Neither of these is that big a problem for something like a snowblower.