Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Fantasy air rifle?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:35 pm 

If you could get someone to make your perfect air-rifle, what would you like to see?

Personally, I'd take something that can be taken down for easy transportation. Like a 410 TDR

With a nice walnut stock, checkering and blueing

I'd like it to be regulated, with a simple/repeatable way to adjust the power... like the FX

A toggle action like the Steyr would be nice

I'd want it to be accurate

Be able to use peep-sights

And a picatinny for optic

-
All of this, at a $ I can afford :drinkers:
-

And (please of please) have readily available magazines that are not $75/each

-

So what's your fantasy?

Post subject: Re: Fantasy air rifle?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:35 pm 

these are actual rifles-- but airsoft. I fantasize with my little eye these being made in bb or pellet . affordable and not overpriced like the walther lever action that is;t even a true replica . will they soon be real or only fantasy-- time will tell.

Attachments:
Western1.png
Western1.png [ 605.76 KiB | Viewed 1849 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:07 pm 

Those would be neat, using the Brocoks air cartridge system...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:34 am 

sillymike wrote:
If you could get someone to make your perfect air-rifle, what would you like to see?

Personally, I'd take something that can be taken down for easy transportation. Like a 410 TDR

With a nice walnut stock, checkering and blueing

I'd like it to be regulated, with a simple/repeatable way to adjust the power... like the FX

A toggle action like the Steyr would be nice

I'd want it to be accurate

Be able to use peep-sights

And a picatinny for optic

-
All of this, at a $ I can afford :drinkers:
-

And (please of please) have readily available magazines that are not $75/each

-

So what's your fantasy?

I'd like to add semi auto and under 7 lbs .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:49 pm 

I'd like something like an Edgun Leshiy, but instead of a regulated PCP make it an SSP. Use the initial breaking in half leverage to pull a piston forward in the stock using a strong connector rod and rack and pinion gear to drive the piston such that by the time it's open to about 100° the cocking stroke is complete, enough air compressed to maybe 1,500psi to deliver a 600fps shot with a JSB 18.13gr in .22" or a 750fps shot with an 8gr .177" pellet from a 10" to 12" barrel. Closing is just swinging it closed after loading, no resistance, as making that the cocking stroke would result in some nasty pinching. Seems to me if you're making a compact rifle which breaks in half anyway, and it's tough as nails anyway, why not make it self-sufficient as in no need for pumps? If 100° wasn't enough then make it possible to pump twice for more power, like an Alecto pistol but without the CLACK since it'd be finished the stroke without closing anything, just a little whistle as the air pushed into the reservoir. Considering the very modest effort required to get a 7gr pellet out of a Baikal 46m at around 460fps, it seems likely to be practical with a modest increase in effort to bump the power up with the vastly more robust build of the Leshiy. Some shooters may find it too hard to use... but so what, different stuff for different folks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:16 am 

Interesting idea! The Leshiy is an interesting little beast, but the shot-count is way too low for me to ever consider buying one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:28 pm 

I'm building my own. but if I had the option of everything I want. It would be made of titanium. all of it except the stock.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:07 pm 

I'd go with a takedown rifle too!

I want a 500 fps, regulated, PCP, supressed, repeater.
So basically a low powered, regulated Marauder pistol with a nicer shoulder stock instead of the flimsy plastic stock that comes with it.
Maybe something that folds or retracts?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:44 pm 

A shoulder fired rifle based on rail gun tech. Although not an "air" rifle per-se, nothing touches the projectile, I.E. powder, expanding gas, etc. so it could be considered air.

Of course, battery technology needs a quantum leap first, but we are only pushing pellets here, not a 20lb missle killer projectile.

It would have to be regulated in some way because the slug \ pellet would blow right through the rifling at rail gun speeds. Maybe a rheostat to dial it up or down.

Hey, you DID say fantasy :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:21 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
I'd go with a takedown rifle too!

I want a 500 fps, regulated, PCP, supressed, repeater.
So basically a low powered, regulated Marauder pistol with a nicer shoulder stock instead of the flimsy plastic stock that comes with it.
Maybe something that folds or retracts?

My QB78D is already built so I don't include it as a 'fantasy' air rifle, though it's decently accurate, weighs just 7.2lbs scoped with a nice Leupold 2-7x VX-1, delivers over 125 regulated shots just under 20fpe, and takes down to fit into about half the volume of a reasonable sized backpack, including an expanded PVC sheet and foam cover to keep everything in place. Tubular 6061 aluminum stock is rubberized and locked on with a push button detent, and is very solid. The only real weak point is the 8 shot magazine. Wish it were side lever operated and that I didn't have to tilt the rifle to the side to avoid the pellet rolling forward and getting jammed when pushing the bolt home... something I'll resolve somehow, maybe a thin shim bonded to the over-sized pellet tray, maybe something else. But it works if I'm careful and is only a tiny bit annoying having to turn the wheel by thumb.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:30 pm 

Something with a little more refinement maybe :wink: nicer air tank and mag.
Isn't the shoulder stock too low?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:53 pm 

Guess I have a tall face, 'cause the stock puts my eye in the perfect spot with a good cheekbone weld. A lot primitive, I know. Elegance is wanting. But so t goes when starting with a used, chopped down QB. Sorry, I double posted the same image, meant to post this one in the pack... and now I can't edit that post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:26 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Guess I have a tall face,

Hey, join the club...I prefer medium rings or even high, especially with cheek piece or high comb rifles.

By the way, I LOVE that rifle. Great job.

Now I personally do prefer wood over the "pipe" look, but yours looks neat, plus you BUILT it for goodness sakes! That makes it a 9\10 right out of the gate :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:35 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Guess I have a tall face, 'cause the stock puts my eye in the perfect spot with a good cheekbone weld. A lot primitive, I know. Elegance is wanting. But so t goes when starting with a used, chopped down QB. Sorry, I double posted the same image, meant to post this one in the pack... and now I can't edit that post.

It's a very nice set but we're talking fantasy stuff here!

I don't get the flimsy shoulder stock that comes with the Marauder pistol... it's a 400$ US gun and it comes with a 25$ shoulder stock. Come on! If we could buy one I'd like to pay 100$ more and have a decent shoulder stock. The least they could have done is put one similar to the one you have. It seems much better than the cheapo 1399 Crosman stock.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:47 pm 

Yeah, or something as solid as the Edgun Leshiy. From both the maker and several users' statements it seems one can pretty much drive nails with that stock. And it's an air cylinder going to what, 250 bar? With a regulator in there! *snap* Locks shut, solid as can be. Of course that's a pricey little folder...