Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Don't do this!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:52 am 

I'm normally a sensible careful person so I can hardly believe I did something so stupid!
I was cleaning a barrel last week and had the bright idea of not removing the barrel but just stuffing a rolled up sponge ear plug into the breach to prevent fluids from getting where they're not suppose to be. When I was done it was time to remove the plug but it was too far in so I decided to shoot it out. I happened to be in the kitchen and didn't want to make an oily mess so I grabbed an old rag from under the sink and held it to the muzzle.
I fired the shot and couldn't believe the pain! The plug tore through the rag and through the side of my finger. It must have severed the nerve because most of my finger from there up is numb or tingling. I don't know how those tv cowboys handle those "It's just a flesh wound" moments but I was hooping around like I was hit with a taser. In after thought I guess the fluid soaked plug must of compressed and became quite dense. I tested another through the crony and it registered 956 fps. Being sponge it would have decelerated quickly but point blank it's as lethal as a lead pellet. I then fired another plug at this piece of Masonite point blank and could hardly believe it.

So a warning to those that use cleaning pellets. Treat them like you would a regular pellet at close range.

Post subject: Re: Don't do this!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:10 am 

Yipes!! Hopefully your finger will heal up ok! That thing was really moving!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:38 pm 

I only fired one felt cleaning plug when at the range - luckily not damaging my gun, which has been working fine for over a couple years now. The super sonic crack was unmistakably & loud. These felt pellets should be treated as any other projectile would be - dangerous - as aged noted above.
To bad about the finger, man.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:49 pm 

:shock: :shock: OUCH :!: :!:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 pm 

Trigger finger? I hope not!
I am guilty of a few thoughtless moments as well that could have ended very badly. Luckily I came to my senses in time.
I still relive them though. What if.......
Now whenever I get the feeling something is not quite right, I walk away until I get it sorted out in my head.
Thanks for the reminder and follow up testing to play/work safe. Your tests certainly illustrate the danger.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:45 am 

I shot myself in the pinky cocking a hatsan 125 pistol. Didn't realize my pinky was wrapped around the muzzle, and stupidly my trigger finger was on the trigger when I flipped the barrel up, it went off. It felt like someone flicked my finger, thats all. I didn't realize I was even shot, till the blood started running down my hand. The pellet traveled around my finger and lodged on the opposite side. I had to have it removed surgically. However I felt no pain. Only a little throbing a few days later. which I assumed was from the butcher job the doctor did. He tried to pull the pellet back out through the hole, and in doing so he squashed the skirt and couldn't get a grip. So he dug and dug until he managed to get a grip. All the while I was telling him to slice my finger where the lump was and push it out. But he ignored me. Doctor knows best ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:26 pm 

It might be worth a trip to the HR... it's be a shame to loose the use of a finger (or get and infection)...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:19 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
I shot myself in the pinky cocking a hatsan 125 pistol. Didn't realize my pinky was wrapped around the muzzle, and stupidly my trigger finger was on the trigger when I flipped the barrel up, it went off. It felt like someone flicked my finger, thats all. I didn't realize I was even shot, till the blood started running down my hand. The pellet traveled around my finger and lodged on the opposite side. I had to have it removed surgically. However I felt no pain. Only a little throbing a few days later. which I assumed was from the butcher job the doctor did. He tried to pull the pellet back out through the hole, and in doing so he squashed the skirt and couldn't get a grip. So he dug and dug until he managed to get a grip. All the while I was telling him to slice my finger where the lump was and push it out. But he ignored me. Doctor knows best ?

I find it's best to just do it yourself, on minor jobs like that. just kidding. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:03 am 

Daryl wrote:
joe hickey wrote:

I find it's best to just do it yourself, on minor jobs like that. just kidding. :roll:

I honestly did consider it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: