Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: safe storage question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:56 pm 

Ok, so all my PAL airguns are in the safe or trigger-locked. All my powder based ammunition is locked up.

Do the pellets or bbs have to be locked/stored in a separate area from the non-pal airguns? I cannot give ammunition to someone without a PAL but can I give them pellets that might be used in a PAL rated airgun?

Like many of our laws it's confusing! What is the controlled component? I hope it's not air!

BTW what happened with that 2014 Supreme Court Ruling that airguns under 500fps were firearms except for licensing? Does that apply to storage? When I first heard it I stuffed all the non-Pal guns in the safe... it might be that I need a larger safe... how do I explain that to the wife?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:10 pm 

It simply says "Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms." Here, I guess firearms are the airguns requiring PAL and pellets associated with them is the ammunition.
Sub 500 fps are exempt from all of this. I emailed them recently regarding transport requirements and that is all I was told so technically you could store and transport them however you want. However, there are plenty of situations that would constitute a "bad idea" but there is no guidance on that so it's a case of being sensible (whatever that means...).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:51 am 

When in doubt ...stop.., think "safety " and "security ".
Treat them , as you are , locked up the same as you would a Rem. 700.
Handing off pellets ( or any ammo ) should be to someone you Know and Trust..and preferably safety trained at least...otherwise , no way..no apologise