Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:00 pm 

Pellet appearance can be deceiving with the naked eye....These three brands all look pretty good at first without magnification....However the Daisy HP's are actually quite knarley under a little magnification.Crosman Destroyer appears to have a sharply defined top rim with a needle point but in reality it is quite rounded off.....The H&N wad fares a little better under mag but is still rougher than the glass surface it appears to have with the unaided eye..but it does seem the higher the price...the more refined the pellet...usually... :D oops...I forgot my point....just wondering if these tiny imperfections account to a noticeable degree of inaccuracy.Would a glass smooth Daisy Hollow Point be more accurate? I have seen people separating individual pellets by tenths or hundredths of a grain from the same tin for optimum accuracy but what about pellet surface condition...

Attachments:
a.JPG
a.JPG [ 32.45 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
b.JPG
b.JPG [ 145.78 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
c.JPG
c.JPG [ 26.38 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:09 pm 

Can you magnify a JSB 8.44 I want to see how good they are? or bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:10 pm 

and for your question for sure if they are not perfect they won't group well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:13 pm 

FRANK wrote:
Can you magnify a JSB 8.44 I want to see how good they are? or bad.

I have some jsbs coming in....I chose the magnification you see here because at great mag all pellets look like the surface of the moon....So I had to cut back to where we could see if air flow over the surface would alter pellet path and by how much.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:08 pm 

I found that the alloy pellets will be smoother on the skin than the lead pellets, i.e. The H&N Green etc...

However it's said the lead pellets usually have better accuracy than the alloy pellets...

So actually this is not very important then?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:25 pm 

YepYep wrote:
I found that the alloy pellets will be smoother on the skin than the lead pellets, i.e. The H&N Green etc...

However it's said the lead pellets usually have better accuracy than the alloy pellets...

So actually this is not very important then?!

Tin alloy pellets do present a smoother surface.....but their inaccuracy is more to due to lighter pellet weight...speed, etc....I suspect a super smooth, highly polished, perfectly balanced lead pellet would outperform a perfectly balanced, UNPOLISHED regular pellet of the same type due to the manner of air flow over the surface.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:24 pm 

I'm not sure pellet surface finish is that much of an issue. The Daisy .22 hollow points don't look all that great under magnification, but seem to shoot surprisingly well for what they are~ a cheap pellet.

Crosman had some really nice wadcutters. They appeared to be quite cleanly made, and shot quite well. The obvious forming die seam marks on them did not seem to alter much. While hardly a precision competition shooting pellet, both the above were a good value, and generally hit what they were aimed at. Would they do a one hole stack? Unfortunately, no. Both produced fliers at 12 Meters- nothing glaring. sometimes a one in five flier would open up a tight group to over .20" on centers. This was especially true of the old crosman "Competition" wad cutter. I'm fairly certain the performance of these were affected more by variations in individual pellet weight, than surface finish.

The JSB heavy in .22 has a surface finish that doesn't look all that great under magnification. They shoot extremely well and appear to be cleanly made though.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:34 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I'm not sure pellet surface finish is that much of an issue. The Daisy .22 hollow points don't look all that great under magnification, but seem to shoot surprisingly well for what they are~ a cheap pellet.

Crosman had some really nice wadcutters. They appeared to be quite cleanly made, and shot quite well. The obvious forming die seam marks on them did not seem to alter much. While hardly a precision competition shooting pellet, both the above were a good value, and generally hit what they were aimed at. Would they do a one hole stack? Unfortunately, no. Both produced fliers at 12 Meters- nothing glaring. sometimes a one in five flier would open up a tight group to over .20" on centers. This was especially true of the old crosman "Competition" wad cutter. I'm fairly certain the performance of these were affected more by variations in individual pellet weight, than surface finish.

The JSB heavy in .22 has a surface finish that doesn't look all that great under magnification. They shoot extremely well and appear to be cleanly made though.

-D.S.

Well....I actually have found the same thing with the Daisy Hollow point .22s....I use them to shoot small soup cans at 75+ yards so that's accurate enough for me...It could be there just isn't enough disturbance in air flow over the cuts and grooves. I'm not about to start polishing pellets one by one to find out and if the JSBs are rough looking at magnification...then surface condition is not an issue....to a point anyway....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:50 pm 

Polishing a soft lead pellet will easily change its shape then certainly lowers its weight I think....

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe