Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Diana 240 Classic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:37 pm 

:wink: Apologize my bad english, french Quebecer here.....

Went to Sail in Laval to look at the junk Chineese airguns. To my surprise,they had a Diana on display,240 Classic.

Asked the clerk to go for a new in box one for me to inspect,the gun was ok and no blemish.
Paid $249.

Went home and tear it down before even trying it. Damn! was i surprised to see such quality! Had all kind of airguns, the only one that was on par was my HW45.

Found little grit inside and rusty color gooey that cleaned-up nicely in hot water and dish soap.
Nice acethal spring guide,no top hat (will turn one on the lathe) Surprisingly,the spring was nicely ground at both end,d'ont know how they derated it to under 500fps.....

Very nice thick compression tube,full cross hatched WITHOUT any weld,should be concentric. Did not miked it but buttoned the piston and went in nicely.
Piston seal was not nicked and no deburring was needed.

Was about to order a HW30S, now i think that this little gem should give the HW a run for his money.... :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Diana 240 Classic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:27 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

What did you use for buttons?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:32 pm 

Woody wrote:
What did you use for buttons?

Used plastic from a screw container,plastic soda bottle like

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:19 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

meccano wrote:
Used plastic from a screw container,plastic soda bottle like

I tried that once, couldn't get them to stay on. What did you use to stick them to the piston?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:32 pm 

meccano wrote:
:wink: Apologize my bad english, french Quebecer here.....

Went to Sail in Laval to look at the junk Chineese airguns. To my surprise,they had a Diana on display,240 Classic.

Asked the clerk to go for a new in box one for me to inspect,the gun was ok and no blemish.
Paid $249.

Went home and tear it down before even trying it. Damn! was i surprised to see such quality! Had all kind of airguns, the only one that was on par was my HW45.

Found little grit inside and rusty color gooey that cleaned-up nicely in hot water and dish soap.
Nice acethal spring guide,no top hat (will turn one on the lathe) Surprisingly,the spring was nicely ground at both end,d'ont know how they derated it to under 500fps.....

Very nice thick compression tube,full cross hatched WITHOUT any weld,should be concentric. Did not miked it but buttoned the piston and went in nicely.
Piston seal was not nicked and no deburring was needed.

Was about to order a HW30S, now i think that this little gem should give the HW a run for his money.... :mrgreen:

Overall, well-spoken meccano. For some reason, I wish that many EFL (English as first language) members could do as well. :?

But I digress from the topic at hand: Forgive me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 am 

Hi All,
I'm new to air rifles and to this sight What are "buttons" and what do they do?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am 

Probably adjustments.

Can you show a picture?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:22 pm 

pcrosewood wrote:
Hi All,
I'm new to air rifles and to this sight What are "buttons" and what do they do?

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=38716.0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:15 pm 

Woody:
Sorry you had trouble with that... Here's what is probably a more detailed description of what's in my guide, minus the pix:
I sand the piston and button so there's a rough surface for the glue to bond to. I usually fresh/sharp 320 wet/dry but I suppose 220-400 will work too. I sand in all directions so it's a maze of grooves. I then clean both surfaces well with brake cleaner or alcohol or whatever you have that leaves no oily residue. Most people use Krazy glue but you can also use epoxy, if epoxy just be sure it works with plastic. I also wrap the button around a small shaft, like a small screwdriver so it holds a curve that matches the piston, this way the edges won't be fighting to break free when gluing. I hold the button by the very edge with tweezers, apply a bit drop of glue, spread it around with a toothpick and place on the piston. Then I take the rubbery kind of electrical tape (not vinyl but I suppose it'll work too) and wrap the piston so it's basically clamping the button firmly and evenly to the metal. When I wrap I'm careful to be sure the tape is covering the button 100%, but the tape does not lay over the two sides to make an air tite seal b/c the glue needs to vent whatever chemicals in order to dry. Epoxy maybe not, but Krazy glue for sure. Let dry, which btw is not seconds for "instant" glue and better left for at least an hour but I suggest hours to be certain. Same with epoxy, 5min takes much more than 5 min. I'm in the desert so it's warm, and I rekon cold slows drying of either so something to keep in mind. Maybe warming it a bit will help. I've heated the piston to ~120F to speed it up, and while I believe it helps I can't say for sure. I usually do one button at a time since more than one is rather tricky to tape and keep them all in place.
When using Krazy glue there is sometimes an air bubble trapped, if so you can just peel the button off and try again, or just barely lift an edge w/ a razor and let a drop glue soak in and retape. Once dry I sand the edges of the button all the way down so nothing can catch on it.
Almost always you have to sand the thickness of the button down to get it back in the gun, just try to sand it evenly.
Some guns have so little clearance that you'd end up sanding the button off to get it to fit, so for those you need to sand the OD of the piston down to make room. A generic Crosman B18 has room for ~.004" of button, and most plastics we find are closer to .010-.015 so you have some sanding to do and since plastic is tough I suggest a Dremel.
Many guns, like the B18, the receiver tube is smaller at the aft end which I find annoying b/c you'd need to sand to fit past that and thus you lose button thickness and it's looser inside. I make a hone to open the tube, which is just a stick wrapped in duct tape, then sandpaper. The end product is a rather tight fit in the tube so it can sand well. I chuck the assy into a drill and sand until it's the proper ID. Btw I update the guide a little here and there so if you want the latest I can send.