Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 pm 

Wondering if it could be a squrrel gun... it looks nice, but being .177 it dosent have much of a pourpose... could probably take down a rabbit qith light pointed pellets but a .22 would be better, which is why ive been asking about the 1322...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:00 pm 

Is that a PAL rifle? If so, a velocity of 800fps to 950fps would be perfect for shooting tree squirrels as far as your accuracy will allow solid head or chest hits.

I used a German made, likely an RWS air rifle (borrowed) when I was a kid in the 50's, for shooting squirrels. It worked a treat and was much better than my <500fps Slavia .177 rifle.

My HW97 .177 runs 890fps av. and has been good for gophers out to 55yards with head and chest shots - none have been crawl-aways.

A PAL .22 would be better, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:40 pm 

Non PAL was around 490 with 7.9grn, and said airhawk with a full power spring shot about 800 with 8.2s

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:16 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Is that a PAL rifle? If so, a velocity of 800fps to 950fps would be perfect for shooting tree squirrels as far as your accuracy will allow solid head or chest hits.

I used a German made, likely an RWS air rifle (borrowed) when I was a kid in the 50's, for shooting squirrels. It worked a treat and was much better than my <500fps Slavia .177 rifle.

My HW97 .177 runs 890fps av. and has been good for gophers out to 55yards with head and chest shots - none have been crawl-aways.

Im not sure what my stock 1970 Slavia 620 put out in FPS, but i dragged home dozens of snowshoe hares. Often killed out past 40 yards. My airhawk got the full power spring treatment which seems to be the only way to improve the Ruger Diana clone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 am 

tango wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Im not sure what my stock 1970 Slavia 620 put out in FPS, but i dragged home dozens of snowshoe hares. Often killed out past 40 yards. My airhawk got the full power spring treatment which seems to be the only way to improve the Ruger Diana clone.

I have a full power Airhawk at 946FPS. Also a 550Fps Airhawk (open sights) but my best one is 696FPS. It shoots super smooth and never misses a bullseye. It is my best shooting airgun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 am 

This goes in line with what a member said here recently, it may have been leadsliinger, that keeping the speed around 700fps to be the best compromise. You recall which spring you used? Gotta replace the spring in mine one of these days, would like to stay in that sweet spot of around 700 to 750fps too.

Edit: how many Airhawks in the collection? Any variations, like a BlackHawk in the mix?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:07 pm 

Joolz wrote:
This goes in line with what a member said here recently, it may have been leadsliinger, that keeping the speed around 700fps to be the best compromise. You recall which spring you used? Gotta replace the spring in mine one of these days, would like to stay in that sweet spot of around 700 to 750fps too.

Edit: how many Airhawks in the collection? Any variations, like a BlackHawk in the mix?

Ruger airhalk, airhalk elete, blackhalk blackhalk elite, youkon (i think)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:01 pm 

Video Ruger Air Hawke- 960fps with 7.4gr. Crossman HP's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOPF_qb78_E

Then he gets into Dieseling - which you should NOT do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:41 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Then he gets into Dieseling - which you should NOT do.

I once bought a used Phantom from a guy that only had it a short while, once he realized it was a very bad idea to shoot a crows from his balcony, not far from the downtown core. It came with a laser sight and a tube of PellGun oil.

It wasn't till I tried the gun later that I realized the reason he had the pellgun oil: to make it shoot a lot faster than the sub 500fps this .22 gun was rated for. Pellets nearly went through my duct seal. And it dieseled like crazy, as one can expect. So yeah, he had the bright idea to pour pellgun into the barrel to attain faster speeds.

After a rigorous cleaning job I shot that gun quite a while without any problems. It's a good thing he came to his senses and decided to sell it before it blew up into pieces. Or worse, had the cops show up at his door.