Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:52 pm 

I bought this pistol around the time the weather turned cold, so i have only fired it indoors using low power. Works great, amazing pistol, I love it. However, i decided to finally try high power after maybe 250 rounds of low power only. I am hitting WAY low at 25'... like 4" low. Anyone else see this before? I love this pistol, its extremely accurate using low power but after about 50 rounds using high power the accuracy is so different i dont know what the explanation might be. Using R10 Match 8.2gr in .177 cal. Any ideas??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:46 pm 

Do you have a chrony to take a look at the muzzle speed?

In general, the original 177 version HW45 has a detuned power plant which the 22 version is full power.

Mine is 22 full power HW45 the high power cock gives over 5fpe over 400fps. So I feel much difference between the two power level... However when the gun just came home I used the lower power for some hundred shots and I never chrony mine at the lower power and used the low power then.

So I am not sure if the difference between the two power levels would be as same between the detuned 177 and full power 22. Because the power plant is different, but the cocking stop spot for the two power is same.

And, shooting low (poi lowered in same distance) sometimes not means power getting low. In 10 to 20 yards something, the pellet is still climbing up in its trajectory. In a fasterspeed, it would arrive the target at a lowered spot but uses less time.

And to a HW45, we talked most about how to tame this Beast. So you know it becomes very sensitive when using full power and you need some special technique to shoot it as well as the low power...

Keep trying and found your own way to make friends with your lovely 45~ (and check the chrony reading if you can)

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:31 pm 
Supporting Members

I have 3 barrels for my P1/HW45
.177 .20 and .22 and you would be surprised by the difference it makes between calibers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:36 pm 

notec wrote:
I have 3 barrels for my P1/HW45
.177 .20 and .22 and you would be surprised by the difference it makes between calibers.
Yeah! And if OP's 45 is original 177 which had been detuned with a different power plant, so I couldn't make a conclusion about it. The best way is to put it through a chrony to find out what happened ~

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:19 am 

Thanks guys, i do not have a chrony so I'm SOL there. The puzzling thing is how consistent the groupings are at both power settings, only the high power shots are about 5" lower at 25'. I will go through another 100 rounds or so to see what happens...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:50 am 
Site Moderator

What you are experiencing is normal for that pistol. The HW45 recoils upwards like a real powder burner. At low power, the pellet stays in the barrel longer and that changes your POI. It's just something you have to be aware of when switching between power levels.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:52 am 

I see what you are saying now... that makes some sense for sure. I am no stranger to pistols but this is my first springer and its a powerful one, so i will keep practicing! Any tips on shooting techniques or things to keep in mind when firing the HW45 on high power would be most welcome. Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:57 am 

Follow-up question/request: I think it is time for me to get myself a chrony, any recommendations for a stand-alone unit that doesnt use computers or smartphones? I know there are many out there and i will do some research... but if anyone has good or bad experiences with any of the stand-alone setups I would be interested to hear about them. Many thanks all...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:10 am 
Site Moderator

When shooting the HW45 I would hold with a very mild firmness, like shaking a lady's hand.
I hold with the right hand and support with the left.
The index finger of my left hand supports under the trigger guard and my fingers lightly wrap around the right hand.
Keep all thumb pressure off the side of the pistol.
Make sure the tang of the pistol points down the middle of hand web so the pistol doesn't twist during recoil.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:42 am 

TCooper wrote:
Make sure the tang of the pistol points down the middle of hand web so the pistol doesn't twist during recoil.

Yep! When the gun fires, from its movement in your hands, you will tell you gripped it correctly or not... The gun balanced by itself very well, everything goes well, you won't feel much of jumping, twisting, pulling, anything and the pistol just like shooting by its own and the pellet will just spot on the target...

If your palm, fingers, arm...anything applied unnecessary effort on the gun, it's very sensitive and will react to that immediately and you will see you miss the target ~

A bit challenge but very rewarding ~

~Target~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:09 pm 

Codswallop wrote:
Follow-up question/request: I think it is time for me to get myself a chrony, any recommendations for a stand-alone unit that doesnt use computers or smartphones? I know there are many out there and i will do some research... but if anyone has good or bad experiences with any of the stand-alone setups I would be interested to hear about them. Many thanks all...

I like the caldwells and if you shoot indoors get it with the lighting kit,Amazon had the best price fyi..,kelly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:16 pm 

TCooper wrote:
When shooting the HW45 I would hold with a very mild firmness, like shaking a lady's hand.
I hold with the right hand and support with the left.
The index finger of my left hand supports under the trigger guard and my fingers lightly wrap around the right hand.
Keep all thumb pressure off the side of the pistol.

Good stuff.
another method of actual holding with both hands, is to attempt to let go (barely holding) with the gun hand, and squeeze that hand onto
the grip with the other hand.
ie: let go with the right hand, and squeeze that hand onto the grip with the left hand. All the right hand actually does, is to
pull/squeeze the trigger - straight back. It depends on the trigger "pull" how much finger must be on the trigger. Less is better
and makes it easier to squeeze the trigger straight back. The tendency with too much finger on the trigger, is to pull the gun
to the right with the trigger finger if a right handed shooter - opposite for left handed shooter.
This takes some practice, but can eliminate the left and right hand hits if squeezing with the right hand and pushing or pulling with the
other hand.
As with shooting springer rifles, the gun must be held exactly the same each time, so the recoil is exactly the same each time, or the poi
will not be the same, shot to shot.