Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Do Metalmags work
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:16 pm 

??? Y/N

Post subject: Re: Do Metalmags work
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:19 pm 

Yes they work just as well as the regular polymags. I found the tips tend to fall out easier than the regular red tips . Either way I would prefer to use a good heavy domed JSB . And they don't cost as much .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:57 pm 

They sure do, these shells are .308 and I have hit them with my FX Cyclone with JSB 15gr pellets and bent them up pretty good.

Today I went to the range with some .22 Metalmags that I have been trying to sell without much luck.

Using my HW 97k, shooting right in at 650 fps. After a sight in session I thought I'd try shooting some shells off the floor. I hit the chrome 9mm shell and heard it hit the floor. By the sound I knew it had penetrated. To my surprise it went through.

So I thought I'd try the .308's again with the Metalmags.

Wow, pierced right through the other side.

Metalmags no longer for sale.

Attachments:
Blog PicsBlog PicsCIMG2956.jpg
Blog PicsBlog PicsCIMG2956.jpg [ 55.26 KiB | Viewed 1386 times ]
Blog PicsCIMG2959.jpg
Blog PicsCIMG2959.jpg [ 78.99 KiB | Viewed 1386 times ]
Blog PicsBlog PicsBlog PicsCIMG2963.jpg
Blog PicsBlog PicsBlog PicsCIMG2963.jpg [ 79.58 KiB | Viewed 1386 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:03 pm 

If the squirrels arround here start wearing armour , I'll buy more. Until then domes are good enough. Pretty impressive none the less what the do at 650 fps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:27 pm 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
If the squirrels arround here start wearing armour , I'll buy more. Until then domes are good enough. Pretty impressive none the less what the do at 650 fps.

Wow I'll say! Thats only 650??? Hard to believe, sheesh. Probably should have bought them off him..I looked more than once. I did get those Meisters though. Fair price and I saved the tax. Replica sells them for 10.50 a tin, I know other places charge 15 bucks but i wouldnt pay that.

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/rws-177-caliber-meisterkugeln-pellets-airgun-ammunition

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:03 pm 

Yeah, I swore by Predator Polymags on squirrels for a while, but then found that JSB 18.13gr worked just as well so no need to pay the Predator premium. Polymags do the job well though, if you feel like using them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 pm 

Shot the .308 shells lots of times with jsb's at different velocities and never penetrated like this.

Not comparing the penetration value to flesh.

But for arguments sake, lets say squirrels did develop hard brass skulls through millions of years of evolution, well, metalmags would work better than Jsb's

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:54 pm 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:

X2.

Does one usefully have to measure pellet damage when shooting brass shells, or is it just sufficiently cool to know they were accurate enough to hit the target shells? If you have an air gun suitably rated for your quarry at an acceptable distance, does the shot really require more than a domed pellet? My answer, after trying original and metal polymags is no: they do not give you any more apparent "killing power" than equally accurate domes. The exception may be in, say, .25 cal, when you're trying to kill a 'coon or another pesty beast outside the recommended varmint category of the gun. Generally, they do give you the advantage of knowing your carefully placed shot will, perhaps, more definitely give you a clean kill.

People shooting paper or small pests should not invest in Polymags other than just because the brand name is cool. In the process of using up my remaining Polymags (both metal and original), I can foresee little pleasure because the "bang for buck" is generally inferior to my preferred domed pellets. Here's my summary assessment:

- Polymags are not cheap; they are generally 20-35% more expensive than quality domed pellets

- Polymags are considered by many/most to be very accurate pellets.

- Polymag pellets are designed for shooting small/medium game/pests.

- Polymag pellets, by general reputation, which was built from skillful marketing, are considered a more "destructive" varmint pellet.

- Polymag pellets have a "cool" factor and are worth a try, just because every air gunner should.

- Polymag pellets have never been proven (by actual, game-shooting demonstration) to be superior to domed pellets (in a typical kill/no kill challenge).

Summary:
Polymags are rarely, if ever, worth more than an equally accurate/consistent domed pellet in most shooting experiences; enhanced shrapnel (if any, affected by FPS and target make-up) is typically not a significant factor. Given equal costs, proven-compatible domed pellets should be given the edge in target situations, and Polymags may be given the edge in small game/pest hunting situations when proven as accurate as the domed pellet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:27 am 

Oh heck, here's MY opinion... I buy the oddball stuff just to have FUN with it ;) Dont care about pennies or nickels or dimes or a few bucks for that matter...now sometimes I get OFFENDED by the price of something and wont buy it just for that reason, but normally I dont care.

At my longer, not at home range I love putting up pop cans or bottles of water just to see what they will do!!! Maybe a piece of 1" pine.

I've got the poly's, those funny ones with the steel BB in the nose, those light weight guys with the full plastic skirt (green for .22 and red for .177 or visa-versa), I have those silly Crosman Piranhas, and the copper plated things...all of them almost full still and the look cool SO on my pellet shelf too!!

Everyone has a different way of thinking and writing for that matter and some folks write like it comes directly from the hand of God, but you talk to them or correspond via email and they are not like their posts at all.

Peter, please dont stop posting cool stuff like that which you did. I'm sure there are many others like me that think its really neat to see stuff like that...I'd LOVE to see what a true 900fps would do to the .308 case for example. So I'll say thank you and I spent a good while just looking at the cool pictures...and nice shooting by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:37 am 

peterdulux wrote:
Don't know why I bother. This site is becoming so opinionated to the point that if it doesn't fit the reader, their likes and dislikes, just tear the post to threads.
The negative over analyzing of peoples ideas and posts is really not doing anything to support, promote and encourage the sport.

My post was simply a "wow cool" factor kind of post. Not a hey you have to buy these pellets cause they kill pests better than others.

If people want to spend money on pellets, who are you guys to condemn and judge what they spend their money on anyway.

The point was, do they penetrate, yes they do. I hit the same shells at over 900fps with domes out of my Cyclone and the penetration was, well, they didn't penetrate, dented and disfigured for sure, but not like this.

So take this statement and spin it anyway you'd like. :butthead:

What the hell, man?

Subject: Do Metalmags Work?

Your Opening Post: Yes or No?

My Response: My particular viewpoint/angle on your subject matter. If the point was, "Do they penetrate," then why the hell didn't your subject say so, and why didn't your OP expand on that point.

Tear the post apart!? Considering the subject and original post, I don't think anyone could even call my post off topic, never mind destructive. Where am I condemning anyone for their choice in pellets? Or judging anyone?

Perhaps my answer would have been different (no, probably non-existent) if you had opened the thread with your "wow-factor" pix and statement, but you didn't. You asked your audience, "Do Metalmags work? Yes or No? You have an on-topic answer from my perspective.

Cool your jets, junior. Just because you know your point, that doesn't mean we do unless you actually state it. And by the way, even if your point is crystal clear, it doesn't mean you're not going to get some "over-opinionated" asswipe to look at your point from a different view. That's a funny thing about forums and open discussion.

Peace.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:05 pm 

I get a laugh out of this place- always personalities before principles :wink: and that is unlikely to ever change.

D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:48 pm 

Well said Doc. Thanks ITGUY.

Anyone reading this post will notice that Edmonton 500fps has a quote that doesn't appear in the thread. The reason it's not in the thread is because I deleted it shortly after I wrote it. A little self reflection. After I deleted it, I refreshed my browser to be sure it was deleted, and it was. So, someone was trolling.......

Any way, It would appear that above mentioned trolls this site looking to enforce his canadian airgun sharia law. The fact that he copied and reposted my "deleted" post just goes to prove what I stated in the post.

As to the way I titled my post or any of the verbiage I use, sentence structure or what ever, you just have a way of rendering your opinion, presuppositions into many of your posts.

So I made a new post just for you to not comment on.

topic75506.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:24 pm 

peterdulux wrote:
Well said Doc. Thanks ITGUY.

Anyone reading this post will notice that Edmonton 500fps has a quote that doesn't appear in the thread. The reason it's not in the thread is because I deleted it shortly after I wrote it. A little self reflection. After I deleted it, I refreshed my browser to be sure it was deleted, and it was. So, someone was trolling.......

Any way, It would appear that above mentioned trolls this site looking to enforce his canadian airgun sharia law. The fact that he copied and reposted my "deleted" post just goes to prove what I stated in the post.

As to the way I titled my post or any of the verbiage I use, sentence structure or what ever, you just have a way of rendering your opinion, presuppositions into many of your posts.

So I made a new post just for you to not comment on.

topic75506.html

I must have responded while you were deleting. But OMG! Now I'm a troll. Let it go. I'm done, for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 pm 

Wasn't just you. I read the rather angry response you quoted too, was puzzled, considered responding to that myself but then decided to shrug it off as a bad mood or whatever. Was surprised to return to the thread when updated and find the quoted post missing, thought perhaps a moderator deleted it, but no, turns out the author did. Then proceeded to attack you again. Go figure. Guess he's having a really bad day.

Usually I ignore threads with mis-spelled words in the title (unless it's an understandable error), obviously silly subjects (unless I might get a laugh), or something obviously intended to get a fight going. This one seemed fair enough... but then I found the first post's content to be rather, well, thin. I mean "??? Y/N" doesn't say much. Still, perhaps worth following... and then since it seemed there were worthwhile thoughts and experiences getting contributed I felt like commenting with my own rather neutral experience with Polymags... which didn't tempt me towards using the even more expensive Metalmags since I could see no benefit. Squirrels with armour is a fun notion, but until artist Jeff de Boer of Calgary branches out from cats and mice, and then a squirrel saves up the starting price of about $10,000 for a fitted suit of the stuff, it's not really relevant having an armour-piercing pellet. Cool though. And that's about it. Punching holes in brass is cool. Nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't offer anything better than a dome on FT targets, paper, gongs, whatever. But hey, no need to get all bent out of shape about that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:27 am 

To however briefly return to subject...

My experience has been with the polymag predator only.
They do need to be driven at, or better than design velocity, before they will expand consistently. In the case of .177, mid to upper 800's seem to be required. I found it took 860 to 880 to get them to open up in water filled paper cups. .22 seems to be a little more forgiving- I had them expanding nicely at 820 m.v. in the same test media. Perhaps the extra weight and mass in .22 helps. I would expect similar velocity requirements in the metal mags- just based on similarity of pellet design.

Drive them slower than what they were designed for, and they will over-penetrate...

-D.S.