Canadian Airgun Forum
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/

What's the difference between these dot sights ?
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic77833.html
Page 1 of 1

Author:  YepYep [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  What's the difference between these dot sights ?

It looks all are 'holographic' types?

The first one is the one I have been using for a long time on several guns I have, the RioRand.

The second one is like a scope not only a reflecting glass. Similar price tag.

The third one is from the brand names, much higher priced and same like a scope...

I am going to buy one more dot sights as it's very good for short range and durable. I want to try the scope type, but don't know if it worths the switching...

ImageImageImage

Sent from my LG mobile

Author:  wesb2007 [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

My Dad uses the cheap scope looking one you show there and it works great for him. He shoots great with it out to 30-40 yards and likes it for grouse hunting. Nice and durable, less chance of breaking when hunting than the single glass version like I have.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Author:  wesb2007 [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

I guess the advantage of the top one you show and the single glass I have is that it has that extra adjustment lever that switches the sight style from crosshairs to dot etc. Which gives you more options. If I remember right the scope version only gives you little crosshairs in two colors and different brightness settings. I could be wrong so maybe someone can confirm.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Author:  YepYep [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

wesb2007 wrote:
I guess the advantage of the top one you show and the single glass I have is that it has that extra adjustment lever that switches the sight style from crosshairs to dot etc. Which gives you more options. If I remember right the scope version only gives you little crosshairs in two colors and different brightness settings. I could be wrong so maybe someone can confirm.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Yeah, you reminded me it seems the scope like dot sight really don't have those different types of dots other than the single dot of crosshairs. But actually That's the fancy function as I tried everything, and go back to use the single dot only...

Sent from my LG mobile

Author:  leadslinger [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

Personally I like the bushnells. I find your eye centers the reticle better esp when mounted on a pistol. Where the reflex style I find you gotta search for the dot. Also I like smaller profile ones of the TRS25. I had one mounted on my 1022. Got one mounted on a Ruger 22/45 as well.

But smaller the dot is better for target. So you want a 3MOA.

Image

Also the mount I found on the second one sucks. It barely clamped on dovetail, or weaver. Tried 2 different sights with the mount and was no impressed.

Also save a few bucks for the same sight w/o AK optic on it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bushnell-Trophy-T ... ords=TRS25

You can get a Chinese copy of the TRS for under 30$ shipped off ebay if you search micro or mini reddot. Not a bad sight I had it on my 22/45 before I switched to the TRS25.

Author:  Daryl [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

This one is stronger.

https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-RMR-Dua ... B00XVKXRRE

Author:  rsterne [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

I don't particularly like the tube style on a pistol where it is a long way from your eye.... I find that they obscure your view of the target quite a bit.... kind of like holding a thick toilet paper roll up at arms length and trying to aim through it.... In addition, a lot of red dot sights suffer from parallax error, and unless you have the one you want in hand, and check for that (or know someone who has), you won't know if parallax is a problem or not....

I prefer the holographic screen type, because they have a very open field of view, so they don't obscure the target, and the one I use has almost no parallax error.... I'm not sure how they manage it, but they do.... I use this one....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tactical-Hologra ... 1438.l2649

It is one of the few that is available to fit an 11mm rail, most are only Weaver mounts.... This one you can get either way.... It is sold under many Brand Names, including Center-Point and Walther.... all come from the same factory in China, AFAIK....

Bob

Author:  Daryl [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

Bob, that is a lot cheaper than the one the guys use for IPSC. They seem to like it/them.

Author:  YepYep [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

I just placed my order for that before replying the message here ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

And that's very true that a reflecting mirror will give you much wider view than the tube. That's a big advantage to have it.

Sent from my LG mobile

Author:  Hawk-I [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

rsterne wrote:
I don't particularly like the tube style on a pistol where it is a long way from your eye.... I find that they obscure your view of the target quite a bit.... kind of like holding a thick toilet paper roll up at arms length and trying to aim through it.... In addition, a lot of red dot sights suffer from parallax error, and unless you have the one you want in hand, and check for that (or know someone who has), you won't know if parallax is a problem or not....

I prefer the holographic screen type, because they have a very open field of view, so they don't obscure the target, and the one I use has almost no parallax error.... I'm not sure how they manage it, but they do.... I use this one....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tactical-Hologra ... 1438.l2649

It is one of the few that is available to fit an 11mm rail, most are only Weaver mounts.... This one you can get either way.... It is sold under many Brand Names, including Center-Point and Walther.... all come from the same factory in China, AFAIK....

Bob


Well, from Bob's comment and input...it is what I needed to reassure me. So I just now hit the 'Buy it Now' button to get one before they're all gone. Seems there were only a few still available from the Seller (store?) on ebay.
Personnaly I was leaning towards the 'scope' lens (tube) type...but never having 'tried' one on a pistol ...one never knows.

This experience of having someone 'in the know' contribute to sharing their experience is what I find so fascinating and highly valuable to be on this Forum. So, thank you guys...and especially Bob for chiming in with his contribution and reference.
ATB,
Hawk-i

Author:  rsterne [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

Hope you like it.... I have several....

Bob

Author:  wesb2007 [ Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

That's a great price! I've got the same one, but from Amazon, and it's $30 on there. I found mine has a small bit of parallax variability using it at the 8 yard limit of my basement, but outside it works well. I switch to the little laser I bought for close shooting inside

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Author:  leadslinger [ Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

Daryl wrote:
Bob, that is a lot cheaper than the one the guys use for IPSC. They seem to like it/them.


Problem nobody going to use a ebay optic in IPSC, alot use Cmores, or switched to Vortex or Cmore STS. Being that they made a new optics division in IPSC.

I have no issue using my TRS25 from 3-15Y. And even out to 25. Or 3MOA dot at 100.

Reddots are mean not to use like scopes where one eye is closed. I have no issue seeing the target with both eyes open.

Author:  Joolz [ Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What's the difference between these dot sights ?

I have one similar to the holographic one rstern posted the link for (and a few other non tube ones) and there's one major reason why I prefer these: you can easily diminish the intensity of the dot by means of a simple mod - while you can't on the tube types.

I've made a thread in the past on how to do this but in short, you place a small piece of car window tint in front of the laser bean (keeping it in place with scotch tape). This will reduce the intensity of the red dot to your liking, as well as cut back on the glare as even the smallest of dots can have some glare around the core of the dot. I find that for indoor shooting even the smallest dot at the least provided intensity level to be too bright/big and thus obscuring the target. This mod allows you to make the dot as small/faint as your heart desires. Of course this wouldn't be adequate for outdoor shooting in bright sunlight but ideal for darker basements.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/