Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 pm 

So I've bought a few more replicas and I'm starting to itch for higher-end rifle.

I narrowed it down to the HW100 because I tried Alextermination rifle this summer and was amazed at the trigger. That thing was like magic, it felt like I squeezed first stage and the trigger pulled my finger to fire. And it's also beautiful and very accurate.
But there's so many models to choose from. HW 100S / HW 100T?

I'm also a sucker for take down rifles. I must have watched too many spy movies. So I had my eye set on the AirArms TDR.
Is it has good as the HW100? The one available right now has a bolt but I saw a vid of one with a lever which I would like more and then there's the regular versions S410/S510...

Am I missing something? A rifle I didn't think about? I'm not a hunter so I don't really care or need big power. I like compact and accurate rifles. I want a repeater in .22 because the pellets are a easier to handle with my crappy hands.

I have a Hatsan AT44 and a Crosman 1701P that I turned into a mini carbine with a gorgeous JoeHickey stock.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:47 pm 

Of these two, the HW100 is probably the most rational choice.
- Better shot counts
- Regulated
- Been around forever (or so it seems)

This been said, the TDR is just so darn cute :D
And they're supposed to be coming up with a 510S TDR (side lever cocking)

The one take-down I've been lusting over lately is the FX Verminator, but for a reason or another, finding one in 177

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:27 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Of these two, the HW100 is probably the most rational choice.
- Better shot counts
- Regulated
- Been around forever (or so it seems)

This been said, the TDR is just so darn cute :D
And they're supposed to be coming up with a 510S TDR (side lever cocking)

The one take-down I've been lusting over lately is the FX Verminator, but for a reason or another, finding one in 177

That's it! The 510 TDR! Rational... no idea what's that suppose to do or what I'm supposed to do with it.
We're talking about grown ups buying 1000$ air guns, rational has been thrown out the window a long time ago :lol: :wink:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:58 am 

The FX Verminator is SOOOOO cute !!

I must get me one while I retired and have time and money !

Sent from my LG mobile

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:31 pm 

I have experience with the hw100, s410 and s510. What distances are you planning to shoot at?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
That's it! The 510 TDR! Rational... no idea what's that suppose to do or what I'm supposed to do with it.
We're talking about grown ups buying 1000$ air guns, rational has been thrown out the window a long time ago :lol: :wink:

Just a tip: If you ever need to rationalize the $$$ for an airgun to your better half... get her (or your kids) involved in 10M air pistol/rifle shooting. Next thing you know, she'll think it's normal that an airgun cost over 2K and that PCP rifle at $1000 will actually be a bargain!

Another I like to do when rationalizing a new gun, is to amortize it over (let say) a 4 year period (Never mind that I seldom sell anything... but that's another story)

So, my logic goes as follow
- Cost of gun ($1000) / 4 years = $250 a year to own it
- $250 / number of hours I'll use it (lets say 2H a weekx52: 104) = $2.40/h

Which would you rather have? That new shinny rifle or

Back on topic, Kral is making something similar to the TDR and Verminator

Kral Puncher Big Max storage

KRAL Puncher NP02

They're not that expensive... but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend my $$ on something with limited support this side of the border

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:26 pm 

Or how about one of those Ataman rifles ?
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Ataman_M2R_Carbine_Ultra_Compact_Air_Rifle_Walnut/3836

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm 

TriggerHappy416 wrote:
I have experience with the hw100, s410 and s510. What distances are you planning to shoot at?

I don't have any set distances. How the the AirArms compare to the HW100?

sillymike wrote:
Just a tip: If you ever need to rationalize the $$$ for an airgun to your better half... get her (or your kids) involved in 10M air pistol/rifle shooting. Next thing you know, she'll think it's normal that an airgun cost over 2K and that PCP rifle at $1000 will actually be a bargain!

Another I like to do when rationalizing a new gun, is to amortize it over (let say) a 4 year period (Never mind that I seldom sell anything... but that's another story)

So, my logic goes as follow
- Cost of gun ($1000) / 4 years = $250 a year to own it
- $250 / number of hours I'll use it (lets say 2H a weekx52: 104) = $2.40/h

Which would you rather have? That new shinny rifle or

Back on topic, Kral is making something similar to the TDR and Verminator

Kral Puncher Big Max storage

KRAL Puncher NP02

They're not that expensive... but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend my $$ on something with limited support this side of the border

I don't need to justify anything LOL I'm the reasonable one which seems weird when talking about 1000$ airguns but I really am.
Where she buys a lot of cheaper stuff I go for the big items LOL
If you add up the new shoes here and there, a few purses, a new coffee machine, stuff for her nails, hairdresser. I'm good.
She doesn't complain much. She complains about my airguns the same way I complain about her handbag addiction. I don't get the point but as long as the bills are paid and there's food on the table, what is there to really complain about...
I'm not a big fan of the double tank airguns. I prefer the classic lines

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 pm 

Cute is puppies and kittens.

The Air Arms S510 is perhaps aesthetically one of the nicest PCP's, but it's main shortcoming is it's not regulated. The HW100 is regulated and gives consistent shots, it's easy to adjust and built like a tank. I've had both and the German PCP was my favourite.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:47 am 

The AAs are much lighter in the field and easier to carry. Like others mentioned, the regulated HW100 delivers much more consistent velocities and more usable shots per fill, but is bulkier and heavier. AA mags are fully enclosed so there's no chance of a pellet falling out in the field. HW100 mags hold more shots and are slightly cheaper.

I personally like shouldering my AAs better than my HW. My 510 has an aftermarket regulator installed so it has the best of both worlds.

The reason I ask about shooting distance is because the AA won't have as consistent a shot string as the HW100 when you crank the power up. The shot string is very flat unregulated when your shooting around 600fps in .22cal. If you're keeping it under 30 yards, it won't make much difference in groupings. I have a S410 carbine (same cylinder volume as the TDR) that gets 80-90 consistent shots on low power (480fps) with a 2.9k PSI fill. Shots are within +5 -5 fps.

I think the main criteria for you to focus on is the takedown design or the traditional one piece rifle. If you're planning to go on hikes and go hunting with it, I would go for the AA TDR. The HW100 is a better bench rifle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:42 pm 

Great... now I want both... just kidding, I already wanted both :lol:

Like I said no hunting so 600fps is fine. If I could get a non-PAL rated version I would.
The only long distance I'm interested in doing is the AirgunDepot long ranger challenge and I can borrow a high power rifle for that.
I have the long, heavy and bulky with the Hatsan, I'm not really interested in another si I'm leaning towards the TDR even more.
I always bring at least one airgun when going on vacation, no mather where, because you never know when a shooting opportunity might show up so being able to bring something more beefy than the P17 and still easily fit it with the rest of the luggage even if we're taking my car instead of the wife SUV.

How about the Russian Ataman? Anyone gave it a try?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:12 am 

You Want The Top Bollocks Out Of The Box .... AirArms S510 Fac , Walnut .22. I promise that You will not be disappointed.
You may get bored of the Laser accuracy, but the Finish and Smoothness will always bring you back.......also still a British Company.
Daystate also a wicked airgun , I have old Wolverine .30 and an Air Ranger .22, 50 FPE. Both manufactured in England, with detail and Craftmanship.......since selling out to Minnelli , Their quality of wood has downgraded, the prices have increased like crazy....
Not the Quality Arms That they used to be ....IN MY OPINION.

Also Have the Weihrauch 100, also a smooth rifle, nothing that you would not expect from the Germans. Again extremely accurate, of coarse. I prefer the feel /balance of the AirArms.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:41 am 

Something compact for plinking...

Wonder if the FX Ranchero Carbine from AOA would be flagged as a rifle?

Haven't heard of one in Canada (yet) RTI Arms Priest. A affordable (+/- 1100 US) Impact from Slovania
Reviews seems to be positive on AirgunNations

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 am 

zuluyou wrote:
You Want The Top Bollocks Out Of The Box .... AirArms S510 Fac , Walnut .22. I promise that You will not be disappointed.
You may get bored of the Laser accuracy, but the Finish and Smoothness will always bring you back.......also still a British Company.
Daystate also a wicked airgun , I have old Wolverine .30 and an Air Ranger .22, 50 FPE. Both manufactured in England, with detail and Craftmanship.......since selling out to Minnelli , Their quality of wood has downgraded, the prices have increased like crazy....
Not the Quality Arms That they used to be ....IN MY OPINION.

Minelli is the Italian stock maker. They have been making Air Arms stocks for some time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:02 am 

Yup, Minelli also makes stocks for FX and some other manufacturers. Great quality for sure.