Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 am 

So you're just getting into airguns. You put a target at 10 yards and can't put in a 1" group to save your life. You've read about the break-in period, so you give it a couple of tins of pellets, but still no luck.

Frustrated, you turn to the internet for help:
1. You have to find the right pellet! So you spend hundreds of dollars and countless hours firing off every premium pellet.
2. It's that junk bundled scope! Paralax is your problem, so you upgrade the optics.
4. You've got to perfect that hold! Your left thumb moves an 1/8" of an inch between shots, and that sweater you wore on Monday gives a little more pressure to the back of the stock, so you take those 6 different tins of JSB pellets, and you practice and you practice and you practice...

And every once in a while, a group holds tight (it's only mathematics), and you convince yourself that you just have to repeat that magical 5-shot wonder.

OR, if your experience is anything like mine, you can skip all that nonsense and push a pellet through your barrel. For me, 2/2 of my Crosman break-barrels, and 1/2 of my Crosman 1322 barrels, had tight spots that loosened up before the muzzle. Ten minutes with a hacksaw and a Dremel tool turned two of the barrels into instant shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:31 pm 

How to do that? Any details can share?

And.... How to avoid messing up with the rifled threads?!

And I also noticed that the rifled thread in the P17 / HW40, my DW 715 revolver and the Crosman all looks different to each other... So it's this different design will also affecting the accuracy?!

Sent from my LG mobile

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:38 pm 

YepYep wrote:
How to do that? Any details can share?

And.... How to avoid messing up with the rifled threads?!

Sent from my LG mobile

I just cut mine with a hack saw, then put it in a drill press. With a file on the base to square it up, and using sand paper to clean up the tooling marks more. Then most people use a brass round head screw on a drill, with valve lapping compound to make a new crown. Which cleans up the muzzle and fixes the rifling.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:57 pm 

I'm the last person to ask as far as how to do it properly. I used a hacksaw, a miter box, and a warn-out Dremel tool to smooth out the transition (as little as possible). Keeping the tight spot at the end of the muzzle as a choke seemed like a good idea.

I suspect that PCP's are more demanding on a good crown since there is usually still a lot of air coming out behind the pellet. Tons of instructions online about how to crown a barrel properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:01 pm 

Actually .....with a perfect crown and barrel.....you STILL have to contend with all the areas you mentions in 1 to 4.
Jump guns..….or what most of us call springers.....jump all over the place before the pellet even leaves the barrel.
Also... the barrel whips (bends) from the torque of the spring so its a wonder there is ANY semblance of accuracy
anyway....I switched over to PCPs...and I'm not going back.......what a difference in accuracy..…. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:05 pm 

All those things are important. And I'm not suggesting everyone go out and "fix" their barrels. Only that, when you have a gun that doesn't shoot straight, I think that the barrel should be the first thing you check, before messing with tons of different pellets and holds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:26 pm 

987654321 wrote:
All those things are important. And I'm not suggesting everyone go out and "fix" their barrels. Only that, when you have a gun that doesn't shoot straight, I think that the barrel should be the first thing you check, before messing with tons of different pellets and holds.

Absolutely.....Crosman barrels are notorious for tight spots ...I don't have experience with RWS and other quality barrels but definitely check the Chinese ones...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:21 pm 

987654321 wrote:
So you're just getting into airguns. You put a target at 10 yards and can't put in a 1" group to save your life. You've read about the break-in period, so you give it a couple of tins of pellets, but still no luck.

Frustrated, you turn to the internet for help:
1. You have to find the right pellet! So you spend hundreds of dollars and countless hours firing off every premium pellet.
2. It's that junk bundled scope! Paralax is your problem, so you upgrade the optics.
4. You've got to perfect that hold! Your left thumb moves an 1/8" of an inch between shots, and that sweater you wore on Monday gives a little more pressure to the back of the stock, so you take those 6 different tins of JSB pellets, and you practice and you practice and you practice...

And every once in a while, a group holds tight (it's only mathematics), and you convince yourself that you just have to repeat that magical 5-shot wonder.

Gee, make you wonder if it's not easier/cheaper to buy a gun that comes with a test-target. This way you already know what works in this gun. You only have to practice