Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 pm 

Hello,
how does a direct hit of a pellet affect your own eye and can a pair of safety-goggles completely protect us from it?
In this video I shoot a pair of goggles several times directly with my air rifle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxkpJtfw3uE

You could help me beyond that. YouTube rated my video as non-advertisable. This happens when the YouTube bot assumes that something illegal is shown in the video. A YouTube employee will only check my request for activation if 1000 viewers access the video within a week. It's just a few cents that I get for it, but it's a matter of principle!
It would be really great if you would support me and call up the video. It should be mentioned that the video is also worth seeing ;-)
I would be very happy about a comment underneath the video and a like if you like it.

Have fun watching, and be careful ;-)

Many greetings
Andi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 pm 

Why to wear safety glasses?

Well you only have 2 eyes. I spent many times in the ER getting metal slivers removed from my eyes after garage accidents, where I was like OH I don't need glasses.

I caught a few richoetts. Shooting duct seal with BB's and hearing them bounce all around. I tested a scratched up pair with No7 12ga target loads at 10m and nothing went thru.

Only got 2 eyes and doesn't take much to damage them. Stupid things I did when I was young, now 33 and got bad eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:15 am 

Hey thanks for your reply!

Exact the same i did! The only difference is, that i am 38 years old ;-)

I hope that many shooters will think about this and think about their health!

I wish you a great weekend!

Best regards!
Andi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:21 am 

The other one to watch out is the use of dremel wire brush, I find that they are not very well made and as soon as you use it, the wires flies all over the places and you will really need to use a safety glass for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:45 pm 

Thats right!
Thanks for your comment!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:26 pm 

Always have worn eye protection when shooting, either regular shooting glasses, or my shatterproof corrective lenses now. Now that need to wear glasses, my vision is no longer 20/20 - it is better 20/15 now. Went 15 years or more with a mere 20/20, before and when I needed them, 20/20 with glasses. Now, my vision the last 4 years has been correctable to 20/15. Looking forward to 20/10 (like Chuck Yeager had), but it will never happen for me. Oh well, lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:29 pm 

Always protect your eye sight, when working with power tools, or when shooting - anything, AIR, RF or CF.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:50 am 

Reminds me of a test with an old project firing a 0.5" steel ball vs a pair of safety glasses backed by 1" of pine, did not go well...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:07 am 

wow... this is crazy! Did you get injured?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:59 am 

AirGhandi wrote:
wow... this is crazy! Did you get injured?

No, this was a deliberate failure test, it was the pine plank that was "wearing" the glasses. Like you I had tried firing my 0.177" and 0.22" airguns against a similar pair of safety glasses and they stood up very well, but in the spirit of penetration I was determined to defeat them, hence the overkill.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:47 am 

PZAM wrote:
Reminds me of a test with an old project firing a 0.5" steel ball vs a pair of safety glasses backed by 1" of pine, did not go well...

Something not right about those glasses. Shouldn't shatter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 am 

leadslinger wrote:

European EN-166 standard requires safety glasses to resist the impact of a 6mm steel ball weighing 0.86g traveling at maximum 45 m/s at the time of impact. This was from a 12.7mm steel ball weighing almost 10 times as much and traveling significantly faster.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:38 am 

PZAM wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

European EN-166 standard requires safety glasses to resist the impact of a 6mm steel ball weighing 0.86g traveling at maximum 45 m/s at the time of impact. This was from a 12.7mm steel ball weighing almost 10 times as much and traveling significantly faster.

Ah okay. I only tried mine with 1200 FPS 7 1/2 shot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 am 

Isn't 20/20 bad vision? Chuck could read the last line of the eye test? Dang. In my youth I was 20/12. I'm a solid 20/15 now however things get blurry close up these days. Even then my bad eye sight is worth protecting. Eyes and ears. First thing we were reminded of before handling a firearm. Put on your eyes and ears.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm 

20/20 is "normal" vision. That person sees at 20 feet/yards/meters/kilometers/miles, what the average person sees at 20 whatever.

Chuck, when flying his "Glamorous Glen" over France and Germany, could see a German 'flight' 2 to 3 minutes before anyone else in his flight could see them. They would likely be cruising at 350mph to 400mph.

Yeager's vision might have been better than 20/10, maybe 20/5, 20/2 - don't know for sure - but - that information might be out there, somewhere.