Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: MP40 Longevity?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:48 am 

I’m considering picking up a Legends MP40 rifle for some B.B. fun. Just thought I’d check in to see if anyone who’s owned one for a while has had any issues crop up? I know the bbs must be loaded carefully to prevent jamming. Curious if any malfunctions or anything of the sort have begun?
Thanks for any info!

Post subject: Re: MP40 Longevity?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:00 am 

I had a MP40, weathered edition with leather strap for about 6 months. Never had any feeding/jamming problems. Bought a 2nd mag. recently, no problems with either. I only use Umarex Hornady Black Diamond BB's in it, so maybe that's why no jamming issues. Also I heard (from staff @ Cabela's)(were I bought it) that the weathered version came out later than the original MP40, so they may have resolved the original feeding issues. I use a Umarex Speedloader to fill mag. and it only takes me about 5 seconds to fill. I find it shoots fairly accurately in semi-auto, and seems to shoots with advertised velocity (but I do not have a chrono). A little loud in my basement range in full auto. But using full auto is a lot of fun. I alternate between semi & full auto when I shoot.

I highly recommend you buy it if you like this sort of airgun. You will not be disappointed.

Only issue I have had is that sometimes not piercing both CO2 cartridges, if I do not seal it tight enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:14 pm 

I've had my first version MP-40 for about 6 months as well.
Had a lot of problems with feeding issues until I made a tool to hold the magazine follower back. I just bent up a piece of coat hanger wire to the appropriate dimensions to wrap around the mag bottom and hook the follower. I wrapped the whole works in electrical tape to prevent marking up the mag. Not a single jam or feed problem since I started using the follower hold back tool. I've fed it every b.b. I could think of including the cheap daisy's in the 1500 pack, with zero problems. Only b.b. I won't use are the Crosmans. Very rough surfaces on them. It's vitally important that the mag is held completely upside down for gravity to line the b.b.'s up in the correct zig-zag pattern. It will feed fine from completely full.

Mine is very accurate in s/a mode.

I can get through 3 filled mags on 2 bulbs before the power drops low enough to affect p.o.i.

Mag is more likely to pierce both bulbs if it's warm before the bulbs go in. Ice cold mag only pierces one.

I like mine a lot and haven't had any issues with it.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:56 pm 

Thanks guys, nice to hear some positive feedback on the gun. Seems like so many bad reviews are out there on other sites. For a while it sounded like it was a roll of the dice as to whether or not you’d get a good one or not.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:51 pm 

Ordered one up this morning... hope that I have the same good luck you guys have had with yours.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:02 pm 

Good for you. If you are patient with the loading, and read the manual cover to cover, things should be o.k.
There are at least 2 separate reviews here on the review page. I believe it's Mantis who posted up pix of a follower hold down tool.
Probably worth reading up while you're waiting.

Was in Cabela's last week, and they're still over 300 there...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:30 pm 

Mp40 arrived a couple days ago. I was able to get outside to test it out. I’m impressed! Great feel to it, seems well constructed. Managed to let loose 6 mags so far, no jams. I was careful about loading as per suggestions.

Only issue I found is one of the two co2 cartridges doesn’t get pierced consistently. I’ve since placed a spacer washer between them when loading which has solved the problem.

No complaints, fun gun that should hopefully last many years!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:51 pm 

What material are you using for a spacer between carts?

I've been looking for an appropriate sized piece of nylon or delrin, but don't want to go too thick.
Have read where some have used leather with success, but I really don't want to be putting leather particles into the valve.
Mine's fairly consistent over the chrony 440-446~ surprisingly flat for a CO-2 gun. The black Hornady Max b.b.'s seem to read a lot easier over the screens than the bright chrome ones...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:21 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
What material are you using for a spacer between carts?

I've been looking for an appropriate sized piece of nylon or delrin, but don't want to go too thick.
Have read where some have used leather with success, but I really don't want to be putting leather particles into the valve.
Mine's fairly consistent over the chrony 440-446~ surprisingly flat for a CO-2 gun. The black Hornady Max b.b.'s seem to read a lot easier over the screens than the bright chrome ones...

-D.S.

I used an actual washer, stainless, I could measure the size if needed, but I think it’s maybe 5/8” and standard thickness. Seems to provide just the right amount of thickness to allow what would be the bottom cartridge to be pierced.

I’m using my the black hornady’s as well, I like their consistency. Haven’t put it over the chrony yet, will get back to you on that, but I’d imagine I’ll get similar results to yours.