Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:50 pm 

I probably do to much reading and researching to death but, it’s part of the fun, at least for me. Couple weeks ago I had asked for advice about PCP’s. They looked good on YouTube, the Gauntlet and Marauders shooting 50 to 100 yards easily. But it’s a big cost to get in that game. So I’ve also been looking at the Air Arms and the HW97K underlevers. They both seem pretty good out to 50 yards and maybe further. I am strictly target shooting. I have lots of powder burners for varmints. I’m thinking.177. Buy the time I buy a PCP, a scope, a pump, compressor and scuba tank......well I didn’t win the lottery. A rifle and scope will be enough. I like the Hawke Sinderwinder FFP. The reticle is pretty close to my Bushnell Elite I have on a .308. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Oh .......I’ll do some more reading and be on another mission in a couple weeks. The chase is half the fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:10 pm 

I will probably choose good springer but not PCP especially if you will buy only one gun but need to take care of all her families and cousins ( the pump and tank and etc etc...)... If you have more PCPs, the cost get split out, then you can think about it...

Just like buying only one P17 from Pyramid and ship from the States...

And we got many high power springer from AA, HW etc, for 177 caliber, up to 1000 fps is normal and they will fit your need...

I think you have good scopes for your powder burners and they should be good to use on springers, you can save some little bucks ~

Just my idea as I am doing my research for this too... A HW97-KT looks is my best choice so far ~ still studying....

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:48 pm 

i saw what you did there. :)

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:52 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
i saw what you did there. :)
;) you know everything ~

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:26 am 

I used to have a HW97K that I adored, once I bought my first PCP I never fired it again. It simply isn't the same experience.

Consider a multi-pump rifle, the PCP shooting experience without the expense of ancillary equipment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:35 am 

PZAM wrote:
Consider a multi-pump rifle, the PCP shooting experience without the expense of ancillary equipment.

Actually if thinking of that, springers are just a stand alone air gun type that gives you different experience on shooting...

Like a HW45 compare to a HW75.

Someone will just like the BANG and recoils, right?!

The experience on the HW45 might be another reason for me to look for a bigger, more powerful springer... And that would only be a springer rifle...

~Target~

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:44 am 

Crosshair54 wrote:
I probably do to much reading and researching to death but, it’s part of the fun, at least for me. Couple weeks ago I had asked for advice about PCP’s. They looked good on YouTube, the Gauntlet and Marauders shooting 50 to 100 yards easily. But it’s a big cost to get in that game. So I’ve also been looking at the Air Arms and the HW97K underlevers. They both seem pretty good out to 50 yards and maybe further. I am strictly target shooting. I have lots of powder burners for varmints. I’m thinking.177. Buy the time I buy a PCP, a scope, a pump, compressor and scuba tank......well I didn’t win the lottery. A rifle and scope will be enough. I like the Hawke Sinderwinder FFP. The reticle is pretty close to my Bushnell Elite I have on a .308. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Oh .......I’ll do some more reading and be on another mission in a couple weeks. The chase is half the fun.

I have been going through a similar process myself for the past few months for the same reasons. I too am shying away from PCP because of all the extra gear and expense involve. Most of my current air guns are pistols although I do have a Walther Lever Action rifle that is a lot of fun to shoot, event though the sights are terrible. What I have been looking for is an underlever (break barrels just do not appeal to me) in .177 that would be very accurate out to say 40-50 yards. I do want open sights (another personal quirk) with the option of adding a scope. I am currently considering a WH77 and a Diana 430L and can see pros & cons with both even though I truly feel either would meet my needs.

As you stated - researching is part of the fun - but it can be very frustrating - LOL!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:08 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
PZAM wrote:
I used to have a HW97K that I adored, once I bought my first PCP I never fired it again. It simply isn't the same experience.

My experience as well, once you own a PCP, the springer just sits in storage collecting dust. Plus a PCP won’t be so scope picky. How about an FX Independence? Pump action PCP, no tanks or compressor required- could be the best of both worlds.

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:19 pm 

I will never shoot a side/underlever again after my Diana 52 tried to mangle my fingers when it slammed closed miliseconds b4 loading a pellet. My fingers were literally an inch away when it happened. It had an anti-bear trap to prevent exactly that, but like many safeties it doesn't work. I tried it with a pencil in there and it was destroyed... So to be safe you'd need to hold the lever firmly while loading which is too much hassle imo. Plus loading them period is too much hassle compared to a break barrel, imo. PCP is sweet but I put off getting one for ages since I knew it would ruin springers for me... Since pumping a pcp by hand sux I originally bummed use of a friends pump. Since I moved way and my CF tank expired I got rid of the gun (Mrod). Last year I bought another one, Mod 2 version on sale, and it sat for > a year b/c hand pumping sux. I finally bought a Shoebox pump on sale last month for $500US. It is an investment so you just have to decide how much you want to spend.
You don't need both a pump and tank, but it's nice. A big 4500psi tank is worth a lot of fills; https://sye.dk/airgun/index.php but you do have to have a place that can fill to 4500... Dive shops, paintball and some fire stations can fill. The pump I bought will fill the gun or a tank but needs to be pressure fed w/ 85 to 125psi via a cheap oil-less pump. If you have one great, if not that's more $. Yes I tried it w/o being pressure fed and it doesn't work.
Tough decision but once you pry open your wallet I think most people will agree it's worth it.
The main bennie for me (in the US) is the suppressor b/c a suppressed pcp can be very quiet, and with some mods it's basically silent. After modding mine all I hear is the hammer. In CA w/ no suppressor they are extremely loud! If this were the case for me I'd never buy one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I think most people will agree it's worth it.
The main bennie for me (in the US) is the suppressor b/c a suppressed pcp can be very quiet, and with some mods it's basically silent. After modding mine all I hear is the hammer. In CA w/ no suppressor they are extremely loud! If this were the case for me I'd never buy one.

No getting around this issue up here in “The Great White North”. However, my FX Streamline on the lower power setting is pretty darn quiet, with the option to ramp up the power (and noise level) when required.

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:59 pm 

I realize some of you guys like the top money stuff and are basing your prices on that, but just thought I'd mention that you can get a Beeman Chief for $230, and mine is very accurate out to fifty yards. It is also extremely hand pump friendly, taking only a few pumps to get the pressure back up. You can get a hand pump for $80 in Canada shipped, so the total price is less than an underlever.
Just saying, though I understand the big cost if you go with an expensive pcp with a large cylinder that needs a compressor or big tank to keep you shooting.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:08 pm 

I agree Wes,

And probably still a better option long term than a springer, although cocking a springer after every shot does have its own charm in the sense of taking one’s time and appreciating every shot.

All just food for thought.

Avianmanor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:46 pm 

True too. I've been thinking of getting a springer myself. Lots of great memories as a kid and as you say it's a nice feeling cracking the gun and reloading, and having its own built in power.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:12 pm 

I've looked at and shot a lot of different springers. The HW98KT has my vote.

Mine runs 8gr. pellets at 890fps and does well to 56yards on rats.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:20 pm 

I like PCP's because no hold sensitivity. But they're loud, and gear gets expensive.

Avg brand name hand pump is over 200$. When they're just re badge 90$ ones. 400-500$ for a compressor, hundreds for a up to date scba or CF tank. Firearm world, thats alot of ammo. And that how one get's better practice.

Realizing how much I spent on my PCP setup I got now. My weekly competition gun isn't even close to it.