Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:52 pm 

I was looking for a quiet-er PCP pellet rifle with decent FPS for dispatching some varmints. Ideally I'd like a Benjamin Marauder, but since that's not happening. I was looking at the Pyramid Air filter for loudness and I saw that the FX Impact M3 is on the quieter side, but I assume this is a US version?

Can someone tell me how many decibels the various calibers of the M3 are in real life? This gun is a little out of my budget, but if it's really quiet, it should be worth it.

I assume AGS is the only Canadian source?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:28 pm 

Any Pcp that has a power wheel can be incredible quiet one second at low power then very loud. 960 fps is not going to be quiet without suppression. I run .177 13.4 gr for rats at 700 fps the design of that gun makes it way quieter than any of my other guns at that Velocity.

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:40 pm 

A Gauntlet in .22 switched to CO2 is very quiet. I have not chronographed it, however the U-tube on the change to CO2 noted it still put out 18fpe.
What i do know about it, is that on compressed air, it did not shoot the Crossman 14.34gr. HP's well at all, but loves them on CO2. A 12 ounce CO2 tank
will give roughly 600 shots & be VERY accurate out to 25 yards, at least.
If more power is needed, there will be a cost, in noise.
All of my full power guns are quite loud, except for the HW97's, however they do not put out the vel. that the more powerful PCP's do. They run only 14fpe,
while the .25 cal PCP's run 45 to 93fpe.
My AirForce Condor in .25 makes 63fpe with pellets at a low setting, but it still barks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:34 pm 

McRobert wrote:
Any Pcp that has a power wheel can be incredible quiet one second at low power then very loud. 960 fps is not going to be quiet without suppression. I run .177 13.4 gr for rats at 700 fps the design of that gun makes it way quieter than any of my other guns at that Velocity.

Robert

Thanks,

I was reading a while ago that a lot of the UK Ratters are only using about 12 fpe to get the job done. I was considering the 25 caliber, but I doubt the extra fpe is worth the inconvenience. I know you can swap the barrels on this rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:37 pm 

Daryl wrote:
A Gauntlet in .22 switched to CO2 is very quiet. I have not chronographed it, however the U-tube on the change to CO2 noted it still put out 18fpe.
What i do know about it, is that on compressed air, it did not shoot the Crossman 14.34gr. HP's well at all, but loves them on CO2. A 12 ounce CO2 tank
All of my full power guns are quite loud, except for the HW97's, however they do not put out the vel. that the more powerful PCP's do. They run only 14fpe,
My AirForce Condor in .25 makes 63fpe with pellets at a low setting, but it still barks.

Thanks,

Does the CO2 cause you any issues in the cold? Although it does not get that cold here anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:32 am 

I tuned my M3 to about 16fpe (22cal JSB Jumbo 15.89g at about 670fps) which loudness is acceptable to me in my basement. The muzzle report is similar to my other guns (HW97, cz200, AA PS, Diana48). So in this means, the M3 looks is a quiet rifle because it's shooting stronger than those guns on the list above...

And mine is a Compact, the shortest barrel one... If you go for standard Or sniper which has longer rifle, I think you can do higher speed with similar loudness or even quieter with similar speed...

I couldn't tell you an exact number because you need very very professional equipment to catch and measure the muzzle reports...

And my M3 is tuned to the very low power side (should be good for your purpose tho).

If you need higher power, be prepared for a much louder muzzle report.

And I think the 22 could be your best choice for your purpose... If you go for a 25cal, you MUST use much more power to make it shoot at the similar speed... and that means much louder muzzle report... Otherwise, just about 550fps something (16fpe), I doubt the projectile trajectory would be sloopy...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:30 am 

I have use 6 different guns for rats in all cases I have cut the power way back. My .177 I use the most is 14.3 FPE more than a 100 nights on it. When I used my Gauntlet for rats I had a tank and reg set just for rats, I would shoot .22 at 620 fps. Both my Kral and Reximex gun have power wheels so it was just a simple turn of the knob, to be down to rat velocity. Here is video of me missing a rat (14.3 fpe) and it was not spooked, I was able to reload and I do my job. https://youtu.be/-IO-lVPvKJU

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:46 am 

Beauty shot McRobert, :drinkers:

I feel cheated to not sport any rats here in Alberta.....We have loads of gophers and pigeons though. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:18 pm 

CO2 will not work well at all, out of doors in the winter time. Grossly effected by cold.
here's a 56 yard field "rat", with an HW97 in .177, using predator pellets.

Attachments:
HW97 .177 and rats 1.3.jpg
HW97 .177 and rats 1.3.jpg [ 369.23 KiB | Viewed 337 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:45 pm 

Daryl wrote:

Daryl, any hypothesis as to why the improved Crosman accuracy on CO2? Could it be simply lower velocity?

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22