Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:43 pm 

It took me about a month?! Not remember exactly.... I just do it little by little at the time piece I found, usually a half hour gap after dinner and took a stool sat in the backyard to do a little bit...

Maybe this is the good way to be patient and made a slow and good output... It looks much better than my previous wood jobs!

And special THANKS to the seller of my Izzy 46M. This gentleman not only sold me a great gun with reasonable price but also non stop giving me many many help and useful advice to work on the stock grips!

Can't wait to put the grip back onto the gun... But it just looks so beautiful and it looks I am not willing to use it.... [emoji16][emoji16]ImageImage

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:57 pm 

Are you sure that you made that one? Lol! Looks like a pro did it, seriously :D It is beautiful :drinkers:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06 pm 

This is beautiful work Yep Yep :) Don't hesitate to install those grips on your pistol, it'll now be something special for you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:13 pm 

It's my first time to use Tung Oil on the wood pieces and it turns out an awesome result! I should know about it earlier!!

Thanks guys! I think I will put it on in the weekend as I don't think I can wait another day to shoot the gun after putting the grip back on and looks not enough time for the whole thing to finish in week day nights ~

Cheers!!

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm 

Tung oil is better than boiled linseed oil... Some mix two parts TO with one part BLO to make it cure faster but if you have the time to cure, pure is best.

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/get ... king-myths

Attachments:
tungoildebunkingmyths2_comparisonchart_1.jpg
tungoildebunkingmyths2_comparisonchart_1.jpg [ 20.58 KiB | Viewed 1048 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:19 pm 

I don't have time to finish it quick, so it turns out I have plenty of time to do it slowly ~

So each layer of the Tung Oil, I have more than 24 hours to let it settle down into the wood....

It took me about two weeks to use dremel to shape it, then about a week to sand it and make minor adjustments and about another two weeks to apply TO and Steel Wooling....

If I make a living use this speed, I will die for hungry a long time ago ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

I just thinking if I keep on applying TO and steel wool then again and again for another 10, 20... Layers... How it will look like??

Actually I noticed there are some spots i.e. The lower side of the front upper extension to the trigger guard which I don't need to re-shape, the color of the wood from the factory process looks slightly different than other area I dremel / sanded.... But I already redo the sanding process after the first 2 layers of TO applied for the same reason... Don't want to do it again...

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 pm 

No matter how it feels, you should always wait until the last coat is completely dry and hard.
Waiting 2 days between coats is better then not waiting 2 days. If the finish feels or smells
"green", wait a day longer. More stock finishes are ruined by rushing coats of oil.
True Oil is actually more of a varnish, more so than a true linseed finish like BLO or Linspeed.
This is due to the dryers that are added, thus, they act and react more like varnishes.
I do now prefer Tung oil as it is a nicer finish than True Oil, even though I used true oil for 40 years.
I wait a full 2 days or more between coats, which are mere drops here and there, spread with my hand = very thin coats
and long drying/hardening time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 pm 

YepYep wrote:
It took me about a month?! Not remember exactly.... I just do it little by little at the time piece I found, usually a half hour gap after dinner and took a stool sat in the backyard to do a little bit...

Maybe this is the good way to be patient and made a slow and good output... It looks much better than my previous wood jobs!

And special THANKS to the seller of my Izzy 46M. This gentleman not only sold me a great gun with reasonable price but also non stop giving me many many help and useful advice to work on the stock grips!

Can't wait to put the grip back onto the gun... But it just looks so beautiful and it looks I am not willing to use it.... [emoji16][emoji16]ImageImage

Good job on the grips, but what was alternated?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:43 am 

The stock grips of the 46m is famous about its over sized and I have the medium small hands, so I mainly removed some wood from the palm, front and made 2 shallow spots for my fingers on the left grip...

Just checked the photos I attached here that I took at the beginning of my job, actually I just took about two months on it..... Photos were taken on Jun.18.... ImageImage

~Target~

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:55 am 

Daryl wrote:
No matter how it feels, you should always wait until the last coat is completely dry and hard.
Waiting 2 days between coats is better then not waiting 2 days. If the finish feels or smells
"green", wait a day longer. More stock finishes are ruined by rushing coats of oil.
True Oil is actually more of a varnish, more so than a true linseed finish like BLO or Linspeed.
This is due to the dryers that are added, thus, they act and react more like varnishes.
I do now prefer Tung oil as it is a nicer finish than True Oil, even though I used true oil for 40 years.
I wait a full 2 days or more between coats, which are mere drops here and there, spread with my hand = very thin coats
and long drying/hardening time.
Yeah, that's true ~ in my previous wood jobs on the stool, kitchen table, 1322 fore arm, I just did it too quickly, and got the un satisfied results! ( For the not that good result maybe also because I didn't know about the Tung Oil and used other solutions ~)

And this time, I usually didn't have time to do the next coat of tung oil in the following day, so giving it enough or more than enough time to dry and hardening made a much better result!

~Target~