Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:41 am 

I have a HW45 Black Star in .22 that I’ve started shooting (for fun) out to about 40 yards. Hitting cans etc... the whack at that distance is very satisfying as it’s not a guaranteed hit at that range.

I’m looking for a second pistol that could compete with the hw45 in .22. I’d like to keep the playing field relatively even so that if my wife and I are shooting together we would each be able to have a gun that’s at least fairly close in ability so I’m not accused of stacking the deck (although I may need to as she’s a pretty darn good shot)

I realize .177 would be flatter trajectory etc.. I’m not looking for a caliber debate as I want to have .22 vs .22 here.

Ideas? Wishful thinking maybe but I’d like to not spend more than $350. Yes, a second hw45 would be the obvious answer but I’ll take the “lesser” pistol myself and enjoy the option of something a little different. Oh, and if I could avoid co2 that would be ideal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:54 am 

topic79777.html

8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:03 pm 

fishguy wrote:
I have a HW45 Black Star...

HW45 Silver Star...? :D
Sorry, couldn't resist it.
fishguy wrote:
Oh, and if I could avoid co2 that would be ideal.

Hmmm... 2240 is cheap, easy to use and has a good bit of power but...
Hatsan 25 / Typhoon comes to mind but probably not very accurate that far out.
Does the Indian come in 22, don't think so unfortunately?
So Doug's Alecto then...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:16 pm 

DDtank wrote:
fishguy wrote:
I have a HW45 Black Star...

HW45 Silver Star...? :D
Sorry, couldn't resist it.
fishguy wrote:
Oh, and if I could avoid co2 that would be ideal.

Hmmm... 2240 is cheap, easy to use and has a good bit of power but...
Hatsan 25 / Typhoon comes to mind but probably not very accurate that far out.
Does the Indian come in 22, don't think so unfortunately?
So Doug's Alecto then...

Lol thanks for that..

I know, the 2240 would be a safe cheap option. I hate to hate on Crosman but I have never enjoyed their guns, don’t like their triggers at all.
If the Indian came in .22 it would be the winner.. had one in .177 I should have never sold.

Doug’s Alecto would be great if not for the issues he’s stated very honestly. I can do some repairs but I have little time right now for tinkering. If an Alecto came up that was not in need of some tlc I’d probably take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:31 pm 

If it were me, I'd look for something used with a bit of a cool factor :P

BSA Scorpion comes to mind here. If the trigger is anything like the Meteor's, it would be an interesting pistol.
Said Meteor trigger is a bit on the weighty side, but very clean breaking and controllable....
Old G/D's listed them as available in .22. Don't know how "findable" a .22 would be.

Crosman custom shop listed a 13-XX variant with the p-rod trigger group and grip frame. That would probably be nudging your cost limit though, and would have to be done through Pyramyd Air as the custom shop will not deal with Canadians....

I've done that up as a home build with said trigger group and grip frame. I definitely won't be going back to the basic factory 13-XX trigger anytime soon. That P-rod trigger is a real sweetie-pie.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:52 pm 

fishguy wrote:
I hate to hate on Crosman but I have never enjoyed their guns, don’t like their triggers at all.

Same here, however I recently did a 1740 project that is incredibly accurate out to 20 yards or so and I just came around to the 1322 clack-clack tedium of a multi pump and bought one a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't want to shoot it all day but it is surprisingly accurate out of the box on the peep sight. You can improve the trigger just by taking the spring out of the grip and weakening it by squashing it a bit.
fishguy wrote:
Indian.. had one in .177 I should have never sold.

Me too :cry:
Doc's Scorpion is a good idea, saw one on here or CGN recently, they do come up now and then.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:42 pm 

I do like the idea of something a little retro or a little off the beaten path. I’d do a scorpion as well...

I think we’re at Scorpion, Alecto, and I’ll even toss in a .22 Webley Tempest or Diana LP8.

I’ll just need to find any one of the above.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:12 pm 

The Diana p5 magnum comes in 22 as well. Hard to come by though. I know a couple of people looking for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:20 pm 

I do have a BSA Scorpion in .22 calibre and can tell you it's a real nice pistol! It's very accurate with the JSB Jumbo Express 14.35 gr. pellets (I'm getting around 438-440 fps with those), and not bad at all with the RWS Hobby wadcutters. The trigger can be adjusted surprisingly light, almost to the point it's too light, and it doesn't have a lot of travel/creep. You really need the cocking aid to cock it though, it's a beast! And I like to seat the pellets because the first 1/4'' of the barrel leade is smooth, and I get better consistency and accuracy this way. But other than that, it's fine, GET ONE IF YOU CAN!!! Well worth the money IMHO :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 pm 

airmec wrote:
I do have a BSA Scorpion in .22 calibre and can tell you it's a real nice pistol! It's very accurate with the JSB Jumbo Express 14.35 gr. pellets (I'm getting around 438-440 fps with those), and not bad at all with the RWS Hobby wadcutters. The trigger can be adjusted surprisingly light, almost to the point it's too light, and it doesn't have a lot of travel/creep. You really need the cocking aid to cock it though, it's a beast! And I like to seat the pellets because the first 1/4'' of the barrel leade is smooth, and I get better consistency and accuracy this way. But other than that, it's fine, GET ONE IF YOU CAN!!! Well worth the money IMHO :)

Might be having some seller regrets now. :wink: Glad to see you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:54 pm 

jwg wrote:

topic79605.html

Missed out on it as well... :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:24 pm 

jwg wrote:
airmec wrote:

I sure do :) It's well taken care of, and one of my most prized air gun. I truly understand what you feel dear fellow :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:07 am 

Hatsan Mod 25, full power. Pyramyd was shipping them across before

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:24 am 

I'm guessing you aren't really wanting a pcp pistol, but rather a spring powered one to compare to the HW45?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:30 am 

Problem solved... tried a Tempest last night and it made a surprisingly satisfying whack when hitting cans from 40 yards in .177. We both felt it was a close enough match that .177 would be ok. So... ordered a Cometa Indian which my wife can cock easily unlike the Tempest. This will be my third go with the Indian so I will keep it this time!

Yes, springer vs springer I think is more fair. I do have my eye on the pcp pistols coming in Wes!!