Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:16 am 

My Benjamin .22 wants to be held firm in the shoulder. I shoot from a table on bags or on the ground on bags. I’ve ALWAYS wanted to use a bipod, for its ease of use, and keeping the gun level when firing.
Obviously there are limited places to mount the rail. Can’t barrel mount, there’s no swivel bolt, only option is to a fix to the stock just behind the cocking slot, pretty much where my hand sits.
Anyone doing this? Results? Opinions?

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:32 am 

I have not mounted a bipod as you are asking however it is possible to mount a leg on each side of the stock like the UTG recon flex. Please see the following link

https://www.amazon.ca/UTG-Recon-M-LOK-B ... +lok+bipod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:35 am 

Just get this... Vanguard Porta Rest. All I use.

The more closer you bring in the bipod, the less stable they are.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:06 am 

Hmm. Both are good ideas. But man, nothin comes cheap, huh?
The side mount allows you to keep the bi-pot somewhat forward, but not a lot of stock to screw into up there.
The tripod rest is nice, but doesn't really solve the keeping the gun level fiasco.
I was looking at scope levels, but the stupid little things are damn pricy too.
Was considering fabricating my own with a bubble vial, but haven't yet.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 am 

Carpenter84 wrote:
Hmm. Both are good ideas. But man, nothin comes cheap, huh?
The side mount allows you to keep the bi-pot somewhat forward, but not a lot of stock to screw into up there.
The tripod rest is nice, but doesn't really solve the keeping the gun level fiasco.
I was looking at scope levels, but the stupid little things are damn pricy too.
Was considering fabricating my own with a bubble vial, but haven't yet.

Well a bipod not going to keep it leveled. Still going to need to put something in the rear to prop it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:33 pm 

Shoulder :wink:

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:15 pm 

My guess is that every one of us that has owned a springer has at some point considered a bipod. Yet if you look around on the web, there’s not many examples of bipod/springer success.

My suggestion is to zip-tie a bipod to your rifle before you go drilling any holes in the stock. When I tried, my group size just about doubled.

If you really want a stable rifle, dip your toes into the dark side and get a pcp :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:35 pm 

The problem with a bipod is it restricts movement which causes most springers to loss accuracy. It's why you see some people hold their hand under the rifle even when they use a rest. That allows the rifle to recoil naturally. Essentially the artillery hold.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:32 pm 

consider a barrel mount?
mine is similar but labelled NC Star.

Attachments:
IMG_3599[1].JPG
IMG_3599[1].JPG [ 10.24 KiB | Viewed 973 times ]

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:34 pm 

I actually have to hold the rifle down a bit with my index finger. If I don't I get fliers. Seems to want a firm hold.

Hearing all this, I might try the crossed dowels bipod and see how it goes. Will cost me nothing to find out.

I like I tripod bag rest. Literally no different than how I shoot now, my front bag is just some random square sand bag I found on a demo job years ago. My rear bag is actually a rear bag. I press the butt corner into the bag with my shoulder and hold firm.

The tripod would just allow me to shoulder the rifle and actually sit up straight instead of all hunched over.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:35 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
consider a barrel mount?
mine is similar but labelled NC Star.

I used to rest the barrel on the bag when I was shooting from a different table, it really didn't seem to like that. But I might be able to try shooting from all positions with the cobbled together dowel bipod.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:47 pm 

Carpenter84 wrote:
I actually have to hold the rifle down a bit with my index finger. If I don't I get fliers. Seems to want a firm hold.

Hearing all this, I might try the crossed dowels bipod and see how it goes. Will cost me nothing to find out.

I like I tripod bag rest. Literally no different than how I shoot now, my front bag is just some random square sand bag I found on a demo job years ago. My rear bag is actually a rear bag. I press the butt corner into the bag with my shoulder and hold firm.

The tripod would just allow me to shoulder the rifle and actually sit up straight instead of all hunched over.

Yup I got the porta rest for bench and a Old VCR tripod with a metal plate and a another front rest. I can almost stand up straight and shoot. Or sit down and shoot straight up. Reason why I bought the vanguard. I could sit straight than hunched over. Alot of rests couldnt get enough height. And I found bipods, just flex.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:04 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
. And I found bipods, just flex.

Hmmm. That's a good point. Especially if it screws into the side of the stock. Wouldn't take much of a bump to just snap the wood or strip the screws out. Not much meat there.

Come to think of it, I have enough material and could easily weld together a quick tripod with something to hold a V shaped bag too. That's always a cheaper option... And I do like making stuff.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:09 pm 

Carpenter84 wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
. And I found bipods, just flex.

Hmmm. That's a good point. Especially if it screws into the side of the stock. Wouldn't take much of a bump to just snap the wood or strip the screws out. Not much meat there.

Come to think of it, I have enough material and could easily weld together a quick tripod with something to hold a V shaped bag too. That's always a cheaper option... And I do like making stuff.

You need a bipod that tilts and pans, in order to save it from the bipod twisting making those fine adjustments.

There you go. You can make a tripod. Than can make a easy high adjustment from a washer, wing nut, a threaded rod, or carriage bolt, and flat stock or 2x4. Just put a T nut or something in a 2x4, or thread some flat stock. Then a jam nut. So the plate is secured. Drill a hole in the center of the tripod. Then thread on the wing nut and washer, drop it down the hole vola a height adjusting rest, loosen or tighten the wing nut to raise or lower. And a wing nut on the bottom to lock it in place. Should be solid if you use a thick enough bolt and have 2 jam nuts to lock.

Sorta like this.

Down side about that Tripod rest I got. Any height adjustments I need to do. Is I gotta, take the gun off, loosen a collar and lift, than lift up the rest, drop the collar and tighten it to lock solid. The front rests I find dont have enough height adjustment and dont fit well in range bags.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 pm 

I think I want to only support the front end and keep the butt end in my shoulder. My yard is max 30 yards, I'm not a horribly stable guy, I think it'll be good practice to keep shooting from my shoulder. I'd hold the whole gun, but lol, gotta be realistic. I don't have a hope in hell of holding on a 3" target at 30 yards with the gun in both hands.
The reasons I was considering a bipod was to elevate me a bit, (the paint bucket I sit on is sort of uncomfortable, haha), the weight will likely help stabilize the rifle from whipping the pellet around, I generally rest the gun on my hand, on a bag, but my thumb and index finger are wrapped up the side of the stock someone holding it in the bag. Reduces the number of fliers remarkably. And the stand is more stable then my clumbsy sand bag.

I think what I'm going to do is steal a bit of your design in the tripod bag, but not the whole gun rest.
I'll heed any suggestions you have on the adjustable elevation system youve encountered.

I think what I have in mind is 3/4" ready rod, on a bearing mounted to a square bowl (to hold the bag) so it can swivel freely, threaded through double blocks with a small handwheel on the bottom, for ease of raising and lowering, just mounted on a simple tripod. I don't think I'll make it collapsible just to keep the complicated level relatively low.
That's what I'm thinking.

And this is great, cause I need a good machining project to do that doesn't involve making tooling to make more tooling...

Im part of a machining forum (machinistgazzette.com) where I usually post my machining projects, but maybe I'll update here too.

Some other junk rifles