Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scopes and red dots
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:09 pm 

I've done a lot of work and spent a lot of time on my Benjamin .22 and I really seem to have it dialed in really nice.... Problem... The scope isn't mine and I should probably consider giving it back at some point.
It's a Chinese no name. Came off an older gamo .177 undercock, 1100 fps. Not a bad scope. Seems to hold food groups.

The red dot is on my crosman 2240. It's the $24 red dot from Canada shooting supply. It does the job but if you so much as breathe on it the wrong way you have to re-zero it. It's not the mounts, it's just the cheapness of it and how it adjusts.
I bought it because ive never used one and had no knowledge on red dots and certainly wasn't spending $100 out of the gate.

But, now I'd like to look at better optics. I think I'd be comfortable spending up to $200 on a springer scope, and up to $100 on something for the 2240. I don't want a scope for the 2240, a red dot is fine. I also like the mil-dots on the rifle scope.

I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations from those who know.

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

Post subject: Re: Scopes and red dots
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:17 pm 

Get a Hawke scope and for $90 you can get a Bushnell TR25 (I think is the model) from an Amazon trader for $90.
Don't skimp on the scope mounts though, get Sportsmatch ones. They will make a hole in your budget so you could make that up with a UTG red dot, I got one a few weeks ago from a Walmart trader for a bit more than $50.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:41 pm 

I like the single piece mounts. The long, rail, type. Seem extremely sturdy.

What's the Bushnell TR25? The Hawke scope?

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:40 pm 

Carpenter84 wrote:
I like the single piece mounts. The long, rail, type. Seem extremely sturdy.

What's the Bushnell TR25? The Hawke scope?

Bushnell TRS25 is a micro compact 3moa dot sight. I prefer using them, since they mount low.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 pm 

The Bushnell is nice, however I bought 2 and sent them both back as I found the dot slightly a smear. However, that could just be my eyes. I looked through a $800 holographic sight on a Tavor at the range once and it was double vision to me. Maybe the UTG dot is not much different but it cost half as much so I care half as much...
I have both one piece and two piece Sportsmatch mounts and they are all great but if you get the one piece make sure it fits the length of the scope as it's not a given.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 pm 

For the rifle or the 2240?

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:22 pm 

?
I thought it was red dot for 2240 and scope on the rifle?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:29 pm 

DDtank wrote:
The Bushnell is nice, however I bought 2 and sent them both back as I found the dot slightly a smear. However, that could just be my eyes. I looked through a $800 holographic sight on a Tavor at the range once and it was double vision to me. Maybe the UTG dot is not much different but it cost half as much so I care half as much...
I have both one piece and two piece Sportsmatch mounts and they are all great but if you get the one piece make sure it fits the length of the scope as it's not a given.

Sounds like you got a astigmatism like me. Red dots show up as smears or commas.

Also nice thing about the TRS25, is put a clip in rail adapter and still got a low profile solid mount for the pistol.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:33 pm 

Yes, probably a better bet. The UTG is a bit clunkier for a pistol although I intended to put it on my 1322 (with stock fitted). I like the Bugbuster on it at the moment though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:16 pm 

Alright. I think I (or some) are a bit mixed up.

I have and like the one piece mounts for the Benji rifle scope. Id like something in a 3-9x40 sort of scope with mil-dots. I don't care if it illuminates. I can't see in the dark anyways. A night vision scope would better suit what I do with the rifle, but I'm not a rich man...

The 2240 I'd like a dot. The $24 crosman dot I have now looks like a comma/smear... I also find it too bright. My right eye usually has a sun spot when I'm done using it.
On the 2240 I have the barrel mounts as I still have the plastic breech.

Attachments:
File comment: Benji
IMG_20180729_001227.jpg
IMG_20180729_001227.jpg [ 741.64 KiB | Viewed 1073 times ]
File comment: 2240
IMG_20180804_154514-1200x900.jpg
IMG_20180804_154514-1200x900.jpg [ 357.61 KiB | Viewed 1073 times ]

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:23 am 

How this for a rifle scope?
http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/leap ... rings.html

For the red dot, it does not seem to matter what it is as long as it’s sturdy and I can physically focus my eye on it. I may go to a local store and actually out my hands on something and just pay cash.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:15 pm 

Bump?

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:05 am 

The leapers is good value. Lots of them out there. A whole lot better than most scopes that come stock with air rifles. Good parallax range, decent glass, and can take springer punishment. Big and heavy imo. There are better but for the price it's hard to beat. I prefer the bug buster models which can be had for $100 give or take at times. Some do not like the shorter esthetics but it suits me just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:23 am 

Carpenter84 wrote:
How this for a rifle scope?
http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/leap ... rings.html

For the red dot, it does not seem to matter what it is as long as it’s sturdy and I can physically focus my eye on it. I may go to a local store and actually out my hands on something and just pay cash.
I prefer a bigger one like 3-9x40mm than a 32mm.

I only have two scopes in the house, one is 32mm size lens the other is 40mm. The bigger scope lens can allow more light to get through, and you can have better picture. Just like the camera lens.

However I don't have high power guns for far range shooting, so I don't want something bigger as it will add weight to the gun too. Of course, bigger usually means more expensive ~ I am not a rich man too ~ =D

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:59 am 

Hmm.
Okay, definitely a learning process.
I feel like the Benjamin already has a bit of gravity to it, but I'm a big guy (6'4" 235 lbs) so I'm not too concerned with weight. I have not felt the gun was becoming too heavy. So adding a particularly beefy scope wouldn't bother me much.

I saw scopes that have a parallax down to 5m.
The intended purpose for the gun was rabbit control which I tend to be doing in the 10y and under range. But target fun time is 20y plus. So, having a decent full range scope is important.
I realize it's likely more appropriate to maybe have a purpose gun for both. But, I'm not a rich man with a totally understand wife... the way I've been able to tune the gun using the baracuda match 21 grains, I can nail the bull at 5y and at 20y without any hold over/under. Beyond 20y I'd be learning the hold over. Hence the desire for the mil-dots.

So, from what I'm explaining to myself and yous guys suggestions - 40mm, likely 3-9 so I can zoom in (I had already started trying to learn how the zoom changes the mil-dots) (I really don't know any of the proper terminology here...)
I like the finger dial turret controls. I don't like the finger tip style. Pulling the caps off is irritating...
One piece rail mounts.

I've been finding the scope I have on there now the moa clicks can be really touchy... Something funny about it. I'll move windage 2 clicks, for example, and all of a sudden poi is 2" way off. Reverse the adjustment and it's fine, but if I went 5 clicks poi moves half the distance as 2 clicks. Almost like the screws were dirty and it jerked the retical over too far... I don't know. So Ive just compensated with where I hold (it's like an 1/8" off at 18 yards... Nothing to cry over) but the scope isn't new, and hasn't been taken care of (I don't own it...)

So far I've been looking at the online stores that only sell airgun stuff. But, if I went into a store (to pay cash), is there a way for me to know, or a tell-tale something specific about the scope that would tell me if it's rated for air gun recoil without having to ask??

Some other junk rifles