Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:01 am 

We all know usually the wadcutter pellets will have better accuracy than other pellets in different shapes...

Any reason for that?

Why I ask is because I just noticed the wadcutter for its flat nose, it will drop a lot more than other shapes even in a short range...

However I think if I re zero the sights on the wadcutter, it will hit the target accurately...

So the accuracy of wadcutter pellets is due to it will be more stable in the air?! ( Why a round nose domed shape not doing better in the air flow??)

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:32 am 

Wadcutter has better accuracy than other pellets in different shapes? I thought wad cutters were used because they are easier to score. In target shooting you want the biggest hole created. That would make wadcutters the shape of choice within 10 meters. Other than 10m where else would you choose a wadcutter pellet?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am 

Correct...wadcutters are better for deciding scores because of clean crisp holes...unlike a pointed pellet...as far as accuracy I know they can be very accurate up to a certain fps...others on here could tell you the physics of it but I know wadcutters are best kept to lower fps....say under 600...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:50 am 

MyCrosman wrote:
Correct...wadcutters are better for deciding scores because of clean crisp holes...unlike a pointed pellet...as far as accuracy I know they can be very accurate up to a certain fps...others on here could tell you the physics of it but I know wadcutters are best kept to lower fps....say under 600...

I think the pcp airguns used in the Olympics are around 600 fps give or take so that speaks volumes about what fps produces the best accuracy consistently.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:07 am 

Yeah... Forgot about the advantage of the easy scoring from the wadcutter pellets...

So, why the wadcutter were choosed in the matches only because this simple reason?

And for accuracy, this type of shape just doesn't make any difference and the consistent nose size plus weight are still the major factors?

For pure physiology, the domed shape will be most accurate?

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
MyCrosman wrote:

I think the pcp airguns used in the Olympics are around 600 fps give or take so that speaks volumes about what fps produces the best accuracy consistently.

I think I read around 572-577 FPS. Is the optimum speed.

Yep, no matter what pellet you use. You're going to have a POI shift. You have to adjust your sights, or hold off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:38 am 

Adjust...adjust....adjust...that's the fun....or the pain...of testing different pellets...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:21 pm 

I shoot indoors up to 25 feet. I have tried wad cutters but find the nice holes a little big on my targets so prefer domed pellets on card stock targets -easier for me to see shot placement.Also wads tend to require sight adjustments when switching back and forth with domes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 pm 

Yeah...domed and pointed work good IF you use a hard cardboard...Paper just tears as the domed and pointed pellets push through...instead of cutting through... like wadcutters....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:56 pm 

Generally, Wadcutters are used in target practice and competitions(10m air rifle and pistol) because they cut a nice clean hole that's easier for scoring. They do lose their velocity fast and their effective range in terms of accuracy is usually around 25 metres. For the distances past 25 metres, I stick with the round nose.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:29 pm 

I like using certain wadcutters to stop ice picking and dump all its energy into its target in hunting. The RWS Meisterkugeln work well for that in most of my guns.

Captain Air

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:46 am 

Some of the competition wad cutters are extremely well made, and must meet some pretty tight manufacturing tolerances (weight and diameter for just 2).

I'm thinking R-10 match here. There are likely others in this class that are worth investigating.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:54 am 

Yep, I like to use the RWS wadcutters too! They fit nicely in my guns and very consistent and accurate.

R10 for my pistols and the yellow tin for my rifles ~

~Target~