Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:35 pm 

Hi,
I was given these two scuba tank "regulators" for a job I did for a friend in need. She didn't know anything about them but they looked useful for filling PCP so I accepted.
Can anyone tell me what they are exactly and what they may be worth?

Thanks,

Duke

Attachments:
20180818_154405.jpg
20180818_154405.jpg [ 162.73 KiB | Viewed 926 times ]
20180818_154414.jpg
20180818_154414.jpg [ 144.23 KiB | Viewed 926 times ]
scuba stuff.jpg
scuba stuff.jpg [ 124.36 KiB | Viewed 926 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:51 pm 

The gauge port is tank psi so that's where I'd tap in to fill the gun. One of the other ports may also be tank psi but you'll have to figure that out yourself. Then the others would need to be plugged up. The actual reg function isn't meant to be precision, just bring the psi down so it won't blow the line or seals to your mouth piece. Don't quote me here but I think they bring it down to <100psi? I believe it's a differential reg giving you xx psi above whatever the surrounding psi it. So lets says it's set to 50psi, then it'll give 50 at the surface but at ~85' down it'll give 100psi, which is 50 above your surrounding pressure.
I don't believe you can set it to a higher psi, like 2k, so imo the reg function is useless.
Just remember that whatever fittings you put on it need to be rated for the pressure. If a fitting yields at 3kpsi it can launch parts into your body or put holes in the wall. Usually not but it depends on the fitting and what it's attached to, but there is a risk.
I have a tank valve (nitrous, not scuba) that I simply drilled/tapped out the hole in the face to 1/8" NPT and inserted a -3AN fitting. This eliminated the need to use an adapter, and the leaky gasket the adapter uses. A scuba valve has less of an area of drill/tap so not sure if you'd want to do that, or if a place will fill it w/ that mod... Your reg dealie may. I'm picturing removing the reg altogether so you just have the clamp part, then drill/tap the part where the seat is for the needle? I'd have to see it first, just sharing stuff going thru my brain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:07 pm 

Thanks Chevota. How do other people go from scuba tank to PCP fill fitting?
Anyone using one of these scuba regulator fittings?

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:50 pm 

They make a similar clamp for airguns but w/o the reg, and a threaded hole to take a fitting. I'm sure you can find a pix somewhere.
New tanks have newer/better valves. In fact I have no idea why the old scuba valve exists, along with the nitrous and CO2 valves which all take gaskets, all leak and all a pita. Most people are going for the newer valves, which you can put in your tank if you want. Otherwise I'd modify what you have to work.