Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Disappointing Airguns
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:56 pm 

I rarely buy one without reading reviews on the web or in this forum . Unfortunately, the model you buy may not perform as well or last as long as someone else's purchase of the same gun.I was very happy with my Crosman 760 Pumpmaster and Dan Wesson 715 revolvers for several months until defects made them useless. My current disappointment is the Umarex APX 490 pump rifle. Mike at Replica Airguns did a very positive field test awhile ago and other reviews were good. This pumper is priced a little higher than the Crosman 760 and lower than the Crosman M4-177 and looks and feels like a lot of gun for the money.

However, performance for short range target shooting is dismal. I usually start at 25 feet ( my max indoor limit) . I can only get decent but not amazing results at 17 feet with the best pellet it likes to eat. I don't know if it is the pump action or barrel which is the drawback but I suspect the pump is not managing air intake as well as Crosman or Daisy, the leaders in pump rifles.
A good plinker for sure but target groups- no ( at least for mine)
Some will say " what do you expect from a sub $100 rifle" ?
Any other sad stories out there?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:48 pm 

I believe every one has his bad purchase ~ this topic is interesting ~

My worst experience is the Steel Force. Bought it for the look, for the burst shooting, for the rails, for the large BB reservoir ( later I know this is the most worst design of the gun).... Then, I found it's no accuracy especially in burst mode, and then the tricky reloading shake shake dance just screwed me up... And the burst mode is not working all the time, depends on its mood, some times it burst in semi-auto, sometimes it won't burst in auto mode... Due to the accuracy of the gun, the rails are useless as no mater what you attach to it, it won't help you hit your target better... I was thinking I can use this one to better control my pigeon problem than the MP5, as it has a longer barrel and rails for optics and burst to make sure I can hit... Anyway, it did make some noise to drive the pigeons away....

I don't even put this thing to sell as I am afraid I sell a lemon to someone else and it looks putting as-is or give a very cheap price as parts for an almost brand new gun hurt my 'investment' too much ~ :)

Usually better gun sell for higher price, but the guns I bought under 100 bucks all over my expectations and I love them, like the Brodax, the P17, the 1322 ( before mod...lol)...... Looks my other guns are all too expensive!!

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:57 pm 

I hate to put it way but most times new you get what you pay for.
I learned long ago that you’re better to have one good thing whatever it maybe
Than to have a few that may not be so good.
For me I would save up even if it takes a while to get something good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:33 pm 

YepYep wrote:
I believe every one has his bad purchase ~ this topic is interesting ~

My worst experience is the Steel Force. Bought it for the look, for the burst shooting, for the rails, for the large BB reservoir ( later I know this is the most worst design of the gun).... Then, I found it's no accuracy especially in burst mode, and then the tricky reloading shake shake dance just screwed me up... And the burst mode is not working all the time, depends on its mood, some times it burst in semi-auto, sometimes it won't burst in auto mode... Due to the accuracy of the gun, the rails are useless as no mater what you attach to it, it won't help you hit your target better... I was thinking I can use this one to better control my pigeon problem than the MP5, as it has a longer barrel and rails for optics and burst to make sure I can hit... Anyway, it did make some noise to drive the pigeons away....

I don't even put this thing to sell as I am afraid I sell a lemon to someone else and it looks putting as-is or give a very cheap price as parts for an almost brand new gun hurt my 'investment' too much ~ :)

Usually better gun sell for higher price, but the guns I bought under 100 bucks all over my expectations and I love them, like the Brodax, the P17, the 1322 ( before mod...lol)...... Looks my other guns are all too expensive!!

Neither of these guns is suitable for pesting pigeons. Shame on you. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:40 am 

Of course I know now. That is one great reason and advantage to join this forum. Learnt so much in the past year.

At that time I just got my first air gun, the MP5 and the second one the Witness. I don't know what's a pellet gun, what's a pumper, what's called accuracy ( hitting a pop can in 10 feet is 'accurate' to me at the time, as I couldn't hit the pigeons on the ceiling about 20 feet away is normal...) :)

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:40 am 

To me, it's the SW M&P 40 from Umarex, it's not working properly and it was replaced 2 times and still does not work properly :evil: . I keeped it for ''decoration'' purpose but still.

People around here have one and they work properly even at Replice air gun, his worked perfect while reviewing it.

SilentMan...

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:21 pm 

SilentMan

What issues have you had with the M&P40? Would you mind sharing some details?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:29 pm 

I'm going to say my Diana 240 Classic. For what it costs. A Ruger Airhawk is cheaper and better.

Spring ends are not squared, the guide rod is cheap and janky. Def not a 240$ + tax gun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:51 pm 

ColdAir wrote:
SilentMan

Mainly, when shooting, the slide stay half open, I have to push it close every time (it will cycle ok ounce in while), like it's getting stuck on the BB... or the nozzle hitting on the back of the feeding lip of the mag. Tried filling a bit of that lip, but it did not work. As I said at a moments I had 2 gun and switch slides and/or mag and/or internal both did the same... I'm not sure what to try...

It's fun to shoot, when it shoot ok...

Attachments:
IMG_7508.jpg
IMG_7508.jpg [ 69.52 KiB | Viewed 1446 times ]

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:16 pm 

And my P17 is a hate and love to me at the same time~

The first one arrived as a lemon then the second one worked well however it just kept me a bit busy. But I learned a lot on this one and it gave me the confidence to invest on my HW40. And the HW40 is the first gun let me know what's called accuracy as one day I tried to use it to shoot a very small object on the ground about half a bullseye big and 6 or 7 meters away that I never thought I can hit it and I hit it right in the middle and it flied away then.... Just so impressed and it just truned a new page in air gunning for me....

But for the P17 itself I just kept on working on it until I finally got something I can't fixed... But for the price and the performance, I just can't complain ~

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:43 pm 

silentman wrote:
ColdAir wrote:
SilentMan

Mainly, when shooting, the slide stay half open, I have to push it close every time (it will cycle ok ounce in while), like it's getting stuck on the BB... or the nozzle hitting on the back of the feeding lip of the mag. Tried filling a bit of that lip, but it did not work. As I said at a moments I had 2 gun and switch slides and/or mag and/or internal both did the same... I'm not sure what to try...

SilentMan,
Thanks for the post. Sounds familiar, especially with rapid shooting. It seems to cool very quickly and the slide doesn't fully cycle.
When it sticks, will it close if you grasp and 'lift' the muzzle of the barrel a bit? (being safe when handling it and all)
If so, one suggestion. Pull the slide and take out the recoil spring and barrel. Inside the slide, topside just forward of the ejection port, is a silver sticker. I think the purpose is to allow the chamber to slide easily without wearing the finish. Problem is, it peels away and bunches up, causing some binding. You can cut away the peeled portion to prevent binding. Give the remaining sticker surface a light wipe with oil if you like. Might help.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:05 pm 

ColdAir wrote:
silentman wrote:
ColdAir wrote:
SilentMan

SilentMan,
Thanks for the post. Sounds familiar, especially with rapid shooting (it starts at first shot brand new CO2, any CO2). It seems to cool very quickly and the slide doesn't fully cycle.
When it sticks, will it close if you grasp and 'lift' the muzzle of the barrel a bit (will try it on my next time)? (being safe when handling it and all)
If so, one suggestion. Pull the slide and take out the recoil spring and barrel. Inside the slide, topside just forward of the ejection port, is a silver sticker (removed it early after it started to peeled off). I think the purpose is to allow the chamber to slide easily without wearing the finish. Problem is, it peels away and bunches up, causing some binding. You can cut away the peeled portion to prevent binding. Give the remaining sticker surface a light wipe with oil if you like (will re-clean and lube that part). Might help.

Cheers!

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:03 pm 

Defiantly the Crosman M4-177. Can not hit a barn door at 33 feet. Added parts and got a good scope. 3 pumps, five pumps eight pumps 10 pumps it just don't matter. Tried all kinds of pellets. It is my wall hanger. Let my stockers tell the rest and is the reason I never talk on this forum. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:35 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Defiantly the Crosman M4-177. Can not hit a barn door at 33 feet. Added parts and got a good scope. 3 pumps, five pumps eight pumps 10 pumps it just don't matter. Tried all kinds of pellets. It is my wall hanger. Let my stockers tell the rest and is the reason I never talk on this forum. CHEERS!

I consistently get less than 1/2 inch groups at 25 feet semi rested .As I said in my thread , not all of the same model are equally good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:51 pm 

Crosman RM422
Lamest excuse for an airgun