Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:16 pm 

Bought this kit last May from Krale. Heard it was good, one of the best drop in kits you can get. I am disappointed to say the least. I mean I barely shot the thing. A tin and a half of pellets, maybe two (and that's being generous, I haven't really had a lot of free time). In fairness, it was a wonderful shooting experience, while it lasted. Smooth, 780fps, with about a 79 to 81 dB noise signature per the Sound Meter app on android. But still, even if I'd put five tins, or even ten tins through it, I only got this kit last May! I can accept something breaking down after a few years, that's just life, but this is absolutely NOT acceptable considering what they charge for this.

Ok, so last night, I wondered why my .177 77 suddenly won't cock anymore. Cocking lever won't go more than halfway. Opened it up and found the back end of the spring guide had snapped off. It snapped right where the spring guide's glued to a metal washer. This is a terrible design flaw. The only thing I can think that may have caused/aggravated this is changing pellets from 8.44 JSB Exacts to 10.65 H&N 'cuda Matches. Takes more energy to move a heavier pellet and all that. Thankfully I still have my Maccari kit with a single piece delrin spring guide. Will try this franken-mix of VGlide piston+CT with Maccari TH+S+SG. Life's too short to stay mad when you could be shooting right? :D The Maccari TH is longer though so there'll be a bit more preload. Hope the shooting cycle won't be too violent so fingers crossed here. Still, no idea how this could happen. From how the VGlide SG broke, it seems like there was too much shearing stress put on it. How can an uncoiling spring possibly induce that much shearing stress on the guide? There's some lateral motion for sure but you'd think that'd be inconsequential.

Well thanks for listening to me rant. And BUYER BEWARE!

Attachments:
File comment: Far as she goes.
WontCock.jpg
WontCock.jpg [ 40.15 KiB | Viewed 1182 times ]
SpringGuide1.jpg
SpringGuide1.jpg [ 86.31 KiB | Viewed 1182 times ]
SpringGuide2.jpg
SpringGuide2.jpg [ 48.28 KiB | Viewed 1182 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:17 pm 

more pics

Attachments:
SpringGuide3.jpg
SpringGuide3.jpg [ 35.14 KiB | Viewed 1180 times ]
MaccariGuide.jpg
MaccariGuide.jpg [ 69.79 KiB | Viewed 1180 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:17 am 

Where did you purchase that kit?
Personal favorite for me is the Vortex PG2 kit.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:44 am 

Voltar1 wrote:
Where did you purchase that kit?
Personal favorite for me is the Vortex PG2 kit.
Cheers

Bought it from Krale Shietsport. Heard great things about the PG2. But I was really after the VGlide for the buttoned piston and comp tube. Might try it out IF I get another springer. The 77 just shoulders so well so probably not for a while.

Cheers! :D

PS. Just finished reassembling with the VGlide/Maccari internals. Not as smooth to cock. :cry: I can hear the spring rubbing against something now but that's to be expected as these are mismatched kits. Shot cycle still okay, just a little rougher than before but still ok. Just took some shots at a 2"x2" post at 48yds to test it's hold sensitivity. One off hand, one rested on my palm on a bar stool, and one resting on a throw pillow on a bar stool and was 3 for 3. Sweet. Without chronying it, I'd guess it's still at that 770-780fps sweet spot hence the hold insensitivity, but... will I ever miss that old cocking action.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:38 pm 

In the past Maccari springs were too soft for my liking. IMO if you want smooth back get the Vortex kit. That would be so much better
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:30 pm 

Hmmm... you know what, I just may try it. This Vmach/Maccari hybrid just isn't cutting it for me. I think the Maccari spring is really meant to work with the original piston and comp tube.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:14 pm 

Just a quick update. So got in touch with Steve from VMach. Luck of the draw, got a kit that's probably been at the back shelf at Krale's for a while. The spring guide design has since been modified and reinforced to prevent the washer from snapping off. That being said, Steve sent me a new guide free if after giving him the dimensions of the old guide. So great customer service from VMach!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:34 pm 

IanV wrote:
.... Shietsport....

There's your problem! :lol:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum