Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:40 pm 

In shooting a pistol with 6 rounds, it's a pain in the butt for sure having to stop and reload so many times, and putting the BB into the plastic holder take so much time...I have on order a pack of 25 empty shells for my Dan Wesson 6" revolver that way I can load all 25 BBs into the shells.

I'm not sure if I should order spare magazines for my other guns....I mean, I guess it isn't that bad as it's easy to drop in the BBs into the magazine to load. Curious here what the consensus is for having spare magazines loaded and ready.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 pm 

I don't personally think anyone needs more than about 4 to 6 reloads in extra 'magazines. That goes for powder burners as well as air guns. I have 4 10 shot mags

for the Gauntlet and I think a minimum of 4 spare mags. when only 5 shots each, but do have 7, 7 shot mags. for my Marlin gopher rifle .17HMR. I replace mags every

6 shots, leaving one in the chamber, so always ready. This is when at the portable bench, shooting up a rat infested area out to 200yards. After 200yds., the single shot

CF .17 comes out to play.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:45 pm 

I have 6 extra shells for my DW revolver as it comes with a speed loader, so 6 loaded shell just fit into it and won't let the speed loader as a waste...

Then I have 3 extra 8 shots rotary UX mags for all my UX pellet replicas . They just use the same rotary mag and comes only one mag with the gun...

And then, all my other guns are single shot... And actually I shoot these single shot guns much much more than the multi shot replicas.... I usually think if this is multi shot that would be great. But right away I tell myself if I have to sacrifice the accuracy to get multi-shot, I will keep on loving my single-shots...

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 am 

I guess it all depends on what kind of shooting you like to do...
I like to practice IPSC style target shooting and shooting drills that will involve slide lock or tactical reloads. So I usually have three mags per gun. One in and two spares on my belt pouches.

BTW I am looking at getting additional bb shells myself...where did you order yours and at what price? Tx

Daisy 953
Umarex HPP
Walther PPK/S
Smith & Wesson M&P 40
Colt Python .357 (polymer)
Walther CP99
Smith & Wesson TRR8
KWC 226-S5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 am 

When I had C02 guns. I had at least 4-5 mags/clips. Personally if I had one of the shell usable pellet/BB revolvers. I would buy at least enough for 6 reloads. Because I would try it in actions sports.

For my competition 9mm. I have 8. 5 I use, with 3 spares.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am 

My air pistols requiring a magazine are CO2 replica's (Colt SAA 7 1/2 & 5 1/2 + S/W 686) and I have purchased enough extra cartridges/magazines for each of them to help keep track of remaining CO2.

My Colts will shoot 60 shots on a CO2 cartridge so I have 30 cartridges for each gun - run through each twice & its time to change the CO2. I was able to find a small plastic 357 mag cartridge holder and it works perfectly for holding both loaded & empty cartridges for my Colts.

My S/W 686 gets 40 good shots on one CO2 so I have 5 magazines for it - load 4 & keep one empty in gun until ready to shoot.

I find this system works very well for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:33 am 

Back when I had my 10-22, I had 4, 25 rd steel lips mags for it. Fun factor with that was extremely high. It sure didn't take long to get through a brick of cheap long rifle ammo.

Current .22 pb is the 52 sporter. I have 2, 5 round mags for it, and they are quite enough for a hunting rifle. They are flush with the bottom of the fore-arm, and completely out of the way.

Haven't counted the mags for the 586- went on a spree for them. I think I may have 4 or 5.

Think I have 3 spares for the Umarex auto replica pellet pistols I have.
The Colt pellet SAA's I have don't need any more than the six cartridge type cases that come with the gun. I load the pellets into them through the guns loading gate, and leave it at that.

I have 2 spool type wind up mags for the Chaser co-2 pistol and Artemis pumper rifle, both .22.
I find I use the single shot tray on both guns more than I use the mags. That single shot habit has arisen out of very frequent13-XX and 22XX use over the years, and I'm quite comfortable with it...

I would like to get a couple of spare mags for the MP-40 b.b. gun, but will wait for prices to drop. That is a fun gun!

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:57 pm 

DS- I picked up 3 spare 5-round (they were out of 10's) magazines for my Anschutz .22. At $69.95 + taxes,+HANDLING Fee + shipping, cost close to $300.00 landed here close to the left coast. I had just paid $300.00 for the rifle with a magazine already in it, so I guess I got the rifle for $215.00. I looked for gold plating on the magazines, but there was none.
Would love to have one of those new model 52 sporters. I used an old target model 52 for the WWFGames in 1989. Got Gold (team) and Silver (2nd highest score) with that rifle.

Attachments:
IMG_2024.JPG
IMG_2024.JPG [ 30.46 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 pm 

Fought tooth and nail to get the spare 5 round 52 mag. It cost me 65 bucks in '93.
Had a 10 rounder for it, but it kept snagging on my old hook and claw sling.

Mentioned before that rifle was 17th on the BDT sporter list, and the first Canadian max at 25 yds.
She made 64th for 50 yds over-all, and 10th Canadian at 50.
I'm no longer steady enough at my age to shoot that well. Tight enough for grouse and rabbits :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:42 am 

It doesn't take long to load the BBs on a mag that takes 16 or 20, but for the revolver, I think it's a must to have the spare shells loaded with BBs. Tried it last night....all 25 shells ready to be swapped out.

Get it from Amazon - cheaper at $53 than other places.

Yeager wrote:
I guess it all depends on what kind of shooting you like to do...
I like to practice IPSC style target shooting and shooting drills that will involve slide lock or tactical reloads. So I usually have three mags per gun. One in and two spares on my belt pouches.

BTW I am looking at getting additional bb shells myself...where did you order yours and at what price? Tx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:41 pm 

Doc - I still have my wide hooked Anschutz sling, purchased through CP Lecky(I think), Van.B.C. in 1973, along with my shooting mitt.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:02 pm 

Browning has had a synthetic speed sling out for a number of years now. It does the left above elbow hook almost as well as the old leather/web slings, and is much faster to get into. Not a solid feel like a competition sling though- it's actually sort of a giving, stretchy feel. I guess that's why we don't see them on the line much these days...

What I use now can be accurately termed "carry strap", and that's about it. Prefer 1-1/2" leather. Can get a left forearm wrap with these that helps a little, especially on small game over tall grass/willows...

-D.S.