Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:30 am 

On a recent trip to Moncton I stopped in at Cabella's and saw the Colt SAA which I purchased.
I ordered the Remington last week and it arrived on Friday from Cabella's.
The Colt I have is the pellet version but the Remington shoots both BB's & pellets. There are 6 shells for each type.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/92223/co ... air-pistol

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97193/re ... t-revolver

I did play around with both shooting pellets at about 15 feet.
The grouping seems slightly better on the Colt (probably due to rifled barrel) but it shoots towards the left.
The Remington (with pellets) shoots in the center but little low.
With the Remington I just hold a little high and am able to kit the metal targets with ease.
The Colt not so much ... still need to figure out where to hold I guess.

I haven't shot BB's with the Remington yet ... not sure about shooting steel BB's indoors on metal targets.
I seems that since the Remington has a larger grip and maybe why it shoots better.
Also the Remington has a longer smooth barrel at 7.5".

The Colt seems slightly better on the finishing.
Both operate well but one shell on the Remington started blocking the pellet from firing.
It gets stuck in the shell where you insert it. I need to push from the back to get it out.
It does however shoot the 2nd time around.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:44 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:07 am 

I have the same colt revolver. The notch in the topstrap against the bright finish for a rear sight is hard to see even in good daylight. I still like it a lot, and it will do the soda can dance fairly well at ten paces. A target pistol it surely ain't though.

The safety on both guns appears similar. Was the Remington manufactured in the same origin as the Umarex Colt?
I may yet get the Remington. The decision would be easier if it had a rifled bore.

- D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:44 pm 

I know what you mean about the sights ... very shiny.
Did more shooting yesterday and the results have improved.
I have decided to shoot mainly bb's with the Remington and I must say it shoots very well on bb's as well.
My aim has improved with the Colt as well...those sights do make it a challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:32 pm 

Just back from Cabela's. Picked up the last 1875 Remington in the store~ which was the one in the display case. Got a 10% discount for display model :mrgreen:

Probly gonna be a few days before I get to shoot it. The larger grip on the Rem is nice. Trigger's awfully heavy compared to the Colt, but it feels like it's still wearing in. Cylinder release on the 1875 actually works!

Pix in a bit....

Keep thinking this is gonna be the last CO-2 pistol, but there's a Umarex Legends Pocket Ace model with the stubby bbl and the ace of spades on the grips. Fell in love with it on first sight :oops: Probly buy it next payday as it is a pellet model with rifled bore....

Both guns are mfg'd in Taiwan, from what appears to be the same factory. Finish on the Rem cylinder is a little rougher than the colt, and the cylinders have a lot of differences. Pretty pleased so far...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:21 am 

Side by side size comparison. Grip size differences are readily apparent here.

Cylinder release rod extended. Release button on the Umarex Colt is a dummy as far as tool-less operation goes. Not brave enough yet to take a screw-driver to the Colt. Both guns have a spring loaded metal gas seal that mates with the front of the cylinder, over the forcing cone. Load on this spring is light enough to allow the cylinder to rotate with a minimum of forced drag...

Laser etching detail. It's actually quite subdued over the bright shiny chrome finish.

Hammer comparison. Virtually identical, except the Colt is finished a bit more finely- the cast lines have been polished out on it.

Crosman head-stamped pellet cartridge through the loading gate. All were very dirty. I ran a nylon .177 brush through them, and they look a lot better. The pellet cartridges are marked with the internationally recognized wad-cutter pellet symbol, while the b.b. cartridges are marked 4.5mm....

Cylinder rod release button. This is actually blued steel :mrgreen:
Hopefully will get out for a test fire in the next couple of days...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:24 am 

Crosman pellet cartridge at left, Umarex Colt at right.

The Crosman cartridge will fit in the Colt cylinder. The Colt cartridge will not fit into the Crosman~ The crosman cylinder has a step milled into it. Corresponding step on the cartridge case is just barely visible in photo. Possible reason for this is that those desiring spare cartridge cases will have to buy the Crosman marketed cases :roll:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:52 pm 

Nice pics :)

I mostly shoot BB's with the 1875 now since it's a smooth bore.
I was looking for lead BB's to shoot steel targets but haven't found any yet. Don't really want to shoot steel BB's indoors at steel :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:07 am 

Gamo still makes Lead Round Balls in .177. If I remember correctly, they are much closer in diameter to .177 than 4.5mm B.B..
You may have to use the pellet cases in your 1875 Rem for them.

This one's next on the list:

Endorsed by this guy:

Shockey's got nothin on ol' McGraw :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:31 am 

I was looking at that one as well here ...
https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/umarex-l ... olver.html

However, I decided to order this instead ...
https://www.amazon.ca/Tanfoglio-358003- ... words=1911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:47 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Just back from Cabela's. Picked up the last 1875 Remington in the store~ which was the one in the display case. Got a 10% discount for display model :mrgreen:

Probly gonna be a few days before I get to shoot it. The larger grip on the Rem is nice. Trigger's awfully heavy compared to the Colt, but it feels like it's still wearing in. Cylinder release on the 1875 actually works!

Pix in a bit....

Keep thinking this is gonna be the last CO-2 pistol, but there's a Umarex Legends Pocket Ace model with the stubby bbl and the ace of spades on the grips. Fell in love with it on first sight :oops: Probly buy it next payday as it is a pellet model with rifled bore....

Both guns are mfg'd in Taiwan, from what appears to be the same factory. Finish on the Rem cylinder is a little rougher than the colt, and the cylinders have a lot of differences. Pretty pleased so far...

-D.S.

Well that sucks! The trigger on the Colt is awesome (well mine is) I couldn't wait to get the Crosman and was expecting the same trigger... have no fear, I'm still gonna buy it :wink:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:59 am 

Trigger is heaver but not an issue for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:43 am 

BTW the Colt SAA BB version is on sale today ...

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/77905/co ... -bb-pistol

I am tempted but since I have the pellet version and the 1875 shoots BB's I think I will pass on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:31 pm 

I had it out for a brief hour's trial today.
Good news is that after the 3rd cylinder, the trigger smoothed out a lot. It is highly predictable.
It was -2C, and I was in and out of the car a lot to keep the CO-2 warm.

There is something to the step that is milled into the cylinder and cartridge cases. I'm not getting anywhere near the amount of gas blow-by that I do with the Colt. Shot count is nice and high. I got 52 usable shots on target at 7 paces with a combination of b.b.'s, and various pellets.

The only b.b.'s I had for trial were Daisy plated steel. Some fell through the b.b. cartridges, rather than seating. I have to dig out the RWS competition b.b.'s to give this revolver a fair shake with b.b.'s.

It spit the Crosman 7.9 gr. milk carton field/hunting points with disgust into about an 8" group at 7 paces.

Surprise projectile was the metal-mag Predator as marketed by Crosman at 7 paces, on somewhat stinky Daisy CO-2:

6 went into 3/8" on centers :shock:, albeit low, and to the left.
I had loaded them into the b.b. cartridge cases, and they seated normally.

I am more than happy with this revolver. The only downside is I have to do the 2.75 X reading glasses thing in order to see the sights well enough to hit with consistency...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:29 am 

Remington's next on My list, when they introduce new finish?

Attachments:
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg [ 301.73 KiB | Viewed 3410 times ]
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg [ 265.06 KiB | Viewed 3410 times ]