Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman Pellgun oil
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:44 pm 

Have some. Can this oil be safely used on piston of a piston spring air gun? Anyone ever figure out what pellgun oil actually is?

Post subject: Re: Crosman Pellgun oil
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:25 pm 

Grizzlypeg wrote:
Have some. Can this oil be safely used on piston of a piston spring air gun? Anyone ever figure out what pellgun oil actually is?

No, do not use that in a springer. Use Crosmans silicone oil instead. This one:

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -oil-p-111

It is non detergent motor oil......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:53 pm 

Grizzlypeg wrote:
Anyone ever figure out what pellgun oil actually is?

Got... to... resist... not... making... comments
Who am I kidding, I (like many others) can't resist airgun oil talk.
Pellgun oil according to Crosman MSDS (available here: http://www.crosman.com/pdf/msds/MSDS-PELLGUNOIL.pdf ) is monolec GFS SAE 30 engine oil which has according to the manufacturer and I quote
Quote:
Exceptional detergency
you can see the monolec PDF flyer here: http://www.le-inc.com/products/documents/8420-8450_flyer.pdf
This is the "official" info available from the manufacturers.
Someone working with the actual oil said it was thicker than pellgun oil so...
I'll keep using pellgun oil until I can be 100% sure of what's inside (which probably means never).

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:18 pm 

IMO, based on decades of experience, ordinary 30 wt, non-detergent motor oil is a much better product to use for your airguns than Pellgunoil.

I could never quite figure out why Pelgunoil seemed to cause such a gummed up mess in older airguns, yet ordinary 30 wt non-detergent motor oil does not appear to do so, yet for many years it was claimed that Pelgunoil was 30 wt non-detergent oil.

Since the relatively recent posting of the MSDS sheets stating that the Pelgunoil is in reality, a highly detergent oil, it now makes some degree of sense why the Pelgunoil tends to gum things up more than non-detergent oil. I suspect that perhaps it is the breakdown over time of the detergent agents that may be causing this gummy mess. Just speculation, not claiming it as fact.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:25 pm 

I read somewhere that it is the paraffin base the pellgunoil is made from that causes it to congeal and become sticky over time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:09 pm 

I don't know if my "old stand-by" is recommended or not but I've been using hydraulic-fluid with satisfactory results . It will not deteriorate the seals and there were no combustion-related problems . --- Just my 2 cents ! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:15 pm 

Light-heavyweight wrote:
I don't know if my "old stand-by" is recommended or not but I've been using hydraulic-fluid with satisfactory results . It will not deteriorate the seals and there were no combustion-related problems . --- Just my 2 cents ! 8)

hydraulic fluid is a very interesting possibility. I used to have some and for some reason it was also red. In any event, you've answered the question about using it in a spring gun, and now I know not to.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:15 am 

I used to use a silicone oil from Airsoft Innovations on my airsoft guns. There are no ingredient listings on the label. It only says "Light Silicone Oil".
Would that be good to use on an airgun pistol, say on the bolt probe? Why do the instructions for inserting a new CO2 cartridge recommend to put a drop of Crosman Pellgun Oil on the end of the cartridge?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:06 am 

i switched over to 30wt non detergent several years ago sence then i have never had a reseal any of my guns, so i also reccomend it to all my customers, the crosman stuff is ok in pinch but it does cause premature break down of the seals and yup it gums crap up over time..

you can also get a 1L bottle of 30wt for under 3 bucks or spend 4 bucks on a tiny little tube of crosman pellgun oil ummmm i like the first option my self alot better

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:24 am 

Non detergent 30wt can also be found as "Mineral oil". This is a typical petroleum based oil with out any additives such as detergent. Detergent is added to glom onto contaminants so they stay in suspension that then can be filtered out. Mineral oil is a simple pure oil that is more seal compatible. . However it is combustible and should never be used to lube the compression tube. Cost is negligible and a liter will last for ever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:42 pm 

I've also heard of pure coconut oil, no detonation, doesn't gum up and it apparently works great to lube pellets too.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:56 pm 

Well, Thanks a lot!!!....I finally talked myself into buying a tube of Pellgun oil last night at Walmart.....I have a shop full of 10wt, 20wt, 30wt, and 40wt oils...I have vintage cars as well as vintage airguns.... Use it in SU carbs too.(30wt cut with 10wt when 20wt gets scarce,...and it does.............................Well, it's unopened so I'm taking it back....$4.50 is $4.50 right? Thumper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:23 pm 

thumper wrote:
Well, Thanks a lot!!!....I finally talked myself into buying a tube of Pellgun oil last night at Walmart.....I have a shop full of 10wt, 20wt, 30wt, and 40wt oils...I have vintage cars as well as vintage airguns.... Use it in SU carbs too.(30wt cut with 10wt when 20wt gets scarce,...and it does.............................Well, it's unopened so I'm taking it back....$4.50 is $4.50 right? Thumper

Don't forget to use the high mileage stuff on your vintage airguns :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:30 pm 

$4.50 for a tube? That has to be nearly as bad as inkjet printers ink.

I read somewhere that stuff sells for hundreds of thousands per barrel if you buy it in the cartridges which I guess is the only way to buy it.

I worked at a filling station back in the 60s while I was in high school. Even back then we only carried one brand of non-detergent motor oil and it was about half the price of regular oil. I think a lot of people still thought it was the correct oil as we sold a lot and put it in cars which I am sure were not intended to use it.

Now I can find only one type at Wal-Mart and it is just as high as the top brands but since a quart will last forever, I guess it doesn't matter.

There is an independent hardware store near here which has a well earned reputation for having just about anything you would want in the hardware area. I stopped by yesterday and asked if they had any molybdenum disulfide powder and the kid didn't even know what I was talking about. It is one of those stores where when you go in, you wait for an assistant and he will go look up what you want. You can go with him if you want to or just wait for him.

One day I am going to ask him if I can just go look at their lubricants as they just may have it and him not know it. I did find a chain saw lube with moly in it after he said they didn't have any maybe two years ago. What I want tho is the powder,.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:09 pm 

I have straight weight 30 non-detergent for use in air compressor crankcases. If that's all it is, then I wasted my money. There is some value though in using something you know will work, and if the Crosman pellgun oil is good on C02 seals, then its worth it as it should last a long time.