Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:31 pm 

Hey fellow members, getting the itch to get my first pistol (and probably a few more following that one). Looking at mainly co2 or break barrel (the few that exist) in pellets (don't like multiple pump guns or BB's). Will mainly be using for backyard target/plinking at the 10-15 meter mark. Any recommendations on where to start OR what to avoid. Looking at anywhere between $100-$200 new or used

Thanks in advance

Airforce Condor .177
Artemis PP750 .22
Artemis PP700 .22
Diana Chaser pcp rifle .22
Weihrauch HW40 .177/.22
Webley Alecto .177/.22

Last edited by yannicksjh on Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:35 pm 

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_PT_ ... istol/2208

Makes for a nice pellet pistol with quick follow up shots.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/?s=pt-85&btnGo=

Longer barrel increases both fps and accuracy..(has the longest barrel on any pellet pistol worldwide with a 12 inch barrel)

8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:40 pm 

you forgot a very important part.... price range ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:47 pm 

Ace wrote:
you forgot a very important part.... price range ?

Ha, good point! Looking at $100-$200 new or used

Airforce Condor .177
Artemis PP750 .22
Artemis PP700 .22
Diana Chaser pcp rifle .22
Weihrauch HW40 .177/.22
Webley Alecto .177/.22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:49 pm 

There are many things to consider, most importantly what kind of experience do you want to have.
Just like rifles you have to chose between spring piston, SSP, CO2, PCP etc power plants among other things. One of the other things is "blow back" which is a feature offered on some CO2 pistols <edit, never seen it on a rifle> to imitate the recoil of a powder burner pistol.
Personally, I find blow back to be annoying since it makes it more difficult to hit the target, but it's a very personal choice.
So, what would you like to do with your pistol (s)? ... :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 pm 

I would suggest staying away from anything that is gas or PCP powered, get something that works with levers, that way you won't have to spend money on "fuel" for it, just pellets.

The Browning Buckmark looks like it'd be a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HywBI40n5_g

under $100 as well, brand new.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

Last edited by Twiggy on Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 pm 

Get the Artemis CP1 or Chaser from Airgun Archery, PM Wes, this is the best value for the money in features and price point for a CO2. if you want to fiddle around, crosman 2240 series.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:12 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
I would suggest staying away from anything that is gas or PCP powered, get something that works with levers, that way you won't have to spend money on "fuel" for it, just pellets.

The Browning Buckmark looks like it'd be a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HywBI40n5_g

under $100 as well, brand new.

Do not buy that gun! It's so weak, it's useless.

If interested in accuracy get a P17, more accurate than you are and really cheap too!
If you want to try CO2 you cannot go wrong with Crosman 2240.
Both should be featured in every airgunner collection.

If you tell us more about what you're looking for in a pistol, your past experiences etc we can better help you out.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:55 pm 

Can not beat the Beeman P17 for quietness and accuracy, and at $50 - $60 each you could buy two. Open sights on one, red dot on second one. Any CO2 pistol is not backyard friendly IMO. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:10 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Any CO2 pistol is not backyard friendly IMO. CHEERS!

Depends on the backyard, or area he lives in.

Cannot go wrong with a Crosman Vigilante, Under 100$ for C02, or Beeman P17 for non CO2.

FYI 2x on not buying the buckmark. Its weak, heavy trigger. I ended up giving it to my step father.

Last edited by leadslinger on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:11 pm 

P17 is sure a great pistol for the price! I've got a few of those, same as most dealers. The Cp1-M is an amazing value too if you are open to co2. The new ones I got with Canadashootingsupply.ca have such a nice wood grip and the higher front sight makes using open sights great. I've found them really accurate as well, and easy to get up to 495fps. =)
Only downside is no safety. Have to decock it manually.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:20 pm 

I've never personally used the buckmark, from what I've heard it seems good as a "first pellet pistol".

It seems with up to a $200 budget, the OP is willing to spend a little more.

My first pellet pistol was the Crosman Vigilante, but if he has a small backyard/ lives in a populated area, I'd say to stay away from it because it's pretty loud. When I first got it we lived in the GTA in a residential neighborhood, we had to go all the way to waterdown to a gun club there to shoot it at their archery/airgun range, only costed $5 to shoot as a guest. Anyways, it must be pretty loud as the sunday mornings my father and I went on, there were guys shooting trap, and some of them came over to see what we were doing because they said they could hear it from where they were, which was on the other side of the property.

I'd still recommend staying away from anything gas or pcp powered as well and go with lever or single pump simply because he wouldn't need to spend money on "fuel", which means more money for pellets - more shooting.

I watched some videos on that P17, and it does seem pretty good, so here's another vote for the P17 I guess.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:38 pm 

The P17 is a great choice if you're looking for an accurate; inexpensive pistol (that still gives you a bit of a workout every time you pump it up).

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614

OR:

topic82475.html

The superior HW40...

8)

Last edited by wllm995 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:44 pm 

P17 of course and go from there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:23 pm 

I vote to the P17 too. For that price, the accuracy of the gun will just surprise you! And the power of the gun is good too. About 400fps can full fill your need. The only down side is the out of box quality maybe make you feel annoying as you have to do some job to make it runs smoothly and keep runs smoothly in a long run.

For an upgrade, go for a German made HW40 ( which the original model that the P17 copied ) will be a good choice for no doubt. However the HW40 may over your budget a little bit.

By the way, HW40 and P17 are called SSP. It's a pump action pistol, but as named on the first S, single pump to shoot, just like the springer and not like the multi pump ( Crosman 1322/1377), you need several pumps to shoot...

The Browning Buckmark is super weak, it may even fail to penetrate a pop can (in some distance )... Don't go for it ~

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next