Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Blathering.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:25 am 

Heading out this a.m. to the spring Dugald gun show. I missed last year's. I think there's another in October.

Will be looking primarily for a steel tube Micro-track K 2.5 W Weaver, and interesting a/g's.

I was in Cabela's last night, and walked out yet again without buying anything. Of interest is the .177 Benjamin Charger at half price. I need another springer like I need a hole in the head. The bbl shroud on it is nice, and sure does make it tempting. They have about half a dozen of the Sig p-226 in pellet. Same story there- I got CO-2 pistols up the whazoo, and they hardly, if ever get used....
Got sticker shocked on scopes too, and Cabela's line up of nightforce, Nikon and vortex are all just about out of reach. They are all big, huge scopes, geared more to competition, than hunting... I wonder how many actually lug their huge Nightforces out to the deer trail :rolleyes:

Will be trying the gravel pit east of St. Rita afterwards. I have a lot of pellets to work up in several guns, and some chrony work to do. Hopefully the burn ban hasn't spread, and the backroads are still open....

-D.S.

Post subject: Re: Blathering.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:07 am 

Happy gun and scope hunting and Gravel pit shooting! Sounds like a great day overall!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:08 am 

That show came close to being a complete bust.

There was a decent Win model 12 light-weight in 12 ga, with a plain ribless bbl. Sweet swinger though. Price nice too, but I didn't have those kinda funds. I expect it probably sold shortly after I ooohhhed and awwwed over it...

Absolutely zilch for airguns at this show.

Did a couple of minor scores. Got a pair of n.i.b. Durango riders in size 11 E.E. Pretty happy about that. Someone dated the box 1979, and the leather's a bit dry. No biggie though. There's some neatsfoot around here somewhere.

Did get a Weaver. Not a K-2.5 W, but a KV! Weaver's first production variable....

It has the dings and scratches from decades of field use. Not pristine, but still in good shooting shape, with clear glass and the standard for the time fine crosshair reticle.

Roll stamps on the elevation plate.

Windage plate showing the zoom control knob. It is weather protected by a thread-in cap....

There it is on my test platform .177 carbine.

From what I could tell in the stiff and extremely cold winds, it seems to hold a repeatable zero at twenty yards.

I hemmed and hawed over making the decision to buy it. Biggest factor is I've never seen on before in person. I actually looked at it 4 times before taking the plunge, and I'm glad I did.

It does not perform anywhere near a modern optic. The 2.75-5 X magnification range is miniscule by today's standards. Eye relief goes from about 2 1/2" at 5 X to almost 4" at 2.75 X. Gotta remember though that at the time these were current, 6 X was considered a very long range hunting scope.... I is pleased with myself! :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:44 am 

Congrats!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:15 pm 

Nice little scope! I’m starting to appreciate the older scopes myself.

Walther Lever, FWB 300S, FWB 601, FX Dreamline FT
Other goodies!