Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:26 pm 

I've finally decided to pull the trigger (pun intended :D ) on getting my first blowback bb gun. I've used plenty of various powder burners and airguns over the years. I'm getting the Umarex Walther VP9 from Replica Airguns. I was checking his site and found it interesting after watching the videos and he had a good sale on it too! ( https://www.replicaairguns.ca/hk-vp9-17 ... ack-pistol ). Normally $109.99 down to $82.49. It was just over $100 with taxes and shipping! I can't wait for it to arrive and try it.

I'll be setting up my garage which is just under 20 feet (I'll set up about 15 feet), so hopefully I'll get a bit tighter groupings than Michael could in his 30 foot range as he mentioned in his review it shoots a bit low at 30 feet. I figure I want it for fun and knocking down pop cans etc.

So onto a few questions - I'm looking for recommendations of bb's to use. I've read a lot of negative stuff about the crosman copperheads (that's all that I can get at my local stores in Whitehorse). Something that will feed nicely and not cause jams. Any thoughts?

I was also reading the user manual online and it said to use a maintenance cartridge every 250 shots. CO2/Oil mixed. Turn upside down and dry fire it with no ammo until cartridge is spent. Seem kind of silly to to me to do that. Could I just use a drop of pellgun oil on top of each co2 I load?

Oh, and here's the real kicker! I went to looking for a pistol case today and found a Plano single case at Walmart. When I went to the cash - it was JUST $1.00. That was a heck of a score!

I'll post again after I've had a chance to try it.

Thanks and greetings from the fairly far up north!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:31 pm 

paulv wrote:
I've finally decided to pull the trigger (pun intended :D ) on getting my first blowback bb gun. I've used plenty of various powder burners and airguns over the years. I'm getting the Umarex Walther VP9 from Replica Airguns. I was checking his site and found it interesting after watching the videos and he had a good sale on it too! ( https://www.replicaairguns.ca/hk-vp9-17 ... ack-pistol ). Normally $109.99 down to $82.49. It was just over $100 with taxes and shipping! I can't wait for it to arrive and try it.

I was also reading the user manual online and it said to use a maintenance cartridge every 250 shots. CO2/Oil mixed. Turn upside down and dry fire it with no ammo until cartridge is spent. Seem kind of silly to to me to do that. Could I just use a drop of pellgun oil on top of each co2 I load?

I'll post again after I've had a chance to try it.

Thanks and greetings from the fairly far up north!

Congrats on your new purchase!

For sure pellgun oil on each powerlet should do the job...

8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:33 pm 

I used crosman bb for 40 years they always work for me as for oiling a drop on the tip ever so often just keep it clean in general it will be fine ....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:20 pm 

hey paul. have fun with the new gun. wow you live in Whitehorse and the most you can get to shoot is 20 ft. (just kiddin.) that's about as much as I,ve got in my little garage. it,s not to bad for pistols though. daisy bbs are good (on amazon 4000 for $11.93.) and umarex steel bbs are good to (from amazon $3.58 for 1500.). I got an amazon prime account for only $9.00 a month. with it you get free shipping on a lot of stuff and a ton of movies and series to watch free too. everytime I buy something off amazon I put a couple little plastic bottles of the umarex ones into the cart. good luck have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 am 

Yes, you can't go wrong with the Umarex steel BB from Amazon. Good quality BB, at a great price. Walmart.ca also sometimes has it for same price, so if you have a smaller order, you can get free ship to your local Walmart store.

I use the Crosman Copperhead BB's in most of my Crosman airguns, other than the full auto DPMS. As, I use the Hornady Black Diamond BB's in all my full auto BB gun, to avoid jams. I have not found any problem with the Copperheads, but my airgun repair guy told me not to use them as he finds they leave a lot of residue (copper dust) in airguns, that tends to gum them up.

Also, I put a drop of Pellgun oil on tip of every CO2 I use, and that seems to keep seals lubricated, and avoids the need to use the maintenance CO2 cartridge.

Great buy on a pistol case. You should buy more for the next airguns you buy. As no one can just buy one! My recommendation for your next blow-back pistol, a 1911 (many different varieties), or a Beretta M92 A1 with full auto.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:27 pm 

DUDE NO!!! When you asked for a nice blowback BB pistol I told you not to waste your money on the VP9!!!
It's not really "bad" but certainly not the best! It's your first so you'll probably like it but when you get a nicer one you'll understand why that one really isn't that great.

I fell victim of it's great looks and price too but regreted as soon as I unpacted it.

It's like the Gen3 Glocks, the slide is kinda thin and sounds like tin. It doesn't have the heft, the quality feeling/sound of the nice ones.
The M&P, the 1911's, the SIG Sauer or the new version of the H&K USP.

I bought it at the same time the SIG P365 came out, now THAT is a great gun!

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun