Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:22 pm 

Well I received a reply from the RCMP when I asked about the 2289G Rifle/Pistol...which is it?
Even though the Crosman website marks it as a rifle....it is indeed classed as a pistol...good to know for sure what I read on here was not just hearsay...you guys were right.... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:45 pm 

Every now and then this pops up, it's a good reminder. That said if you stay under 500fps do what you will.
RCMP has there messed up set of regs and that won't change ever..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:03 pm 

I would have thought it was a rifle. Pity, they would be nice to fully modify. Lucky Americans.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:10 pm 

Search function does work. Bob has a sticky that talks about the 2289 being a pistol, and there are couple other threads.

Moral of the story is.. Just because a business says something, doesn't make it true.

For sticky purpose..

Quote:
Ron G.
Post subject: Re: Crosman 2289g 'BackPacker' Pistol/Rifle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Okay, since this question has been bothering me I called the CFC and was put through to their so-called "verifier" section. After looking it up the gentleman there said that if the .22 cal 2289G strayed over 500 fps then it is classed as a restricted weapon. I asked specifically if that meant it was in the FRT as a handgun and he replied yes. FWIW, I can't believe it is actually listed in the FRT period as it is normally classed as a non-firearm. Doesn't the FRT list only firearms ? But, even if he was not entirely correct (never can tell how proficient some of them are interpreting the regulations, etc.) then it would make sense that there is a better than even chance that one would be in possession of a restricted handgun if the gun strayed over 500 fps with normal weight pellets. The fact that he was not immediately familiar with the model but was able to reference it quickly as a pistol weighs heavily in favour of the 2289 actually being designated as a pistol by the powers that be.

Quote:
Post subject: When is a 22XX not PAL rated?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:53 am

I have been asked by a Mod to comment on this because I personally went through this many years ago, when the Registration for Non-Restricted Firearms was still in place.... I had a few project guns that I wished to register, so contacted the CFC, and they requested photos and specifications, which I provided.... Two were based on 2250s, and two on 2289s.... All used the Crosman "skeleton" Carbine stock, and barrels from 14.5 - 24" long.... All four were initially denied registration unless I had an R-PAL (I didn't, only a PAL) but the negotiations went on for about a year while they did their research.... Arguments on my side on the 2250s were that Crosman was selling them in a 18" barreled Carbine version as a rifle, and that the 2289 was, of course a Carbine, and that all of them met the 26" minimum overall length....

Eventually the answer I got was that in all cases, the rule was "once a pistol, always a pistol", and the 2250 was originally a pistol, and described as such by Crosman, and the 2289 was a Carbine version of the 1377, and came with handgrips, so it was also considered a pistol.... I was told that they were not a problem if they remained under 500 fps, but above that I would need my RPAL.... I did different things with different ones.... One of the 2250s I modded below 500 fps, on CO2, so it was non-PAL.... The other I replaced the tube with one from a 2260 (a rifle) and a 14.5" barrel, and it became my PCP Grouse Gun.... The two pumpers got tubes from a 2100/2200, which was a rifle.... One became by Uber-Pumper (.177 with a 24" barrel), the other my Uber-Carbine (.22 with a 14.5" barrel), and all three of those were subsequently registered....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 pm 

Why would I use the search function when someone has just posted the answer? Isnt that kind of redundant?I am a busy man.