Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:44 pm 

So, I’ve got a few older classics that would be considered collectible at this point. Nothing crazy, just a few solid older Weihrauch and Diana rifles. I know condition is everything to a true collector, not necessarily to a shooter. I also know generally leaving them “as is” is the preferred state. However, on a gun with minor scratches in the metal, would it be prudent to maybe use a bluing pen or something to protect the metal from future corrosion? Or is leaving it and just using light oil coating to protect it better?

When it comes to the stock, I’ve heard refinishing doesn’t necessarily take away from the overall appeal if it’s done well. What’s the opinion on this?

I’m just trying to decide if I should delve into some restoration work or not. I don’t want to “ruin” a classic rifle.

I’ve notice more apparent interest and sales of vintage guns from here to overseas. It’s a shame to lose some of these rare specimens and it would sure be nice to keep them here in Canada!

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:45 pm 

There's a lot of variables to this question.

For an "in demand" collector, I'd leave as much alone as possible. Normal metal care should not detract anything from value eg: clean and oiled.

If wood refinishing is absolutely necessary, I'd try to match the factory finish as closely as possible. Some of the older Diana's came with beautiful wood.

Back in the 80's I bought a Marlin 20-A pump rifle. It had been owned by someone in upper management at the old Winchester Canada plant, and it had gone through a thorough professional refinish at the old Cobourg plant. This pre-1920 gun has zero collector value due to the re-finishing, and not much shooter value as it pre-dates high velocity smokeless rim-fire ammunition. It's bolt lock will not stand up to the current rimfire ammunition now available....

As is, it's a beautiful looking piece, but not much more value than a man cave wall hanger....

I would maintain what I have to normal shooting condition for the time being, and make the shooter/collector decision later~ likely when I start selling them off :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 pm 

True collectibles do nothing to them AT ALL
If not really that desired as is then make em nice and shoot the crsp
Out of them

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:52 pm 

I recently purchased a Model 70 Winchester that was built in September of 1936, 5 months after Model 70 Winchesters were first manufactured. Due to the refinish of barrel and stock, it looked lovely, however had virtually zero collector value. S# 1830 go figure.
It shoots under 3/4" at 100 meters with 165's 180's and 200gr. Nosler partitions. It is now my favourite hunting rifle. I paid $500.00 for it. Eat your hearts out!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 pm 

I should have added had the restoration not been done, this was in VERY good condition actually, would easily have brought closer to $2,000.00, maybe more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:57 am 

Thanks for the replies.

This is my dilemma.. a couple are in I’d say good condition. Not excellent. If a gun is in good shape only and say worth 70% of what an excellent specimen is worth, at that point is restoration going to improve anything? Or does that now take a gun worth 70% down to 25% for example?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:31 am 

There's a point of balance in here somewhere~ Turnbull restorations command a right pretty penny....

I try very hard not to get into monetary values. My guns are very personal to me, and were bought solely with the purpose of shooting and hunting, rather than long term investments.

Being not into it for the money, I have a tendency to do as I please with what I have. Some will never be altered. Others require improvements, and I don't hesitate on something that will increase usefulness, and longetivity....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:03 am 

It would help to know which airguns you are dpeaking of.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:34 am 

Well, I’ve got a couple of Daisy Red Ryders one being the first year they were made. The other is only slightly newer. Not huge dollars but each worth a several hundred for sure.
I’ve got an older Weihrauch Barakuda EL54 on the way to me right now. In excellent shape these fetch a good dollar. It’s in “good” condition.
I’ve also got a couple of very old Sheridan blue streaks. Again both in probably “very good” condition.

All guns could use a once over. But this is where the fine line as Doc says seems to be.