Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Artemis M11 0.22
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:05 pm 

Hi everyone,

This is not an official review. I was doing some testing with M11 and found something interesting and wanted to share.

Barrel harmonics are making a big difference in POI and accuracy (somewhat) on this particular gun. I was shooting JSB 15.39 grains domed pellets. Out of every 15-20 shots, one will fly off 1" apart from the rest of the group randomly. Initially I thought it was just me. But then I was able to repeat the cycle a couple of times.

I decided to put a second barrel band on the gun about 5.25" from the front side of the air tube(from gauge). I was surprised by the two immediate effects of this -

1. My groups went 2" above from where they were before putting the barrel band. We are talking about only 20 yards away.

2. Group sizing was pretty much the same(some improvement). However, no more fliers. I shot 50 more pellets down range just to make sure and there were actually no more fliers at all.

This tells you how the barrel harmonics actually impact the accuracy and POI of a particular gun and ammo.

I am inclined to do another round of testing with something like a barrel de-resonator. Will post the results back when I get a hold of one of these things.

Take care.

Post subject: Re: Artemis M11 0.22
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:35 pm 

What is the barrel diameter on the m11? I have sourced carbon 3k tube that is a perfect slip on fit with cr600w's my end plan I will back to 1 barrel band but only at the end of the co2 tube. (with a custom stock). Should be an interesting experiment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:25 am 

Interesting that's for sure!
The barrel is wider than the CR600W, maybe Raman has the measurements handy, or I can get them tomorrow.
This second barrel band is something worth exploring. The slugs I was shooting, other than the 36.2gr were doing a similar thing..
Glad to hear you got 50 shots with no fliers!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:34 am 

Wes Raman; Thanks for the info. I wonder what would happen if you added a second band..especially on the 25 cal brian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:49 am 

I'll test it out as well. Today is a rainy day but hopefully tomorrow morning.
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:23 am 

I do not have a open 0.25 to test it out. So lets see if Wes can post back his findings.

Will check Barrel O/D shortly.

Interestingly, I came across a YouTube video showing how Stormrider rifle benefited from adding a second barrel band in exactly the same way as I found out on M11. As you know, CR600W, PR900, LR700, Diana Trailscout, Seneca Dragonfly etc are all exactly same design(except for power source) so I expect them to benefit from this configuration in the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8pl9iB0iU

I heard that the gentleman who recorded the video, passed away recently. May his soul Rest in Peace.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:01 am 

Attachment:
fd017662890dc8f783d22774f323f9de.jpg
fd017662890dc8f783d22774f323f9de.jpg [ 437.44 KiB | Viewed 1893 times ]
canadashootingsupply wrote:
I do not have a open 0.25 to test it out. So lets see if Wes can post back his findings.

Interestingly, I came across a YouTube video showing how Stormrider rifle benefited from adding a second barrel band in exactly the same way as I found out on M11. As you know, CR600W, PR900, LR700, Diana Trailscout, Seneca Dragonfly etc are all exactly same design(except for power source) so I expect them to benefit from this configuration in the same way.

A 2nd barrel band was the first mod I did to my cr600w definitely helps poi shifts and scope sighting in as minimizes barrel droop.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:29 pm 

walther wrote:
Attachment:

A 2nd barrel band was the first mod I did to my cr600w definitely helps poi shifts and scope sighting in as minimizes barrel droop.

Walther ;;Where did you get the second barrel band

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:24 pm 

Tallieho1 wrote:
walther wrote:
Attachment:

We have them - http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/dian ... -band.html

Wes might have a few as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:07 pm 

Tallieho1 wrote:
walther wrote:
Attachment:

Got it from Wes but Raman has them too. I also make custom bolt handles and muzzle brakes for them:)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:25 pm 

FYI - The M11 Barrel O/D measures around 14.96mm on Digital caliper.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:58 pm 

I found 15 mm ID carbon tube that might fit nicely. .04mm is pretty small. 1.5 thousands of a inch if my math is right.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:45 pm 

There is some interesting information in US patent 5,423,145.
Adding a weight in a specific location will work best for only one bullet (or pallet) size and the same fairing conditions. Switching to other size (and/or to other pressure) can have less pronounced effect, and under certain condition can make things even worse. Stretching the barrel can be more effective, especially with thin barrels, as in airguns. Plain wrapping in carbon fibre tube will not do that, you need to thread the muzzle and put the outer tube under compression by a nut, thus creating tension in the barrel. I did this at one time for a 22LR firearm using a thin wall, close fit steel tube and threading the tip of the barrel to M14x1 (standard muzzle-brake size). In some ways steel can better as it conducts heat better than carbon fibre tube and thin alloy tube is not that heavy. As well it matches the coefficient of thermal expansion of the barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:01 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8pl9iB0iU

I heard that the gentleman who recorded the video, passed away recently. May his soul Rest in Peace.
I got bogged down with orders this week (a good thing, not complaining!) but I am very much hoping to get out this weekend and do some testing. I'll try the second barrel band on my 25 cal and will post results.
Thanks,
Wes