Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:24 pm 

I am new to this but enjoy just chill in my back yard and shoot at targets. I have bought a benjamin classic .22 I am very disappointed with it at 10 meters. have taken it apart very disappointed with the quality. I have used this site to help me discover why it is so inconsistent. to get it to shoot properly I have to get a larger spring that fit it properly and then get a PAL. Which rifle that is a.22 will give me better accuracy gas co2 or springer any help would be helpful. Ijust want to shoot at my target and not wonder if it me or the rifle being inconsistent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:32 pm 

Welcome. The lads here can certainly help, however an introduction should have been made in that forum.
Much depends on the amount you can spend. Good quality, accurate springers will normally run from about $500.00 to
$1,000.00. The names Feinwerkbau and Weihrauch come to mind.

Normally, CO2 guns seem to be sub 500fps, however match rifles (.177 in CO2) are usually 550fps to 590fps which technically makes them firearms by definition.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:35 pm 

Well I don't want to be discouraging, but this isn't how it works.

Quote:
I have to get a larger spring that fit it properly and then get a PAL.

You need to get your PAL before you knowingly mod it with the longer spring. If not, you're in possession of a firearm without a license.

Anyhoo.. Spring airguns, or nitro piston, do require a special hold due to the dual recoil. So probably why you are not shooting all that great. They do take some practice to shoot accurately. So a C02 will be more accurate, overall.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:05 pm 

thank for the input I do not what a firearm type because I live in the city and target in the backyard. I am a millwright by trade can do mods. but to slow down fps I will have to get a chrono and play with bleed holes in piston to slow it down. To keep it legal.
My aim is not that bad gun has a little over 250 shots three shots are close grouping but when I hear a different noise ping shots jump about 2". I do not mind spending money for a better gun as long as it non PAL. I do not want to buy another boat anchor.
I purchased this Benjamin at ctc Aug. 28 2019 but have to send to Quebec. to be corrected with the same bad parts that it came with.
Which local dealer in GTA would I be able to purchase the name brands mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:40 pm 

Gun can be fixed with a little bit of time. Same as above, experiment with the proper hold and always shoot with your hands in the same spot. Try sleeving your spring, cleaning inside and regreasing with a short spacer to make smoother and closer to 500fps.

Found the gun in .22 shot around 430fps.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:44 pm 

Also found the biggest accuracy issue was the crappy unpredictable trigger.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 pm 

As finding the 'flier' ( maybe not that bad~) did come with a different sound from inside the gun, and you have the knowledge and equipment to check the gun, go try it~ cleaning, relube, moly, polishing... These all can help to give you a much smooth shooting cycle of the Benj classic .22 and the gun do have the potential to shoot well~

And didn't hear you mention the pellet you use... Some times it will play a good part to affect the accuracy...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:56 pm 

BIG B 1966 wrote:
.....I do not what a firearm type because I live in the city and target in the backyard. ......
Which local dealer in GTA would I be able to purchase the name brands mentioned.

It looks like you live in the GTA and are *planning* to shoot in your backyard. You need to be aware that shooting airguns in your backyard is probably (GTA residents can confirm) illegal because of municipal by-laws. Your shooting activities will need to be limited to indoors, basement, garage, attic etc. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:13 pm 

BIG B 1966 wrote:
thank for the input I do not what a firearm type because I live in the city and target in the backyard. I am a millwright by trade can do mods. but to slow down fps I will have to get a chrono and play with bleed holes in piston to slow it down. To keep it legal.
My aim is not that bad gun has a little over 250 shots three shots are close grouping but when I hear a different noise ping shots jump about 2". I do not mind spending money for a better gun as long as it non PAL. I do not want to buy another boat anchor.
I purchased this Benjamin at ctc Aug. 28 2019 but have to send to Quebec. to be corrected with the same bad parts that it came with.

Be aware that a full power spring will not make it shoot any better. It will make it recoil a little harder. Which may make it harder to shoot. Die to heavier spring. Stick with what's in it. You can polish the top hats, square up and polish the springs ends, do molly paste and make it shoot better.

The ping is the spring vibrating. Sleeving the spring. It can get rid of it.

Like others said. Look at your local by laws.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 pm 

Welcome to the forum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:30 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
BIG B 1966 wrote:
I am new to this but enjoy just chill in my back yard and shoot at targets. I have bought a benjamin classic .22 I am very disappointed with it at 10 meters. have taken it apart very disappointed with the quality. I have used this site to help me discover why it is so inconsistent. to get it to shoot properly Which rifle that is a.22 will give me better accuracy gas co2 or springer any help would be helpful. I just want to shoot at my target and not wonder if it me or the rifle being inconsistent.

Hey Big B, Welcome to the forum! I've owned one of these and it's a decent rifle for the money. However, being a break barrel design, you'll likely never be able to get consistent long range shots out of it -there is just too much play in the barrel alignment. Every time you cock the gun, the barrel will settle in a slightly different position, throwing out your aim.

One budget minded option would be to get yourself a QB78 Deluxe from AirGun Source for $180.00 -it will not cost very much, is quite accurate, Non PAL and will outperform your Classic any day of the week. CO2 cartridges are cheap if purchased in bulk. If you obtain your PAL in the future, the 78 can be modified to deliver higher velocities or to run on HPA. I'm getting velocities approaching 900 FPS on compressed air.

There are a number of very reasonably priced PCP rifles available as well, but you'd need to invest some serious $$ into HPA equipment beforehand.

Just another option worth consideration.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:29 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
BIG B 1966 wrote:
.....I do not what a firearm type because I live in the city and target in the backyard. ......

It looks like you live in the GTA and are *planning* to shoot in your backyard. You need to be aware that shooting airguns in your backyard is probably (GTA residents can confirm) illegal because of municipal by-laws. Your shooting activities will need to be limited to indoors, basement, garage, attic etc. :drinkers:
It's said within the city limit, no discharging of any guns ( except water guns). So actually we can't do that inside our house eithet... As we can grow some plants behind the public sights, if you didn't disturb your good neighbors and nobody call the police, nobody knows what you are doing... So just bewared and away from the public...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:03 pm 

BIG B 1966 - get one of these and you have one of the best springers going.

https://dlairgun.com/collections/weihra ... ucts/hw-98

This one might be better yet. I have both (firearms models), with the M97 KT in .177 cal.

https://dlairgun.com/collections/weihra ... 0117159996

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:42 pm 

Welcome to the CAF . One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is pellets used . I would suggest that you don’t throw in the towel just yet on your rifle . I use JSB pellets only after years of getting different qualities from other brands just not owning out . There is a link here on the home page for the forum store . I would suggest getting a sampler of .22 pellets in different weights to test . Next is to modify whatever you can to help with accuracy . Here’s a short list of google or forum searches that should get you going .
1-How to lube and tune airgun ( basics of tuning )
2- barrel crowning using screw method
3- crosman trigger mods
4- barrel block shimming ( to tighten up the pivot)
5- scope parallax setting ( this is to make sure your scope is set to the distance you shoot)
6- paint roller rest ( not a mod per say , great rest for a spring rifle )

For a sub 500 FPS rifle I would use wadcutters or dome pellets only in light weights between 11 and 14 grain . Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:10 pm 

Well, to answer your simple question, the Diana 24 is a nice little pea shooter and would definitely meet your needs.

Sometimes, air guns are just junk. I've had my share. May just want to start again.

But, I have a XL1100, which I no longer shoot, mine would clip the pellets as the barrel closed to lock position.

Load a pellet, close the action, break it open again to see in the pellet crushed. If your pressing the pellet in with your fingernail, you could be deforming it.