Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 am 

Hi All,

I am getting into (casual) bench shooting and am looking for a suitable scope. I was thinking about something in the 6-24 range and 50 or 56 mm objective.

I have a couple of Varmint and Vantage Hawke scopes on my hunting/plinking rifles and am generally pleased with them for that application but I need something with a higher resolution for 50 yard + shooting. I'll be mounting it on a .25 FX Royale 500.

I'm retired and on a limited budget so I have been looking at the 30 mm Hawke Sidewinder scopes. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, recommendations, cautions for scopes in that price range would be appreciated.

I looked at the Viper Pro 5-30x50 but it seems that it is heavy on the gimmicks and poor on optical quality - not much in the way of reviews in that scope. Anybody have one?

I'm looking for places to purchase as well - I've dealt with AGS, D&L and, when they were still around SSSO (I wonder what happened to them). I saw a reference to Wes in another post about scopes and would appreciate contact information.

Thanks in advance!
Hank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 am 

Pm sent =)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:49 pm 

I bought one of these from Wes. https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/vector-opti ... fle-scope/
It seems an excellent scope and I have it on my 6.5x55 Swedish Vargerger Sporter.
Lots of fun for shooting the 1,000 meter steel buffalo, bench and offhand.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:29 pm 

Thanks Daryl,

Looks interesting - Like the reticle, unfortunately out of stock at the moment!

Hank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:27 pm 

The reticle is on the first focal plane, thus on THIS scope, they are very fine indeed - perfect for really pin-point shooting. At 24X, there is only about 16 moa elevation stadia wires visible, however if you move it back to 16X, ALL 38moa of elevation just is stadia wires are visible.
Unlike my more expensive 4-16X Vortex Scope's 30MOA stadia wires, the Vector scope's 38MOA of stadia wires are ALWAYS MAO apart, due to first plane crosshairs. With the Vortex, the stadia wires are only MOA when at 16X adjustment. Due to the Vortex scope's 2nd focal plane retical, they are further apart at lower power settings. Too, the Vortex scopes moa stadia wires are not numbered.
The Vector scope's wires are numbered every 4 moa - every 2 lines, which makes moa reticle selection easier & faster to acquire. As well, it has more vertical lines out both sides of centre, for windage use. I like it a lot. Took some time to get used to it, but NICE! Spot an impact, hold that spot on the intended target for the second shot = positive hit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:33 pm 

Great mini-review. You should post it on his website.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:41 pm 

Good idea, Murray :) done.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:46 am 

Take a look at marstar canada, they had a good variety of scopes. If you order phone in just to make sure you have the appropriate hardware to install. I got a very nice utg with utg rings delivered for 250.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:22 pm 

Thanks Navy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:35 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
There are allot of good scopes out there in your price range. You might consider the Aztec Optics line at Air Gun Source as well. I own all three models and consider them one of the best bang-for-the-buck scopes in my collection. Bright, clear and side focus wheel included - ideal for bench rest / FT. Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:31 pm 

Thanks Avianmanor!

I ended up ordering a Sidewinder 30 6-24X56 SR Pro and BKL rings for the Royale but I will definitely check out the Aztec Optics for future consideration.

Nice variety of air guns BTW, noticed the HW100S - nice rifle, don't see many of them around. I like them very much! IMHO, they have best magazine system on the market - never had a misfeed or double feed in thousands of shots on either of mine.

Cheers,
Hank