Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:38 pm 

Hey guys,

A bit of a dilemma, I bought the Tyro youth crosman from princess auto on clearnance for $84 plus tax. It is a sub 500 gun. It’s pretty cheap feeling, but very light which is nice.

I was wanting to buy an all in one gun for me and my kids, something I can tune to 700-1000 when I am shooting it and then bring it back down to 500 for my kids. I found some interesting guns on used forum for around $100 that I was thinking I could just cut the stock down and then I would have the best of both worlds. Specifically a Crosman Phantom and Crosman Optimus.

Any advice? Should I just keep the tyro? The best part of it is it really is designed for small LOP and small hands, adult guns would have to be cut down, and also the palm swell would be further from the trigger, adult guns would also be heavier by 1-2 lbs.

Anyways just looking for advice, I usually shoot guns that are center fire and rim fire,, so the air gun would be for rodents and kids to use.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:54 am 

Personally I would just buy a gun for you, and a gun for them..

Because if you are keeping with a piston airgun, I don't think you want to be constantly taking it apart to swap out springs. To increase and decrease power, then adjusting the sights to comp for the velocity. You would need a C02 or a PCP air rifle. Something you can put a power adjuster on, and just adjust it that way. But still would need to adjust the sights constantly.

So not the best for "need it right then" pesting. So like I said, best to buy 2 guns.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:02 pm 

I concur with Leadslinger. You are looking for two different things here.

The Tyro is designed as a youth gun, so give it to your children (with adult supervision). And get the Phantom or Optimus for yourself. You will be glad you did. Also allows you to shoot with your children.

In six months to a year from now you will have more than two air rifles. Princess Auto is always clearing something out at a price that's "too good to resist",

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:16 pm 

okay thanks guys, I think I'll stick with the tyro for the kids. One thing that I did notice about it, is that the trigger is almost "too far forward" which causes the curve of the trigger to force the finger into the stock, is there any way to mod a trigger so I can move it more vertical (rearward)? I am not at all familiar with air guns so I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:53 pm 

Crosman always seems to find some top notch trigger to fit on their airguns.
All seem to be bad. Just shooting them lots seems to work best. Think it's just because you get used to them after many shots.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk