Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Why is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:17 pm 

Why is it that there way more options for replica guns in the airsoft version, than in the .177 steel BB or pellet version?

I really enjoy shooting & collecting vintage replica airguns like the new M1 carbine, as well as the MP 40, Mosin Nagant M1944, Uzi, etc. But there are way more options in the airsoft versions. The most mass produced rifle in the world, the AK 47, has many airsoft versions, but has never been mass produced in the .177 BB version (there was one limited edition version made with real AK parts that was not widely available in North America).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIDck1ornbk

It would be nice if we could buy replica AK 47 BB guns, with full auto like the DPMS or MP40. Also replica guns like the iconic Thompson sub-machine gun, WWII M3 Grease Gun, and British Sten gun, would be great sellers, if someone would bring them to market.

I think Crosman & others are doing a bang up job bring different version of the M-16/A4 to the market, but after the 3rd variation of the DPMS, isn't the idea starting to get a little tired?

What does everyone else think? And does anyone know where one could buy one of those Cybergun AK47's, in full auto, of course?

Post subject: Re: Why is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:32 pm 

Because the market for replica airguns/bb guns is smaller than airsoft.

Most airsoft fans like the realism to their simulated games. The focus is how real of copy of something it is rather than how it shoots. Also, airsoft attracts a younger crowd (ie. teens) that can't get the real gun.

For pellet and bb guns, we usually don't care for it to look like a replica of a powderburner, what's more important is function and how it shoots.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:33 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Why is it that there way more options for replica guns in the airsoft version, than in the .177 steel BB or pellet version?

I really enjoy shooting & collecting vintage replica airguns like the new M1 carbine, as well as the MP 40, Mosin Nagant M1944, Uzi, etc. But there are way more options in the airsoft versions. The most mass produced rifle in the world, the AK 47, has many airsoft versions, but has never been mass produced in the .177 BB version (there was one limited edition version made with real AK parts that was not widely available in North America).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIDck1ornbk

It would be nice if we could buy replica AK 47 BB guns, with full auto like the DPMS or MP40. Also replica guns like the iconic Thompson sub-machine gun, WWII M3 Grease Gun, and British Sten gun, would be great sellers, if someone would bring them to market.

I think Crosman & others are doing a bang up job bring different version of the M-16/A4 to the market, but after the 3rd variation of the DPMS, isn't the idea starting to get a little tired?

What does everyone else think? And does anyone know where one could buy one of those Cybergun AK47's, in full auto, of course?

I'm a collector too, I love my replicas. Airsoft never really appealed to me because the first ones I bought were mostly plastic but with what they have now...

If I had to start over today I'm not sure what I would do. Airsoft are great for handguns but AEG rifles? Not so sure.
I think airguns offer the best of both world, the only downside is less choice.

I'm with you, I have no idea what is taking so long to get AK's and a Thompson out. Maybe some kind of licensing thing?
Don't tell me the MP40 can't be made into a Thompson and the all those AR's can't be made into AK's? :shock:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 am 

While we're debating the 'why is it' that there are many airsoft choices offered on the market and we airgun people don't get the same offerings may have to do with the 'target' market (pun intended) from a business perspective.
I agree that most surely that airsoft appeals to a broader 'younger' crowd. They likely don't 'collect' as much as we airgunners tend to. But that is only a hypothesis. However I also believe that the realism aspect is their baseline for choosing airsoft.
I personaly witnessed a transaction going on in a 'tactical' outlet where a 'younger' guy was 'shopping' for a pistol. He started to look at a semi-automatic 'airsoft' pistol of the Walther P99 and was asking the sales person if it was accurate at X distance and could plink with it. The sales person directed the 'newbie' to the Umarex Walther CP99 that shoots .177 cal pellets. After seeing that this pistol uses a rotary mag and no blowback :shock: I heard him say…naw! I'll take the airsoft…it's much more realistic and I want that it looks like the side arm the Police had.
So this is right-on with what TriggerHappy416 claims.
I wish Umarex or KWC would come out with the iconic Browning Hi Power pistol. It has earned the title of the worlds most 'popular' hand gun. And of course...it is available in an airsoft version...but sadly not in .177 or 4.5mm caliber CO2. Would make a great 'Legends' item.

Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
CZ-200S lam. .177
Weihrauch HW50S Stl
Cometa Fusion .22
HatsanAT44&95 .22
FAS 6004T
Weihrauch HW44 .22
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:11 pm 

Well, I always told myself, that if they came out with a more realistic replica of the Colt Peacemaker in an BB gun, than the Daisy 179 or Crosman 44, I would buy it.

Well, it only took them around 35 years to do it, and I bought the Umarex Colt CO2 BB Peacemaker, John Wayne "Duke" edition from Ark Army Surplus. Loved it so much I bought another to have a matched set. They are about as realistic as you can get with the shell loading, and the attention to detail.

That got me back into collecting airguns. Bought too many to mention since then. Let's hope the people in the R&D departments at Umarex, Crosman, Air Venturi, Bear River & the rest, can keep coming out with new & exciting replica's.

Can't wait to see what's new at the next Shot Show, Jan 21-24 in Vegas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:02 pm 

I'm still not clear on the prohibited laws & how they do or do not pertain to air soft 'replica' guns.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:24 pm 

I went to an airsoft store last week looking for mock silencer to replace the goofy looking one on the Crosman Bushmaster MPW.

They also sell paintball and a little airgunning stuff (Crosman/Umarex).

I ask the clerk behind the counter what kind of accuracy they can get with an sniper type rifle... his reply? "At least 300ft" huh? :rolleyes:
The accuracy! How accurate is it? "oh super accurate, you could cut a cigarette in half at 200ft" Well I'd like to see that!!!
They're oblivious, they don't know litter. Only thing they know is it looks like the real thing.

I don't know why and I still haven't learned from this but I always expect the sales guys to know more than me about what they're selling and I'm always deceived when the guy doesn't know his right hand from his left one.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

Last edited by DocGadget on Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:41 pm 

Daryl, I don't think anyone actually understands the laws as they relate to replica airguns/airsoft.

That allows the RCMP & Chief Firearms officers to make up the rules as they go.

Clarity of the law would be nice. Is that too much to ask for?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:43 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
The accuracy! How accurate is it? "oh super accurate, you could cut a cigarette in half at 200ft" Well I'd like to see that!!!
I'm always deceived when the guy doesn't his right hand from his left one.

:hsmash LMAO.... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:09 pm 

Ace wrote:
DocGadget wrote:
I'm always deceived when the guy doesn't his right hand from his left one.

:hsmash LMAO.... :lol:

Yeah that's when I decided I had heard enough, turned around and left.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:16 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Well, I always told myself, that if they came out with a more realistic replica of the Colt Peacemaker in an BB gun, than the Daisy 179 or Crosman 44, I would buy it.

Well, it only took them around 35 years to do it, and I bought the Umarex Colt CO2 BB Peacemaker, John Wayne "Duke" edition from Ark Army Surplus. Loved it so much I bought another to have a matched set. They are about as realistic as you can get with the shell loading, and the attention to detail.

That got me back into collecting airguns. Bought too many to mention since then. Let's hope the people in the R&D departments at Umarex, Crosman, Air Venturi, Bear River & the rest, can keep coming out with new & exciting replica's.

Can't wait to see what's new at the next Shot Show, Jan 21-24 in Vegas.

The one that I'm waiting to see is the M1 Garand, but this will probably very expensive when it comes out if ever.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:45 pm 

Hi folks ,
I guess I should chime in. The Air soft world here in Canada is very Bad. I am trying to build the grand daddy of air Soft scrimmaging centers for years now . I spoke to the ETF officers the Sargent and head of their Tac. Response Cruzzer unit ect.. They were at my home a few weeks ago. They were canvasing the neighborhood, reports of gun fire.... someone behind the buildings near our street.
What the RCMP want is to let in only Air soft guns that shoot as close as possible to our Canadian legal limit! They don't even care for the red Tips as this may seem like a toy in court.
This is serious, that is the answer everyone is looking for. If an airsoft pistol shoots 490 fps with .20grams Plastic BBs . They are very cool with that. The Sargent has told us that the AirSoft injures are huge and no one realizes they get thrown out of court or don't ever make it to court because the AEGs, sniper rifles and pistols get about the same respect as a water squirt gun.
As for the accuracy, is so dam good I one hole at 10 yards every time with witness's from this forum. I used .36grains out of one of my sniper rifles. And all my airsoft pistols key hole every time. Amazing fun just like airguns...
Cheers,
Captain Air

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:34 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I think you will find that a lot of airsoft manufacturers are based in Asia. Very restrictive laws for even pellet/BB guns. Airsoft, by virtue of it's lower energy, are available to their citizens hence a greater variety .

The selection of 177/bb are produced for export to countries with less restrictive laws