Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: PCP rifle buying details
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:31 am 

Want to avoid these.
Well you needed that..
You must buy this fitting .this hose .
Got the wrong regulator on the bottle or on the gun.
When folks talk pcp. I think they got schooled on all of this..
I would like to get a scuba tank or buddy bottle.
Want to fill with hand pump .
Problem is ths more I read the more it sucks.. like corrosion where you can not prevent or avoid it without a source of dry air.
Just wondering how you all got around these issues and at what cost.
I'm 2 hrs from the closest dive shop.
Regards
Any help with getting going would be great.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:41 am 

Like all new things there is a bit of a learning curve with pcp. You need the pcp device, rifle or pistol, and a source to fill it. A pump. Can be a hand pump or motor driven. Hand pump requires effort but is manageable if you have time. Availability of personal use motor driven pcp pumps have greatly increased lately. $500 or so instead of thousands. Tanks are good if you have a source to fill it. The personal pcp pump is not a good choice there. Like all things maintenance is required. Mostly orings. I have never heard of a case of corrosion with pcp. That must of been one serious case of neglection.

IMO PCP's are the pinnacle of airgunning. Worthwhile if you can spare the budget.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 am 

Thanks .

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:46 am 

I have a very simple solution get a well made springer and all you'll ever need or worry about is your pellet of choice
case closed... :wink: :drinkers:

P.S. PCP's are also loud

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:47 am 

Quote:
I have never heard of a case of corrosion with pcp.

Corrosion can happen to any metal alloy in the right environment. Even stainless steel will corrode in the right circumstances. One of the fastest and nastiest ways to make your PCP corrode is to inject moisture into the air tube and have dissimilar metals in contact. I have seen it. And where to watch out is where your regulator is located. Regulators are often made of aluminum alloy and air tubes made of steel. The aluminum will loose the battle and corrode. Fortunately, the will lead to a leak rather than burst condition so there won't be an explosion. Otherwise, over time the PCP air tube if it just has moisture, can form pits. I have also seen these, and I don't believe they pose any danger to the strength of the tube, but corrosion debris can block up valves and seals so I hone the tube and put it back in action. The biggest problem for moisture and PCP seems to be the pump itself. It gets hot and the moisture accumulates inside the pump and that will cause corrosion and seals wont seal and your pump wont build pressure. So, mitigate all this by using an air dryer, at least on the inlet of the pump and preferable also one on the inlet of your gun filler. Dry air=no corrosion. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:25 am 

I started with a springer....like many people,,

Then i added few co2 airguns to my collection..

Then i added a pcp and a second pcp...

I prefer pcp... especially regulated pcp.

Because i often shoot in crawl position, springers are not convenient for me...

Nobody schooled me..i did few reading, watched few youtubes...then i just ordered online and i was lucky... i didn't get any compatibility issue..

The compressor came in a box with a hose and the right fitting (female quick connect). No assembly required.

The pcp rifle i ordered online had a plug (male quick connect)... so it's easy... the female goes on the male :)

When i ordered the pcp rifle i didn't even check what plug it had or what kind of fittings it needs to fill with air.. i just took a chance.

The second pcp airgun also came with a quick connect fitting... so again.. im able to use the same compressor, same hose, same everything.

I only have two pcp airguns.. both use quick connect system. My guess is that many of them do.

But for airtank i agree, you need to read more before buying... best is to buy a ready to use kit. But if you live 2h from the nearest diving shop...you may consider a small portable compressor. $600-700 cad

Remington Express Hunter break barrel
KWA QRF mod 3 Airsoft
G&G SMC9 Airsoft
Amoeba Striker 1 Airsoft
KJW 1911 Airsoft

GX CS3 air compressor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:14 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
Quote:
I have never heard of a case of corrosion with pcp.
I have seen it.

ok so now I sort of have. As you have stated even SS corrodes but I have not experienced this in person in respects to AGs. Perhaps it my normal shooting condition. Indoors, mostly environmentally controlled with a group all being very meticulous in care and maintenance. Never had issues with my PB gear which was fully exposed to the various Canadian elements and cared for very little but sure any tool can degenerate. Good to be made more aware, accountable. Thanks and cheers.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:51 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
... meticulous in care and maintenance. Never had issues with my PB gear which was fully exposed to the various Canadian elements and cared for very little but sure any tool can degenerate. Good to be made more aware, accountable. Thanks and cheers.

Yes true true. The thing is your maintenance regime for those pieces of equipment likely uses combustible oils, cleaners, and preservatives that are great for corrosion prevention. However, they are an explosion hazard for highly compressed air with oxygen present. So the inside of your air bottles, pressure tubes, etc subjected to 3000+ psi you better not have any combustible oil in there... or kaboom!
Anyhow, for the OP...just get a PCP, hand pump and air dryer - deal with maintenance as it arises. Although Ace is 100% correct about springers, PCPs do offer a different shooting experience that is very beautiful as well. I can't part with my Hatsan AT44 - I like it more than my HW97 which has had about 1 hr maintence in 10 yrs versus about 50 hrs on my Hatsan. And maybe about the same ratio of pumping time! :lol:

I just noticed my Avatar, there on the left, see which rifle I an holding....

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:27 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
I can't part with my Hatsan AT44 - I like it more than my HW97 which has had about 1 hr maintence in 10 yrs versus about 50 hrs on my Hatsan. And maybe about the same ratio of pumping time! :lol:

Blasphemy!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:45 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
I can't part with my Hatsan AT44 - I like it more than my HW97 which has had about 1 hr maintence in 10 yrs versus about 50 hrs on my Hatsan.

and that right there should be all you need to know.... :yawinkle:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:15 pm 

I got one with a hand pump from the same retailer so it would work. I dont worry about moisture because I don’t expect a problem in my lifetime.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:24 pm 

Thanks guys ..have many spring piston air rifles.
And the kral N-07 in .25 cal is very sensitive to hold and trigger pull. But the scope moved a few times before I got a good anchor. All good now.

Hw97k can shoot off the bags..lol

Just picked up a MX 5 in .25 cal.
Looking at a compressor and buddy bottle.
The hunt starts now.. lol

Someone shooting the mx5
https://youtu.be/QuVBryru9W8

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:17 pm 

Miscoubob wrote:
Thanks guys ..have many spring piston air rifles.
And the kral N-07 in .25 cal is very sensitive to hold and trigger pull. But the scope moved a few times before I got a good anchor. All good now.

Hw97k can shoot off the bags..lol

Just picked up a MX 5 in .25 cal.
Looking at a compressor and buddy bottle.
The hunt starts now.. lol

Someone shooting the mx5

Make sure you do the research and make sure the compressor will actually fill your buddy bottle.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:15 pm 

Miscoubob wrote:
Someone shooting the mx5

Some Scandinavian country, I think. What was the range? 25, 50, or 100M??
& from an almost machine rest.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:26 pm 

I know .
Wanted to know the range . I would say 50