Canadian Airgun Forum
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/

Muzzle Brake on Airgun
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic84668.html
Page 1 of 1

Author:  D_Rood [ Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Muzzle Brake on Airgun

New to Airguns and Rimfires
have a Ruger Airhawk missing factory sight
was thinking of machining a Muzzle Brake to finish off the barrel, mostly for appearance
so I was wondering does a muzzle brake serve much purpose on an airgun?
if so what do I need to consider when making my own?

Author:  Dukemeister [ Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muzzle Brake on Airgun

Muzzle brake has many benefits on an air rifle:
1. protects the crown from damage
2. Looks great
3. On a break barrel, provides a good grip for cocking
4. Looks great
5. Can positively affect barrel harmonics (presumably can also negatively affect same, but mostly positive).
6. And, lastly it looks great!

make sure it has a nice tight fit on the barrel and enjoy.

Author:  YepYep [ Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muzzle Brake on Airgun

Yes!

And by the way, it looks great~Image

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

Author:  GarthThomas [ Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muzzle Brake on Airgun

I put a plain steel muzzle brake on my springer and it helped a lot by helping keep the muzzle down. It sort of reduces the amount the barrel moves.

Author:  walther [ Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muzzle Brake on Airgun

GarthThomas wrote:
I put a plain steel muzzle brake on my springer and it helped a lot by helping keep the muzzle down. It sort of reduces the amount the barrel moves.

Good ol inertia..

Author:  D_Rood [ Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muzzle Brake on Airgun

So i guess i can just start drilling holes in any random place or plan out a pattern I like?
they don't need to be drilled at angles to direct air flow or anything?

Author:  Dukemeister [ Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muzzle Brake on Airgun

D_Rood wrote:
So i guess i can just start drilling holes in any random place or plan out a pattern I like?
they don't need to be drilled at angles to direct air flow or anything?

Nope, but holes can add to the aesthetics. As described a few times above, on a springer the muzzle brake is just a weight that changes the way the barrel vibrates when the gun if fired. Generally the extra weight will reduce the amplitude and frequency of the vibration and this can help with consistency of POI. However, you'd have to do a lot of trial and error to find the best weight distribution for your particular rifle, so just make what you like and stick it on there and if it looks good, keep it. :drinkers:

Author:  D_Rood [ Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muzzle Brake on Airgun

Dukemeister wrote:
D_Rood wrote:
So i guess i can just start drilling holes in any random place or plan out a pattern I like?
they don't need to be drilled at angles to direct air flow or anything?

Nope, but holes can add to the aesthetics. As described a few times above, on a springer the muzzle brake is just a weight that changes the way the barrel vibrates when the gun if fired. Generally the extra weight will reduce the amplitude and frequency of the vibration and this can help with consistency of POI. However, you'd have to do a lot of trial and error to find the best weight distribution for your particular rifle, so just make what you like and stick it on there and if it looks good, keep it. :drinkers:


this is precisely the response I was hoping for.
Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/