Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Not stirring the pot.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:58 pm 

I just want to know if break barrels(springers?) are considered as accurate as CO2 rifles.
The mechanism to lock the barrel in place on my Varmint looks solid enough.
Is it as accurate out of the box. Over time does the lock loosen?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:33 pm 

If one practices with a spring airgun. They can be just as accurate as any other power plant.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:33 pm 

Accuracy is not an absolute function of power source, so a blanket statement on accuracy of a break barrel springer vs a CO2 rifle is not reasonable.
In general, a fixed barrel rifle has fewer degrees of freedom than a break barrel rifle and ceteris paribus can give better accuracy than the same. However, the best break barrel rifles (such as HW95) would outshoot a typical CO2 rifle like a Artemis CR600W. Your own break barrel rifle, maybe not. HIH. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:56 pm 

Most people would find it easier to shoot a co2 gun accurately than a springer.
That is not a reflection on the gun but rather the shooter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:47 pm 

I eventually want a fixed barrel springer, for now I have the boring old crosman Optimus. I’ve finally found a pellet it likes and it’s somewhat consistent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:42 pm 

Due to CO2 guns' efficiency in cold weather and after fast multi shots, the co2 cools it down by itself, and non regulated, actually right now I found the co2 is not a very good power source of an air gun for accurate shooting purpose.

In the other hand, I am more and more impressed by the European mechanisms' quality and precision while I shoot more and more these guns... Like the German HWs... And you get what you pay for is true...

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:13 am 

Thanks folks,I get the picture now from a few different angles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:36 pm 

YepYep wrote:
the co2 cools it down by itself, and non regulated, actually right now I found the co2 is not a very good power source of an air gun for accurate shooting purpose.

I guess it depends which gun you tried and what you're trying to achieve
- I had a TAU7 air pistol... for all intent and purposes, it was pretty much as accurate as my Steyr. Only reason I switch is because I'm a gun-snob :wink: and enjoy nice things.

A guy at the club had a Walther CPM-1, nothing wrong with it, other than it's funky look

I had the chance to play with a Chinese QB78 and a Daisy Avanti... again, the CO2 power-plant didn't have any negative impact on the gun's accuracy.

-

This been said,
- if you're looking for something that shoots way above 500fps.
- If you like plinking outside in -20c temperature
CO2 is probably not the best option.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:41 pm 

My fixed barrel springer (HW97), out to 25yards, is just as accurate or more accurate than the CO2 match rifles in the club and is much more accurate than the
non match CO2 rifles in the club AND it is the P.A.L. model.
Again, thinking about the twin CO2 QB's I see at our range, in comparison to the HW80 springer, the accuracy at 20 yards is comparable, my rifle with iron sights against
the scope sighted QB's. It could be the scoped QB's were not shooting the most accurate pellets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:34 pm 

[quote="sillymike'']
- I had a TAU7 air pistol... for all intent and purposes, it was pretty much as accurate as my Steyr. Only reason I switch is because I'm a gun-snob :wink: and enjoy nice things.

This been said,
CO2 is probably not the best option.[/quote]

I knew someone will bring out a Tau7!!

I was really want one when I was looking for a serious accurate pistol... However, no luck in getting one but found a 46M~

I put my 2240 in chrony, if I didn't wait between shots, or maybe try to shoot faster, I can see the muzzle speed just keeps dropping and difference is so big.... I don't know how the Tau7 resolve this issue as I know between SSP and PSP, there was a period competitors used CO2 pistols....

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:53 am 

YepYep wrote:
[quote="sillymike'']

This been said,
CO2 is probably not the best option.[/quote]

I knew someone will bring out a Tau7!!

I was really want one when I was looking for a serious accurate pistol... However, no luck in getting one but found a 46M~

I put my 2240 in chrony, if I didn't wait between shots, or maybe try to shoot faster, I can see the muzzle speed just keeps dropping and difference is so big.... I don't know how the Tau7 resolve this issue as I know between SSP and PSP, there was a period competitors used CO2 pistols....

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk[/quote]

Nah not a fan of finicky kit.
I could have gotten an automatic BB gun but the guy
couldn't find the right cannisters and was using freon cans.
Yes just a tad bad for the environent and it froze BBs together causing jams.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:45 pm 

What I love about springers is the shot-to-shot consistency, even in cold weather. I do love my CO2 guns, but, if that tells you something, I have at least three times more springers than CO2 guns. IMHO, a springer is easier to maintain and repair, no leaks to fear, and cheaper to use. BUT, I wouldn't give my QBs and replicas up, too much fun :)