Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Diana 56th
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:05 pm 

Diana 56th
Anyone have one and how does it shoot ? Any problems?
Are they as good as AA 200 or HW 97

Post subject: Re: Diana 56th
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:16 pm 

I don't know from experience, but I did read a few reviews on it. Seems over powered for a target rifle. Probably badly needs an aftermarket tune kit or some custom work of sorts.
I wouldn't dare compare it to an AA or HW... I'd say it probably would take 3rd place out of the 3.
Hypothetically speaking anyway.
I definitely wouldn't pass on one if the right deal presented itself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:32 pm 

abslayer wrote:
    Diana 56th
    Anyone have one and how does it shoot ? Any problems?
    Are they as good as AA 200 or HW 97

Diana 56th "th" for thumb hole is that the one? I used to own the 56, 52 and still own the HW 97 with synthetic stock. Used to own the AirArms TX200 in carbine configuration 22 cal. as well.

Diana's (those made in Germany) for me, ranks third in terms of accuracy with HW97 1st, TX200 (I fitted with Vortek kit) 2nd, then the Diana's 56 and the 52. For finishing and looks, the TX goes first followed by the HW then the Dianas.

The 56 uses the rail system, built like a tank , very heavy yet recoil is more felt compared to the HW and TX. My HW stock, beats my then TX200 with the Vortek kit when I did a comparo .

Again, these are from personal experience owning the models and brands currently and before... I highly recommend either the HW or the TX if you are getting into springers. Also get the under lever cocking model instead of the barrel cocking ones.

Enjoy and good luck on the search!!

A

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:39 am 

I am a bit different than most forks
    I am leaving the world of PCP and going back to a springier
    I owned a AA S510 that shot like a dream
    And a HW 97 before that.
    But in the end I just got sick of always having to run back again and again to get air tank full.
    Worried about all the high PSI in fill air tank of over 4000 GOING boom , hauling all this stuff out hunting
    Just want to go back to a simple shooting experiences pellets in the pocked and a springier in my hand.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:46 am 

AA 200 or HW 97 are my first choices
    As i said I owned a HW 97 a few years back Was a great gun
    Asked About 56th because never owned one of them and was thinking of trying a AA 200 also

Sounds like you like HW97 as it seems the only one you still have LOL

Last edited by abslayer on Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:55 am 

Some truths are self evident. I've read hundreds of posts on the HW97 and the AA Tx200. My conclusion is they are the same only different. Generally, those that love their TX200 over their HW97 say the TX200 is the better gun, and of course vice versa. But, in a totally non quantifiable way I believe the latter are in the majority.
    Readers Digest version... get a HW97.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:17 am 

Is it true the TX200 only has a 10" barrel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:32 am 

WHAT ABOUT THE 56 Diana Diana 56 TH .22 Cal RECOILESS SLIDE SYSTEM ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:13 pm 

abslayer wrote:
    Is it true the TX200 only has a 10" barrel

Probably, it's true of the HW97K.. It's all you need for a 12 ft lb (or under) springer. Longer barrel adds friction and slows down muzzle velocity. Opposite effect on PCP and CO2 guns. If you go back to the good old Cardews' work on springers (they operated in the 400-600 fps range), all you need was 6" to get max power out @400fps.' Even if you scale it up to 600 fps maybe 8" would be all that's needed, anyhow 10" is typically the length used. Everything after that is unrifled and oversized. Makes it impossible to recrown a HW97..and unless you ram sometin down the muzzle - not likely to ever need to be re crowned. Hint down be pushing things down the muzzle.

Attachments:
    Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg [ 278.16 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
    Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg [ 169.71 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:36 pm 

Hmmm interesting
    What is the green and yellow flag stand for in your profile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:26 pm 

I had a Diana 54, which is the 56 with a plain stock. I did not like the gun at all and sold it fairly quickly. I have two TX200 carbine rifles and really like them. The barrel length is just under 10" and it is all that is needed for 10-13 ft/lb.

Some friends of mine involved in field target shoot the 97 and do very well. It would be ideal if you could attend an event where both guns are there and folks would be willing to let you try them. You will probably instantly like one or the other and you cannot go wrong either way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:29 pm 

That flag is the Jamaican Flag:-
    These stood for the difficulties faced by the nation (black), its natural wealth and the beauty of its sunlight (yellow), and agriculture and hope (green).
    I also believe that it's the only national flag that does not have ant red, white or blue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:34 pm 

Had a 177 56, powerplant is overpowered for that cal so moved on from that. Have a 22 54, better shot cycle! So right off the bat, good you're inclined to the 22 cal version. From a strictly target shooting perspective, I'd recommend staying with the 97 or TX. The sled system REALLY is QC dependant. If the tolerances aren't tight, you can't get your groups below a certain baseline. There's an American tuner who accurizes his sled Dianas to shoot 3/8" at 40 yards! The potential is definitely there but again, QC issues. When I got my 54, the action was rubbing against the stock during the shot cycle (saw wood dust developing at the contact points). Had to grind out the stock a bit so the action moves freely. Not really something we should be doing considering what Diana charges for these. But after that groups tightened up. After smoothing that out, my 54 would consistently outgroup my 460. After detuning my 460 to about 17-18 fpe, they group about equal. About an inch to inch and a half at 50 meters depending on wind. BUT, you're really, really, really at the mercy of that sled. There are days I'm on form and the slightly detuned 460 will outgroup the 54 and when I'm not, the 54 outgroups the 460. Neither outgroups my sub12 guns except on windy days where the 54 slinging jsb heavies has the advantage. The 54 has never produced dimes even on calm days. There have been many times where a 5 shot group has 3 or 4 cloverleafing but then a shot or two ruins it. The sub12 springers have produced dimes many times when the wind is calm. There's this UK benchrest shooter producing amazing groups with his 56 but a lot of work was put into that gun. But his TX groups aren't really that far off though. In fairness, that could also be because they're shooting lower powered guns there. Again, you really are at the mercy of the tolerances of that sled.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:34 pm 

Sorry, I have no experience with the Diana 56. I have shot a 48 in .22, that seemed fairly accurate at 20yards - roughly 1".

I have read somewhere that the actual barrel length on the HW97's in 9".
    My .177 shoots 7.93gr. pellets at 895fps for 14.1fpe.
    8.44gr. JSB 4.51mm run 872fps for 14.25fpe
    It shoots like a match rifle, accuracy wise & out to 20 yards, just about as good as about any
    PPC. My best group so far at 18 yds. (indoors), wouldn't hold a .177 pellet on the 10 meter target's
    hole, 5 shots at 18yards. Many other groups are under .2" centre to centre.
    I've shot the TX200 and it was a very nice high quality rifle. I just prefer the HW to the point
    that I also bought one in .22.

My HW97 in .22 averaged 701fps with 14.43gr. Crossman Hp's for 15.7fpe.
    It ran 14.66gr. Field Targets at 696fps for 15.7fpe.
    It's best accuracy at 44yards was with Hades 15.89gr. but I did not chronograph those.
    It also likes the 18.21gr. Barraduda Hunter HP's. No further data on those, either.
    Groups with the H&N's ran dime & nickle size at that range, and roughly 1/4" for the JSB Hades.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:28 pm 

Hmm I guess i am back to TX200 or HM 97 Hmm what to buy :?
    Hmm .22 or 1.77
    Had a HW97 in 1.77 5 years ago shot great 1/2" 20 yards no problem sellers remorse on that one , hope that does not happen on selling my AA S 510
    Hmm something new Hmm thinking TX200 HC .22
    Shorter riffle
    As I recall length of my HW 97 was longggggg did not like that
    Hell I do not know!!!
    I will take my time hell this is the fun part of picking a new gun
    Then on to bigger problem WHAT scope FFP or -------