Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: PCP possibility
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:12 pm 

greetings

been thinking about getting a pcp rifle lately, i did consider it years ago but found the price quite prohibitive so i just invested in higher end springers instead

now here i am considering it again and it seems that market has changed somewhat, i'm not really interested in spending a 1000 $ with all the accessories and stuff, more like 500 $ + tax, so that would be rifle(PAL rated) and manual pump.

i've been looking at the stormrider in 177, regulated and a manual pump to go with, seems that would go in my price range, i'm sure there are other possibilities that i'm not aware of at the moment, that is why i'm looking to get advice from experienced users, and also where i could get one, thanks

p.s. a good trigger and accuracy is what i like

Post subject: Re: PCP possibility
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:58 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hello robipaul,

Check out this recent topic: topic85549.html

The M11 MKII will probably get you a little more for your money if you can settle on .22 calibre. Any particular reason why you're looking at .177? I own the Artemis but not a Stormrider, which I understand is also a good value PCP.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:06 pm 

thanks Avianmanor

guess i settled that argument with myself quite some years ago, i favor 177 as i do nothing more than target shooting, .22 never really appealed to me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:32 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hey robipaul,

For what it’s worth, bench top FT is all I do with my rifles as well, and I personally get better results with .22.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 pm 

robipaul wrote:
greetings

been thinking about getting a pcp rifle lately, i did consider it years ago but found the price quite prohibitive so i just invested in higher end springers instead

now here i am considering it again and it seems that market has changed somewhat, i'm not really interested in spending a 1000 $ with all the accessories and stuff, more like 500 $ + tax, so that would be rifle(PAL rated) and manual pump.

i've been looking at the stormrider in 177, regulated and a manual pump to go with, seems that would go in my price range, i'm sure there are other possibilities that i'm not aware of at the moment, that is why i'm looking to get advice from experienced users, and also where i could get one, thanks

p.s. a good trigger and accuracy is what i like

Skip the pump and go with a tank. Pumping your gun up is a PITA! When I bought my first PCP, I bought a pump and gradually realised that I wasn't shooting it as much I wanted/could. I could do 4 mags (40 shots) with one fill, the most I would do was 80 shots.
Do you like multi pumps? Pumping 8 times to fire one shot... I don't. That's what I like so much with springers.
With a tank, you can shoot all afternoon, until your tank is empty and 5$ at most paintball or airsoft field later and you're good to go!

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:43 pm 

That is a good point. As long as you live near a paintball or scuba business. Or buy a big tank that only needs filling very seldom.
If all you can afford is a hand pump though, the Stormrider is about the best gun you can get, along with the Beeman Chief and the Benjamin Maximus. Nice and easy to fill.
If you do decide to get a tank make sure it DOT approved or you'll be disappointed going to the shop to get it filled and they reject it.
The good deals on eBay, aliexpress etc are CE approved, good for Europe but not approved for North America.
Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:30 am 

The stormrider is a nice light, little gun.trigger is pretty good and is adjustable.I have the .22 version.If I use JSB pellets I hit bottle caps 7 out of 7 times at 34 yards.It takes about 100 strokes on a hand pump to fill and that gets about 60 very consistent shots,.Overall I am very happy with mine.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:41 am 

I'm on the hunt now for a top end PCP, however a few years back I was doing what you are right now. I went through a couple but I can say one thing with confidence - the Benjamin Discovery (mine was in .22) was an amazing value.

Understand that an unregulated air gun is going to have a shot curve - that means that its going to start a little lower (say 800fps) on a full tank, as the tank 'settles' allowing the valve to fully open, you may get as much as 60 fps more. Then, as it starts to get to the end of the usable air volume your fps will drop down below 800. Pellet weight and hammer spring tension are about the only thing you have to tweak here (fill volume to so you start at the top of your curve, but get fewer shots)

This most certainly affects your point of impact. I was able to at 25 and 50 yards, after shooting several tanks of air, get used to this change and just hold over or under a smidge for it. You will to.

A regulated tank 100% relieves these issues. I do think there are after market regulators, but playing around with air guns can be tedious. A leak can drive you crazy trying to figure out where!

Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:49 am 

I was in same boat as you enjoying Springer's and I went with QB Chief and a hand pump for a change. Gun is 2000psi. 50 pumps to get from 1200psi to 2000psi for 20 good shots. Was going to get a new scuba tank but they only fill to 3000psi. So I would have 1000 usable pounds. Get a 3000psi gun and you would have even less usable air. Usually don't feel like hand pumping a second time or to tired to shoot. Not bad to hand pump but after a couple months I rarely shoot it anymore and have gone back to my springers. But QB Chief and a couple Springer's are a little to powerful to shoot in the house as only can use one target instead of the 10 or 12 setup with under 600- 700fps guns. But I am a Springer guy at heart and like the simplicity of shooting. So hang on to a couple good springers. I got the Hatsan MOD 95 in .177. Hatsons shoot advertised speeds with normal lead pellets. This gun is amazing in speed and accuracy. Good luck with your venture. I am 60 years young but pretty active still. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:08 am 

https://youtu.be/GcsaW-UevpA