Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:30 pm 

I was re-reading the manual for my HW45 and saw an "important notice" i must have missed the first time:

"Please ensure your gun is always placed in a plastic sleeve before packing it in a foam lined gun case. The foam lining in a case may react with any of the metal surfaces on this weapon."

Until recently i have kept my HW45 and my CP88 Competition in soft bags, but i purchased 2 hard cases last week for extra protection. Anyone have any experiences with foam reacting with metal guns? I dont want to harm either of these nice pistols when keeping them in a lockable hard case.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:33 pm 

Basically the foam padding can trap in moisture, and it can cause the guns to rust.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:38 pm 

The general consensus is to avoid direct contact between steel and foam to avoid rust.
topic59208.html

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:17 pm 

I only had mine locked in a case, due to "other" reasons.

I'll be putting them back on the pegboard shortly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:13 pm 

Interesting , never heard of that before . My cz75 has been in the same foam case for 30yrs.. no rust , but i always wiped it down before replacing .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 pm 

walther wrote:
Interesting , never heard of that before . My cz75 has been in the same foam case for 30yrs.. no rust , but i always wiped it down before replacing .

I don't think they can.. Mines missing finish off in areas and never rusted.

But airguns do have weaker finishes on them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
walther wrote:

I don't think they can.. Mines missing finish off in areas and never rusted.

But airguns do have weaker finishes on them.

Mine had that thick baked on finish , which I removed and had it bead blasted after it had bomar sights milled into the slide and a few other things done for IPSC competition. Czech use some very hard custom alloys , gunsmith said it took for ever to mill the slot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm 

Did an experiment when I read the post... Yesterday my basement was 15 degree and 40% humility and I put my small gauge into the foam filled hard case for my HW45... And just opened the case and took it out. It showed 14. 5 degree and 42% humility. BUT, that doesn't means the foam absorbed some moisture because when the gauge was put back on the wall, in just 5 minutes, the humility reading increased to 45%, temperature to 15.1 degree C...

I think in general, the case is providing some kind of sealing and if the gun was dried when putting into the case, and the environment is also not too wet, the foam is not doing bad to the gun by attract the moisture from the air into the case...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Did an experiment when I read the post... Yesterday my basement was 15 degree and 40% humility and I put my small gauge into the foam filled hard case for my HW45... And just opened the case and took it out. It showed 14. 5 degree and 42% humility. BUT, that doesn't means the foam absorbed some moisture because when the gauge was put back on the wall, in just 5 minutes, the humility reading increased to 45%, temperature to 15.1 degree C...

I think in general, the case is providing some kind of sealing and if the gun was dried when putting into the case, and the environment is also not too wet, the foam is not doing bad to the gun by attract the moisture from the air into the case...

That is fine if you're shooting indoors, and in a climate control environment. Everybody experience may differ.

But being that I live in a more humid area, my Co2 and PCP guns sweat like crazy from the condensation, also when I got outside, or in the garage. And if I put them back in the case, the foam is bound to soak up the moisture. Also the foam cases can also soak up the oils off the gun, because metal can sweat, leaving it without protection. Walter example isn't a good example, because his gun cannot rust ( I know because mines missing finish doesn't )

And naturally people never actually fully dry out their foam in their gun cases.

You'll always hear people going on about their truck gun rusting. From the heat and cold..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:59 pm 

I oiled them everytime before putting them back in the case. I guess the foam as soaked up enough oil to not make my guns rust?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:32 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
I guess the foam as soaked up enough oil to not make my guns rust?

I think it soaked up enough oil that next time you don't need to oil the gun again and it will do that for you~ [emoji38]

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:58 am 

I've not had an issue other than my polished ones oxidising but that's to be expected. I also keep silica packets in with each one so maybe that helps. You know the little ones that come in everything and say do not eat, throw away? I don't eat them, but I don't throw them away either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:51 pm 

I don't store any guns in cases, however my handguns are in their own wooden boxes. The relative humidity is in the 35% to 40's range in the house.
Our yearly average is about 50% and it's way up at 85% in a downpour. I still don't store guns in cases. I do use cases for transporting them to the range, just in case
I stop at at Timmy's on the way home. Someone looking into my truck will never see a rifle. Thus, I have 3 cases, one of which holds 2 scoped rifles - all I need.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:52 am 

Well I just checked the case my airguns are temporary stored in, and I had rust on my HW 45 barrel.

Spring airguns create moisture/condensation because the forward slamming of the piston, creates heat as the air compresses. Similar operations of a diesel engine. That why petroleum oils in the chamber is an no no.

And the foam soaks up that moisture, and because cases are closed normally. They're not able to fully dry.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:56 am 

Toss in a few Silica gel packets.
Problem solved.