Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:24 pm 

Some people (experts?) say that an underlever (or sidelever) pellet rifle will be more accurate than a break barrel, as the barrel & sights move, and may not go back to the exact same place, giving inaccuracy in the shot. Where as the barrel is fixed on an underlever.

What do others think?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm 

Technically speaking I think that's correct...

To my experience, my old FWB300 (side lever) and the new Pro Sport (under lever) seems accurater than my break barrels (HW30 and HW35), maybe just tiny slightly that might not noticeable as I am shooting at a very close range of 9 yards.... :eek:

And it looks not an apple to apple comparison as you won't find cheap or lower grade sidelever and underlever rifles. And those nice under/side lever rifles may use better barrels, has better triggers, and better designs etc makes it a better gun...

They just have different purpose (and price tag) to meet different demands...

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm 

I think that fixed barrel has fewer degrees of freedom than break barrel and is therefore inherently more precise. BUT ... <edit> give me a HW95 any day over a Chinese B3 or a QB88 and the 95 it will out perform the underlever or sidecocker. Heck, even add the QB78 to the list - a high quality break barrel will outperform a sloppy fixed barrel. I believe this was recently taken up on the forum, and there was very high praise for the HW98 in comparison to the HW97/TX200 types. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

Air guns? I have a few; but then again, too few to mention.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm 

Yeah... In general, basically what you paid is what you get~

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:20 pm 

My HW97's are more accurate than my HW98 was, but a small amount, 3/8" to 1/2" or so in group size, at distances past 25yards.
The guy who now owns my HW98 is quite happy with it's accuracy. Nice rifle.

Attachments:
HW 97s resized2.jpg
HW 97s resized2.jpg [ 428.44 KiB | Viewed 283 times ]
005-1_zpsd31df6f5.jpg
005-1_zpsd31df6f5.jpg [ 53.13 KiB | Viewed 283 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:53 pm 

I think you have to compare equal quality as Daryl did. I agree that with equal quality, generally the under and side levers with outperform the break barrels. What people choose for FT guns lends weight to that argument. FT guys generally use TX200s, HW97/77 and now the Walther LGU as their base gun. Pretty well all of these guns are modified to suite each individual. The Diana 54 is also being used in highly modified forms.

Hunting would be different as many like the weight and ease of loading that comes with the break barrel.

Comparing a B3 or QB 88 to an HW95 or 98 is not a fair comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:56 pm 

generally speaking it is, but there are a lot more factors to consider...

a good quality barrel joint that you would find on a german break barrel or perhaps the one found on the ASP 20 would do just as good IMO, check out VermintHunters tv on youtube and see what he does at 33 yards with a tuned Diana 34, i could only dream doing that with my HW97, in fact i get better groups with my 34 for other reasons than the barrel configuration, its a matter of context

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:24 pm 

There is context to consider, but I thought the OP was interested in inherent accuracy. An HW 98, certainly a quality lockup break barrel, and an HW97, a quality under lever, probably have the same barrel. On one, the barrel is completely fixed and the other unlocks and re-locks with every shot. Just knowing that, which one would you bet on?

Not trying to criticize or make anyone angry, but in my experience, if an HW97 is not grouping, almost all of the time, it is not the gun. Any gun can be a lemon, but all the guys I know with 97s and TX200s claim the gun is spot on if they do their part. Some also do not do the work necessary to select the right pellet for their gun. This is not a gun issue.

I hunted with a Diana 34 for many years and later switched to an HW break barrel, so I am aware of their accuracy. I have now been shooting FT for 21 years, so that little difference in accuracy that Daryl mentioned is worth a handful of shots per match. That is usually the difference between winning or losing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:56 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
I think that fixed barrel has fewer degrees of freedom than break barrel and is therefore inherently more precise. BUT ... <edit> give me a HW95 any day over a Chinese B3 or a QB88 and the 95 it will out perform the underlever or sidecocker. Heck, even add the QB78 to the list - a high quality break barrel will outperform a sloppy fixed barrel. I believe this was recently taken up on the forum, and there was very high praise for the HW98 in comparison to the HW97/TX200 types. :drinkers:

Well that comparing a Lada with a BMW. Why is it even a comparison? Why not say Diana 48/52 VS HW95? Why immediate crap on 100$ airguns? Personally I like my QB 88 over my Crosman break barrel. It's nicer looking and I like the action on it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:30 pm 
Supporting Members

Like already stated it depends on the gun........both of my HW are tack drivers.

Attachments:
Notec3.jpg
Notec3.jpg [ 134.09 KiB | Viewed 240 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:42 pm 

Had both 97 and 98 and I could not shoot the 98 as well as the 97, so I sold it, I wish I could have shot that gun because I loved it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:32 am 

Mac wrote:
There is context to consider, but I thought the OP was interested in inherent accuracy. An HW 98, certainly a quality lockup break barrel, and an HW97, a quality under lever, probably have the same barrel. On one, the barrel is completely fixed and the other unlocks and re-locks with every shot. Just knowing that, which one would you bet on?

Not trying to criticize or make anyone angry, but in my experience, if an HW97 is not grouping, almost all of the time, it is not the gun. Any gun can be a lemon, but all the guys I know with 97s and TX200s claim the gun is spot on if they do their part. Some also do not do the work necessary to select the right pellet for their gun. This is not a gun issue.

I hunted with a Diana 34 for many years and later switched to an HW break barrel, so I am aware of their accuracy. I have now been shooting FT for 21 years, so that little difference in accuracy that Daryl mentioned is worth a handful of shots per match. That is usually the difference between winning or losing.

yup agreed, that's why i answered that generally they are, was pointing out that's its not the only factor, if i was to target shoot in competitions, i would put in the practice time with my 97 in a way that i could do better than what i can with the 34, so in that context; putting every factor to my advantage would include that fixed barrel accuracy :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:02 am 

I would still say a fixed barrel would be more accurate over time. Because metal fatigue of you slapping the barrel, pulling down and cocking it, and it bending slightly each time, when it stops.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:25 pm 

If you are using open sights, it's kind of moot point.

Using scope, than the fix barrel would have a "mechanical" advantage.
Some break-barrel have (or used to have) side locking mechanism to help mitigate the wear/tear/slack.
- Most quality break barrel ought to have a way to adjust the side tension and keep it within spec.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:51 pm 

sillymike wrote:
If you are using open sights, it's kind of moot point.

Using scope, than the fix barrel would have a "mechanical" advantage.
Some break-barrel have (or used to have) side locking mechanism to help mitigate the wear/tear/slack.
- Most quality break barrel ought to have a way to adjust the side tension and keep it within spec.

The mechanical advantage, gives the potential for better accuracy from a fixed barrel design. After that, quality of the parts and manufacturing enters the equation.
When I was a little kid, I shot a lot of "game" with a Slavia .177 break barrel rifle. Back then, I thought it was very accurate & yes, over time, the barrel did bend down
a bit, but by then, I didn't need the sights as they had long-since disappeared. Twice, my Dad replaced the leather 'washer' with a new one, restoring it's power. Within the
ranges we were shooting, we didn't need sights. That used to freak out my dad and my uncle. We (my bro and I) could hit beer bottle caps set on the barn's window ledge
from about 10 to 15 yards, and they could not. My mom and Aunt just laughed.
So yeah, there can be joy even in the lower powered, inexpensive rifles - for plinking.