Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: How to get accuracy?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:44 am 

I'm not new to shooting but am just getting back in to airguns. Mainly for hitting paper and cans, but planning for a for a few pests here and there (mice, squirrels).

I've set up a little range to frig around with over the winter. Also picked up a couple airguns and had a few friends bring their's over. The only gun with any accuracy is the oldest and most beat up. An American Classic 1377. Fully pitted, was left outside for over a year, crudely painted, and doesn't have much power. I pumped it 15 times and it hit the cardboard with less force than the single cocking Red Ryder. But this thing is accurate. I put 20 shots inside an inch circle at about 30ft. Not impressive for most people, but.. there are several brand new airguns here that can't hit the bullseye at all. Crosman Fire and F11 are the two nicest (I know they're low grade, but figured good enough for in the shed). They both have slightly better scopes than what they came with. Both can't be sighted in as there's too many fliers. Sure they'll hit a pop or soup can every time, but when we get down to cigarettes or other small targets they really have a hard time. Shooting from a table top rest so sway isn't the problem. Have a few different types of pellets ordered so going to see if the issue is with the Crosman ammos.

Anyone have tips specific for airgun marksmanship, that would be different from shooting regular guns?

Post subject: Re: How to get accuracy?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:03 am 

Spring Airguns are tricky to shoot accurately.

Search the Arty hold, there are many threads on shooting spring airguns accurately. You cannot shoot them, like a Firearm. That is the biggest thing people fail to realize. Like I can shoot a Cooey and and get a 1/2" group with a flier ( taking out the flier be under 3/8" ) at 25M. My Summit Ranger, I'm lucky to see 1.5" at 20M.

So you need to master the grip, in order to see any accuracy from them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:42 am 

CaperJim wrote:
Crosman Fire and F11 are the two nicest (I know they're low grade, but figured good enough for in the shed). They both have slightly better scopes than what they came with. Both can't be sighted in as there's too many fliers. Sure they'll hit a pop or soup can every time, but when we get down to cigarettes or other small targets they really have a hard time.

I’m surprised you’re not getting better accuracy than that with the F11. I bought mine this spring and all I did was to replace the piston with a shorter one and the bearing trigger mod. I’ve mounted a red dot on it and it shoots 16gr pellets in the mid 600s. I usually shoot using a sandbag or standing leaning on a tree, and all the squirrels I downed were clean headshots within 25 yards.

Attachments:
49CE3728-9293-4596-85D9-954D0E35AFE9.jpeg
49CE3728-9293-4596-85D9-954D0E35AFE9.jpeg [ 241.29 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]
50AC7FDD-84C9-402E-97F6-E33823B9279F.jpeg
50AC7FDD-84C9-402E-97F6-E33823B9279F.jpeg [ 199.67 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]

Diana Outlaw.177
Kral Bighorn .30
Daystate Harrier .22
Benjamin Marauder .22

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:03 am 

I heard that some times the lower grade guns, especially the new one came off the production line and you are the first owner, you should take a look and check the barrel by pushing through a pellet to see if any tight spots or loose spots, and then take a look at the muzzle with a Q-tip to see if the crowning is good enough... And some times a few polishing here and there would make a good difference too. And for a new gun, usually there's a break in period of about a few hundred shots to breakin the parts and lead up the rifling etc...

HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:43 am 

YepYep wrote:
I heard that some times the lower grade guns, especially the new one came off the production line and you are the first owner, you should take a look and check the barrel by pushing through a pellet to see if any tight spots or loose spots, and then take a look at the muzzle with a Q-tip to see if the crowning is good enough... And some times a few polishing here and there would make a good difference too. And for a new gun, usually there's a break in period of about a few hundred shots to breakin the parts and lead up the rifling etc...

I had a umarex surge that I had troubles getting any sort of group. I discovered a tight spot early mid-barrel. I sanded that as even as I could, recrowned for good measure, and the accuracy dramatically improved. From +3" down to 1/4". Not bad for a cheap 34 clone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:20 am 

I find springers much more pellet picky than pumpers. Try some good quality pellets from JSB or H&N. You might be pleasantly surprised. Besides trying different types of pellets, check to ensure your stock screws are tight, and that the barrel hinge is adjusted to give a consistent lockup and orientation of the barrel with the compression tube. Use your open sights rather than your scope for a few targets. If the flyers disappear, the problem is probably your lockup, assuming your scope is not pooched. If the flyers disappear and the lockup seems OK, try another scope. When a scope starts to fail, it often throws fliers before it totally falls apart.
Next time you shoot your break barrels, lay a single sheet of toilet paper over the breach then fire the gun. If it just slides off, your breach seal is OK. If it flies off to parts unknown, you have a leaky breach seal which can be fixed by shimming the seal with a shim or a few wraps of dental floss. Lots of how-to threads on this site regarding fixing a leaky breach seal. A leaky breach seal can cause fliers too.
Good luck!

Too soon old too late smart.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:22 pm 

Talking about the 'tissue experiment ', when I did that I actually found nothing about how it should looks like and what result I was looking for...

And in a later time I found out my guns were not leaking at all, and if there's a leak, the tissue will be blown away and not just falling down which should due to the vibrations of the gun when firing... Just a reference...

HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:53 pm 

YepYep wrote:

I got pictures of doozies crowns, that still shot accurately.

Both the barrels for the PP700SA were awful.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:39 pm 

I have an F11. I was worried in the beginning but after 150 shots or so I can now get pellets touching each other. I shoot 30 feet indoors. Mine is non pal .22. I don't suspect the gun, as a Nitro Piston is mostly like a Springer shooting wise and they are more difficult to master. Pumps, CO2 and PCP's are much easier without the recoil. Slow steady pull on the F11 trigger and it goes where you want it. I got rid of my fliers when I realised I was pulling trigger to fast. Only my third day with the F11. If yours is over 500FPS it becomes even more difficult to master. Trigger time is the only thing that works. Don't by into the "not the right pellet crap" Every pellet almost shoots good at short distance. At least I never found much of a difference.

wind, air pressure, Temperature again changes things. With all due respect, I do not think it is the F11. $300 is not a cheapie gun. Weed out the super tech **** you hear here and keep it simple. Once you master Springer's and Nitro Pistons and you go back to powder burners you will be amazed how much improved you will be. :) :)

CHEERS! and good luck