Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:53 pm 

*Keep in mind the following comments are regarding Canadian air guns, which means no silencers of any type.

I’ve seen a lot of discussions talking about quiet air rifles and the comparison of PCP’s and Springers. From what I read, all PCP’s will be louder than Springers. My question is, has anyone actual done a clear sound comparison of different air rifles. If ratings are identified in decibels, then it is clear, not just comments comparing to a blender or 22 rimfire.
For example, how loud would a HW80 springer be in decibels ? What about a PCP Benjamin Marauder or a HW100 ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:58 pm 

Well my Kral Shooting 8.6grn at 1000FPS, shooting out of my covered porch, made my ears ring..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:22 pm 

Found it for HW80 but in .20 cal : http://www.straightshooters.com/Decibel ... rguns.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:57 pm 

Tks scanny - very interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:02 pm 

IIRC, the decibel level allowed for model air plane gas and alcohol engines in MAAC and much of the USA's model airplane club rules is 96 decibels.
In order to achieve this level, they must have somewhat effective mufflers and not be spinning undersized props. The decibel level is measured at
9 or 10 feet, from every angle, sides, front and back of the engine. No one wears hearing protection, even in areas that allow flying without mufflers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:18 pm 

I shoot full power Springer's up stairs in my house everyday. When I shoot my PCP's upstairs I wear my Noise Canceling Tactical Shooting Headset. No test needed. LOL Quietest is my .177 QB78S. Can hardly even hear it when I shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:43 pm 

You might find the following thread interesting. Only for a Benjamin Marauder, but compares decibel levels at different velocities:
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/post542517.html#p542517