Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:47 pm 

Hi all. Hope you're all doing well.

Anybody know of any sight inserts that's compatible with Weihrauch's globe sights? Looking for diopter compatible ones so looking for the open circle inserts of varying diameters.

Best regards!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:01 pm 

I don't know if these are compatible or not. Have you Googled Weihrauch
front sights?
I did and got this:
https://www.pyramydair.com/m/Weihrauch_ ... ights/5/69
I don't have the Weihrauch globe sight, so can't test to see if my other front sight apertures will fit.
I have these, both the Lyman and the 12 sheet of Pedersoli apertures.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/875/1
The Lyman inserts "appear" to be virtually the same as Weihrauch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:01 am 

Thanks for the recommendations Daryl. Much appreciated. But it looks like the search goes on. Checked out Lymans, Lee Shavers, also there's supposed to be a guy called distant thunder that makes some, not sure yet how to track him down. In the process of asking Baldwin Sights right now too. The circular inserts for those Lymans are a bit too thick for my tastes (same with the stock Weihrauch insert). The Weihrauchs are 14.6mm/0.575" in diameter. Just haven't found a set that explicitly states that.

Just tried out apertures and they're just so much fun! And the rifle handles so well. This wouldn't be an issue if I knew at the start the Weihrauch front dovetail isn't 11mm (more like 8 or 9 mm), so I can't use the front sight that came with the set. So I stuck with the Weihrauch sight. At this rate, I may just stick with the lollipop/bead insert. It's honestly not bad. I'm slightly more inclined to the circular ones though as the spokes on the side can serve as a level. It'd be nice to find a circular insert with a bead in the middle if they make those. One can wish. These are just at 15 feet but if they spread to around an inch at 20 meters I'd be very happy.

Attachments:
77peeps.jpg
77peeps.jpg [ 143.19 KiB | Viewed 782 times ]
15ft.jpg
15ft.jpg [ 148.78 KiB | Viewed 782 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:38 am 

Nice shooting, standing position? I prefer the circle with a good margin around the target myself. Really helps understand your aiming trend.

Lots of posts out there looking for weihrauch inserts. Seems custom is the only option which would be very expensive. Even with the low demand it seems strange there are no alternatives.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:58 pm 

Thanks Jackster! Lol. No nothing quite like that. It was off a lawnchair with a leg propped off a cooler using my knee as support. And only fifteen feet. Did some more research and apparently the size of the front rail is universal for German airguns. So maybe walther or diana globes can be used assuming they have a good selection of sizes for the inserts. That or as you said, go custom but that would be expensive. Or... go to a gunsmith and modify the front rail to 11mm dovetail then the options for diopters really open up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:08 pm 

Yeah apparently the old standard of 9mm. I couldn't find a good source for the diana inserts either. I think it's possible to make a shim(s) with 1/2 mm flat sheet but a less than ideal compromise. Using a newer 18mm front sight would offer the most accessible choices. I definitely prefer the acrylic inserts with no tabs but they all work.

Nice looking rifle especially with the diopter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:14 pm 

Looking pretty good, Ivan. You could open up the dovetail and use this sight. It is the globed front sight I have on my Sharps.
You would need a 3-corner file with a 'safe' side.
Aperture sights can be ALMOST as accurate as a high powered scope, once you get on to them and have 'them' adjusted properly
for lighting and distance. Having a flat black aiming point also helps. With my Sharps, the sight insert with the fine vertical and horizontal
crosshairs with circle in the middle, is perfect for a 4" diameter black bull at 100meters, so a 1" black bull at 25 meters would likely work as well
with that sight.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categori ... S-SHARPS-1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:00 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Aperture sights can be ALMOST as accurate as a high powered scope, once you get on to them and have 'them' adjusted properly
for lighting and distance.

I think most 10m competitors say the aperture is superior at that range. I'm not certain which is better. I have had some good (for me) 10m practice scores with a scope from the standing position with a tx200. My best and most consistent results are with a diopter but that's with a competitive 10m rifle which in all way superior to the tx. Could a scope yield similar or even better results on the same platform at 10m? I'm not sure. Wish I had 2 comparable 10m rifles to test.

For sure as range comes into play a scope is the winner.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:28 pm 

Might depend on the individual. A scope shooter will do better with a scope than he/she will do with apertures.
At 10 meters, being so close, I don't think it would make any difference. At longer ranges, most likely. I think
aperture sights cause more eye strain than scopes, however, practice makes perfect, or rather, perfect practice
makes perfect. The tendency to over correct movement with a scope is a real 'thing' - but again, practice.
I will note, that at 100 meters, there is little difference between scope groups and aperture groups shot from
a rest using a standard match rifle. At 200, however the apertures suffer in precision.