Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:15 pm 

I tried lots of rifles (real firearms, old spring rifle and and a few gas blowback airsoft rifles)

When i was younger i was so used to shoot my dad's old spring rifle 495 fps. which was junk but it still work today.

Decided to buy Gamo varmint 1250 fps .177 spring air rifle yesterday.

I see people on youtube struggling with its accuracy to remain consistent.

I think it is related to a problem with the scope rings or just cheap scope that comes with the rifle.

I got a Leupold stock that i could keep zeroed on my .308 bolt action rifle, im planning to put it on this rifle.

Any advices? what pellets i should be using? etc

would like to get it as accurate as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:29 pm 

10 ish grain pellets are usually recommended, if you must use a scope make sure the barrel lock up is consistent. If you get groups with a vertical spread, it's barrel lockup. If it's a side to side spread, it's probably got plastic pivot washers that should be replaced with steel.

If you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, it's probably your handling technique. Shooting a Springer is more akin to archery than to firearms if you ask me. Gotta let the gun jump where it wants and you need a solid follow through. Hanging onto it and trying to control recoil will affect accuracy.

Or it could be a broken scope.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:31 pm 

Hi, that's a powerful springer. You will want to use a heavy pellet
In it, try a JSB exact heavy and similar. You are best of around 900 fps with a .177 pellet if your hope is to get the gun to group consistently. The scope is probably fine. The reason ppl have
Grouping issues with it is probably too light pellets and inconsistent hold.
The Leopold scope may be destroyed by the double recoil of the varmint, I wouldnt risk it.
If you want a diff scope, get a springer rated scope and make sure to use scope rings or scope mount with a stop pin properly engaged in the tube.
HIH. Practice and trial and error will be needed to master the hold, recoilsnd find the right pellet.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:28 pm 

lets say the scope that comes with it sucks and cannot hold zero.

What scope do i need to buy for the double recoil spring rifles?

i wont be keeping the original scope if it cant keep zero.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:39 pm 

I have searched around for information on Leupold scopes on airguns, the manufacturer stated they guarantee them. They have a forever warranty too.
I have one I've been thinking of using but I'm still a bit hesitant :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:51 am 

Get a one piece mount

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:03 pm 

What scope you guys are suggesting? im pretty the one that will come with it is no good.

budget 100-200

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:34 pm 

I believe the kit scope with the rifle should be okay to bear with the recoil... Maybe not fancy or comes with tons of features or crystal clear glasses, But should do the job.

And I don't think 100 or 200 can get you a much better scope than that one...

HW 30s / 35e
HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 70 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:43 am 

Ill see if the scope that comes with it and keep zero, thats all what i want. no fancy stuff.

little bit of magnification, some windage and elevation adjustments and it has to keep zero.

if i want a new scope for this rifle which brand / model i should be looking for?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 am 

To be honest, a harsh shooting magnum springer is not a friendly one to scopes...

The Hawke AirMax series are said designed for springer air rifles and with good reputation.

And for a little cheaper price tag, the Discovery also provides lots of good scopes and if you read 'springer rated', it's designed for that purpose...

HW 30s / 35e
HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 70 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:12 am 

vince514 wrote:
Ill see if the scope that comes with it and keep zero, thats all what i want. no fancy stuff.

little bit of magnification, some windage and elevation adjustments and it has to keep zero.

if i want a new scope for this rifle which brand / model i should be looking for?

If you're looking for budget and shooting 50 yards or less (airguns lol) the Hawke Vantage 4X is a perfect springer scope. Don't mess with the non-lifetime warranty brands.

Hawke Vantage 4X, not only has a lifetime warranty, is pretty much indestructible for a springer.

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/hawke-va ... l-dot.html
https://dlairgun.com/collections/hawke- ... ao-mil-dot