Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:47 pm 

So I have been making some parts for a Diana 350, new piston, guides, spacers. Everything internal but the trigger and spring.
I have it tuned to the spring from an xs28 which is the Chinese copy of the 350. The spring itself from what I can tell is a little bit lighter than the original. Looked around and saw prices of springs from all the airgun spring makers, then I found a local spring manufacturer. I spoke to them, they recommend a chrome silicone wire for said application. They also supply all the info you'll ever need concerning spring design. Anyway besides the point... I can get springs made. The more I buy the cheaper it gets.

The plan is to offer a tune kit. Piston, all guides, top hats, spacers... And possibly a spring to go along with it. Seeing as how springs can vary quite a bit. Your spring could be different from my spring. Which could possibly be a bad thing. Guides and piston won't fit properly.

I guess that sort of answers my own question, but I'm feeling out the crowd here.

I haven't seen a kit that includes everything I plan to include.
So... Could there be any interest in this venture?

I appreciate any insight. I'm not looking to get rich here, just doing what I enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:45 pm 

Just a couple of things. Are you talking exclusively for the Diana 350? Also, you said you produced the parts and tuned the gun, however you did not mention anything about the results of that tune. There are tons of parts out there, but if there is no evidence that they work and improve the gun, I certainly would not invest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:55 pm 

Fair enough.
Here's the build thread.
topic88112.html

As it is now it's still in the testing phase. Just shooting it and waiting for problems.

So it's a .25 rifle. Managed to keep the power up with an easier to handle shot cycle. I am hesitant about the whole thing as I'd like to test it on a .22 platform, since they don't actually make a 350 mag in .25.

Also, as of now im working exclusively on the 350 magnum and it's variants using a t05 trigger. It's just what I have.
As for parts for the 350... Really haven't seen much besides guides and springs. I did find a guy in Europe selling guide kits with an included spring which he custom fits each kit.
Can you show me a link to a rotating piston for a 350 magnum?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:45 pm 

If you're making tune kits, it would make sense to make ones for the most popular target shooting springers.

77/97s and TXs. And to a lesser extent, the 48/52s and 54/56s. Walther really had something with the LGV and LGU too but sadly those got discontinued.

And they're almost always at sub12 and in 177. The larger cals being more efficient can mask jumpiness that will appear in 177.

Go where the demand is, the sub12 target shooters.

Tuning magnum springers seems a little niche in an already niche hobby.

Best regards!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:46 pm 

I do agree with that, totally. I only wish I had something else to play with. One day id love to get a 77.
True though, a tune up for a target rifle makes sense. It's something a lot of companies are doing already though which means competition. Or maybe there's room on the market for more?

Either way, I'm not in a huge rush. And as far as tune kits for magnums... It may be a very small niche... To the point where I couldn't find anything other than power tune kits for them.
But it makes sense. You buy a magnum expecting max power.
Hmm. Well, I did what I could to keep the power output at OEM, while reducing recoil in a sense. So technically that's not a gain... But sometimes less is more. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:33 am 

killercrow wrote:
But sometimes less is more. :wink:

Can't argue with that!

My most accurate springers run below 11fpe. But man oh man, does the wind ever kill your groups.

Not to trying to discourage you or anything. Just saying the most inclined to get the more serious (for lack of a better word) tune kits, ones with re-engineered internals, will be target shooters who want to squeeze out every last mm out of their guns. And they won't be shooting magnums.

That being said, with you having a lathe, you can already offer better fitting guides. Which is always a must.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:59 am 

If I was in the market for a tune kit it would be a Vortek.
http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/
If you had a max power kit for that .25 that smoothed it out Im sure those who have or want that cal in a springer would be interested.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:25 am 

have you bought a vortex or others and see if you can make or have made all the parts

this might be where to start

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:14 am 

killercrow wrote:
I haven't seen a kit that includes everything I plan to include.
So... Could there be any interest in this venture?

I appreciate any insight. I'm not looking to get rich here, just doing what I enjoy.

We are a small community so word of mouth counts most. Vortek seems the most popular here in NA however I have read good things on the JM kit and would likely buy that one after trying a few Vortek kits. That was for a TX200 and a Diana34 variant to which there are many. There are probably a lot less 350's out there and in relation the demand. I'm sure there are some out there who will buy to just have and try. I think most would like to see some sort of testing and results before committing any funds. From what I have seen in the past, make a few beta kits to send off to trusted members for testing and development and on confirmation of positive results begin a limited run as your time allows.

If it was me, I wouldn't. I have found numerous times that offering my services for money ruins the fun in hobbies to the point where I quit offering services and the said hobby. Numerous times and never again but that's just me.

Good luck on your venture.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:31 am 

Check out some of the forums in the UK. There are some small home shop sellers there that make similar drop in kits. If you need to know anything about sub-12fpe shooting, UK shooters know stuff.
You do excellent work. I know how much time that takes. There are no clocks in my shop for a reason.

A sign in my shop (from the Coordinator of the Aerospace Manufacturing Program at the College where I used to teach).
"Practice is when something works, but you don't know why.
Theory is when you know how something is supposed to work, but it doesn't.
In this shop, theory and practice are combined. Nothing works and nobody knows why."
and:
"Cheap, Fast, Quality. Choose any two."

I agree with Jack. I do very little for folks I don't know personally. One of my shooting buddies is a cabinet maker by trade, and does amazing stock work. I do his metal work, he does my stock work. Neither of us would consider money changing hands. We both think we have the better end of the deal...

Too soon old too late smart.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:30 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
We both think we have the better end of the deal...

IT doesn't get any better than that!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:30 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys. Hey at least I know better what to gear towards now. As for the 350 powerplant, I'll build a couple different scenarios and see what happens. I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be hard to tune for power. Focus on 30+ grain pellets and try to get a balance happening. Once I gather more knowledge, and the knowledge to use one of them spring rate calculators... :lol:
Next firearm purchase will need to be a hw77. I just like that one, blue laminate stock. Picked it out the day I first saw it :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:03 am 

killercrow wrote:
Next firearm purchase will need to be a hw77. I just like that one, blue laminate stock. Picked it out the day I first saw it :wink:

excellent choice ... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:16 am 

Vortek tunes kits are great I got a SHO in my 97k theres literaly.no sound when you shoot it and recoil is minimal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:45 pm 

Still believe there's a market for your piston and possibly spring. Many people don't have the money for several rifles, only one. That being said, most go for the power, not the most accurate.

I myself have a D350 .22, D34 .22 and Benjamin Classic .22.

D350 is by far my favourite and most accurate after tuning.

The market may not be as large, but, $700+ for an HW or TX + tuning is out of most shooters ranges, switched to PCP's. This isn't a cheap sport when into it.

Your x28/350 kit, may fit a market?, just smaller..

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk